..JAVA and license scheme..

Started by Naughty Alien, July 22, 2018, 08:18:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Naughty Alien

..today i came across this during java update..so it seems, soon enough developing with java is not free(thats how i understood it)...having said that, do you guys have any idea/info about license scheme attached to java changes?? I couldnt find anything related to it at all..

TomToad

It seems to be a bit confusing.  From what I gather, there has always been a fee associated with certain features of Java.  It is just now that Oracle is going after those who use them and don't pay.  If you only download the JavaSE version, then you should be generally ok as you would need to explicitly unlock those additional features in your code.  But there still seems to be some problems with using the SE version.  1 SE is free for general use, but whether your app is general or specialized is left for Oracle to decide. 2 If you use a non Oracle compiler that transpiles to Java, you don't know if that compiler uses those additional features in its final code or not.  3 If you do use a transpiler that uses the additional features, who pays the license?  You or the company that makes the compiler?

I think time will tell what can be safely used and what can't. 
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Pakz

From what I understood is that that from 2020 you would have to also pay to be able to run java programs on your machine. Developers wil have to make a deal with oracle to let their customers be able to use their tools/games developed in java. People who play java games like Minecraft are in this.