formatting a linux disk for windows use

Started by Ashmoor, July 19, 2018, 13:28:09

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashmoor

Is there a simple way to clean up a Linux hdd? It probably has Ubuntu installed but I don't know which version. I don't want to keep any data and can install it in a rack to operate on it from a win 10 machine. I just want it clean formatted/partitioned for a windows install. I've googled this but haven't found anything simple and I don't have a Linux installation disk to boot from it and clean the partitions.

col

QuoteI don't want to keep any data and can install it in a rack to operate on it from a win 10 machine

Right-click select the drive via a regular window ( mounted drives should be in the pane on the left, or choose 'This PC' from the pane on the left to see the drives as bigger icons that are mounted too ) and choose 'Format...'.

If its not recognised you could use the 'Disk Management' tool ( type disk manager into the search bar in the start menu ). That will show the drive and you can format/partition from there too.

I'd then clear the 'quick format' option before hitting 'Start' then go out for a nice meal :)
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Derron

During Windows installation just manage the disk partitions and remove all of them. Then create a new one - format will already be perfectly suiting for your Windows installation.

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote from: Derron on July 19, 2018, 14:42:40
During Windows installation just manage the disk partitions and remove all of them. Then create a new one - format will already be perfectly suiting for your Windows installation.
That's pretty much it. Delete every partition until you're left with one, format it, install Windows and off you go.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

> Delete every partition until you're left with one, format it [...]

Nope ... that is not strictly correct. If you leave one partition it most often wont fill up the whole disc space (eg you have 1.000 GB and have had a 250, 250, 250, 250 partition layout - your last left one will have 250 instead of 1.000 GB).
So maybe Qube wanted to say: remove all partitions until Windows tells you "unpartitioned space : XXX GB/TB/...". Create a new partition then - and the options you can set then there, are already suitable for your Windows installation.

bye
Ron

col

Clearly I've been working with forensics for too long and instantly thought of 'deep cleaning' the drive the easiest way :P
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Qube

QuoteNope ... that is not strictly correct
Sorry... forgot to cater for mr pedantic pants.

Remove all partitions until you are left with one unformated partition which matches the size of your drive. Then format that partition and install windows.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Quote from: Qube on July 20, 2018, 14:15:24
Remove all partitions until you are left with one unformated partition which matches the size of your drive. Then format that partition and install windows.

Ahh, that's perfect.

@ pedantic
If one asks for things like "formatting a drive" or "creating proper partitions" then the best solution is to try to avoid "hurdles" to climb ;-).

bye
Ron

Ashmoor

Thanks for all the replies. I did delete all partitions and created a new one the size of the whole disk. I don't want to tell you all the trouble I ran through. Getting the disk ready was the easiest part after reading your replies. It's a 2003, P4 computer, with freaking ide cables, that won't see a large usb stick and won't boot from a Windows 7 CD. I finally managed to install windows XP but the internet still doesn't work.

Derron

What you could do:

- create a Virtual Machine, create a virtual Disk (can be a real hard disk)
- boot up Windows installation there
- let it install until it tries to reboot
- power off the VM
- put the hard disk into your old computer and boot up from there
- it should try to finish the installation.

Exception are missing drivers for the mainboard (AHCI/IDE issues and the likes).

Best thing is to install Linux Mint XFCE or LXDE or so on that computer (if you just want to "use" it).

bye
Ron

Ashmoor

@Derron

I would install Linux if it was my machine, but it belongs to a neighbor with very low computer skills so she needs something she is familiar with. It had Linux installed but for some reason she could not operate it so she asked me to install windows if possible.

I figured that the internet actually worked but the old Explorer was no longer supported by most websites so it looked like nothing loaded at all. I got a new chrome version installed and now it works ok.

Thanks for all the help. Much appreciated.