Triss - Code a game competition - May 4th to June 30th

Started by Morpheus, June 30, 2018, 18:50:57

Previous topic - Next topic

Morpheus

Hi,

Here is my entry to the Code a game competition - May 4th to June 30th! Only just made it.

You can download the game for Windows or Mac at https://aaronkthorne.itch.io/triss

This is my first game entered to the SyntaxBomb competitions, I really hope that you will like and enjoy it.
It's not complete, it has a couple of bugs  :( I have some more plans for the game.

I would love to hear some feedback and comments on the game.

curtastic

I survived 13 minutes on my 4th attempt, it was pretty fun but also stressful trying to clicking the little arrows as quick as I could.

Qube

Great twist on Tetris and very well done :)

I would like the option to click and drag in the direction I want the squares to go rather than having to click on the arrows. I think that would help when things get frantic.

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

on the mac (downloaded twice)
when trying to run it says:
""Triss.app" is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the Trash."

downloading the windows version instead :)

round157

Quote from: Morpheus on June 30, 2018, 18:50:57
Hi,

Here is my entry to the Code a game competition - May 4th to June 30th! Only just made it.

Hi, Morpheus, the graphics of your game are quite nice and beautiful. Were the graphics made by you?

May I ask one more question? What language was used by you to make Triss? It is because I am making a list. Thanks a lot.

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,4763.msg17943.html#msg17943

Morpheus

Quote from: round157 on July 01, 2018, 09:47:29
Quote from: Morpheus on June 30, 2018, 18:50:57
Hi,

Hi, Morpheus, the graphics of your game are quite nice and beautiful. Were the graphics made by you?

May I ask one more question? What language was used by you to make Triss? It is because I am making a list. Thanks a lot.

https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,4763.msg17943.html#msg17943

Yes all the graphics are made by me. Made using Adobe Fireworks and Affinity Designer.

The game is written in GML, Game Maker Studio 2.

Morpheus.

Morpheus

Quote from: iWasAdam on July 01, 2018, 08:11:34

downloading the windows version instead :)

I guess MacOS doesn't like my game much then  :o

Looks like the Zip is corrupt on ITCH, going to create a DMG and re-up.

Thanks,

Morpheus

iWasAdam

I've had this with much bigger stuff like (would you believe) the latest Blender!

Morpheus

Quote from: Morpheus on July 01, 2018, 12:28:58

Looks like the Zip is corrupt on ITCH, going to create a DMG and re-up.

New Zip uploaded for Mac. Worked OK on my old Mac so hopefully will be OK now  :'(

Morpheus

Qube

Quote from: iWasAdam on July 01, 2018, 08:11:34
I had the same issue originally but unzipping with another app and not the inbuilt MacOS one did the trick.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

same problem - unzipped is trash.

Not sure how you are compressing the files. maybe try just using 'compress' and not another app?

I liked the presentation of it and the concept. but found the left tile panel a but fiddly to use and it not as rewarding as it could have been.
but the graphics and everything fitted together very well.
I did notice the hand cursor hides behind the tris logo as well :0

therevills

Nice little game, if it was a little slower it would be a nice relaxing one too! :P

I had a little bug with an overlap shape but didnt really bother me.

The music suited the game too!

Top job! I'll be playing it some more!

Morpheus

Quote from: Qube on July 01, 2018, 06:01:00
Great twist on Tetris and very well done :)

I would like the option to click and drag in the direction I want the squares to go rather than having to click on the arrows. I think that would help when things get frantic.

I am still toying with the idea of being able to drag the colours in the grid. Maybe with a key held down? Maybe with the right mouse button? I was also thinking that the game would work nicely on mobile devices. So I would have to come up with a solution for a double tap to start drawing the shapes? Lots to ponder! Any other ideas or suggestions would be welcome  ;)

Morpheus

Morpheus

Quote from: therevills on July 02, 2018, 10:49:34
Nice little game, if it was a little slower it would be a nice relaxing one too! :P

I had a little bug with an overlap shape but didnt really bother me.

The music suited the game too!

Top job! I'll be playing it some more!

Thanks for the comments: Those are the two bugs that I intend to squash as soon as possible.
1: The Logo is just being drawn in the wrong order, simples!
2: The shapes overlaying bug has been around for a while; I wanted to have a playable game ready for the competition, what with a lot going on in real life and time constraints of the competition I decided to try and fix that post entry.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Squashed the 2 game bugs:

1. Hand going below the logo.
2. Shapes no longer merge on occasion!  ;D

Time to look at the other entries and vote! Good luck to all entries.

Morpheus