Unfinished - abandoned? - projects

Started by Derron, June 24, 2018, 09:27:15

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindalfGames

I could probably fill a few pages with screen shots of all my unfished projects.

Scaremonger

In recent years I've only written two games. "The Spawning" became so complex and difficult that I abandoned it before it became too unweildy. "Fungicide" which needs a new game loop, bug fixes and the enemies that I didn't have time to add during the game competition.

I also have a Virtual Tabletop (RPG), a workflow manager, network visualisation tool, multi-log analyser, MaxGUI replacement module, Visual BMax Editor and a few utilities that never got past prototyping.

Unfinished, I have a MaxGUI form loader, MaxGUI layout manager and a Max2D GUI (Which I have started working on again recently).

I've several hundred gig of source code too that is left over from 30+ years of messing about with code that I don't want to delete in case it comes in handy (unlikely). Lol

Aurel [banned]

QuoteI've several hundred gig of source code too that is left

WOw that is really big amount of code  :o

I am wondering is anyone here who have abandoned scripting language created for game?
(Y)

Kryzon

Thinking back, almost every game idea I had and tried making some assets and code for, were clones of games that I had just played. 
I was 12 at the time I first tried Blitz (it came in a CD magazine, a full copy of Blitz Basic along with samples and the source code to GfK's Hole in One), so this meant clones of late 90's games (PSX, N64, Win95).

Lots of unfinished projects. 
During those years, the act of starting a new project was always more fun than the act of finishing it. 
Later on I started just focusing on prototyping a cool mechanic or special effect or some other self-contained demo (the code and assets to a fully functional decorated health bar, for example).

3DzForMe

Quote. Lots of unfinished projects.
During those years, the act of starting a new project was always more fun than the act of finishing it.     

Hmmm, I confess to being a little (.... Or a lot....) Like that with most of my projects.... The joy of Hobby coding 😁
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

degac

Abandoned projects... I have a cemetery on my hd :D!

The last one is a game started in 2008 (!!!) - worked for ten years (not full time, time to time), then stopped again put on hold and forgotten about it since 2 weeks ago.
Everything runs (incredible!), levels, tutorials, even a demo version, but then I noticed that the 'graphics' is for a game of 10 years ago! Coded with 640x480 pixel, then changed to 'manage' higher resolutions (800x600 and 1024x480) ... but on a standard Monitor HD 16:9 (1980x1080) it simply ... SUCKS!

Then tons of test code... ideas, project and so on.

Everything put in hold to follow 'job' programs... very boring.
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

Aurel [banned]

but then I noticed that the 'graphics' is for a game of 10 years ago! Coded with 640x480 pixel,
I like this old 640x480...do you can relese it as open source?
(Y)

Santiago

I have many abandoned projects, and those that are finished few people play them.

Now I am with a nice personal project of airplanes, which amuses me a lot to program and play it! Even so, I notice that nowadays there is little feedback or interest from the player community.

I don't know where to find motivation, feedback, advice or support, ideas or criticism.

It would be ideal to have a project sector that has a cover image, title, and direct link to the project post within the forum ...

MY IDEA :

Maybe you could make a simple page like a Project Cover within this forum, like Popcorn but from our games and projects.

The current game:
Blitz3D
link    https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,7571.0.html

degac

Quote from: Aurel on April 10, 2020, 16:01:13
but then I noticed that the 'graphics' is for a game of 10 years ago! Coded with 640x480 pixel,
I like this old 640x480...do you can relese it as open source?

Indeed I'm thinking about this!
A part of me has already decided to re-make it in a lighter form (no tutorials, no multi-user etc) to simplify and focus on the core-game.
Another one just started to re-write (in a better and more sophisticated way!) some parts of the script... again ETA for 2029  :P

LOL! I even made a mistake about the date !!!

http://www.graphio.net/?p=71

In a post on my blog it was in beta on november 2007!!!! Oh my God...

It would be interesting to have the PAGE OF PROJECTS (all the ideas or even prototypes) to see when and what reach a final stage of some sort :-)
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

MrmediamanX

4 unfinished projects here, oddly all fan games.
The sonic game technically is complete but unreleased due to incompatibility issues.
The jet set radio game had 3 playable areas.
The zool and Jazz jack rabbit game got as far as a 2 level demo.
I'm also sitting on 3 complete personal projects but waiting to drop toward the end of the year. ;D
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Aurel [banned]

QuoteIndeed I'm thinking about this!
If is not top secret game or any other program why not.
It looks to me that this forum need something  like OPEN SOURCE ABANDONED GAMES.
(Y)

Derron

Quote from: MrmediamanX on April 11, 2020, 10:10:51
4 unfinished projects here, oddly all fan games.
The sonic game technically is complete but unreleased due to incompatibility issues.
[...]

If you live in a country there legal issues matter, I would really avoid releasing something like this into the wild. You most probably are sued (they need to take actions to not loose their trademarks).

-> just replace with other characters and you'll be fine in many cases.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

If you live in a country there legal issues matter, I would really avoid releasing something like this into the wild. You most probably are sued

Yeah it's a waste of time working on clones because you're likely to get hassle.  Best change the graphics and introduce some new ideas to the mix.  They all look great by-the-way.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

MrmediamanX

QuoteYeah it's a waste of time working on clones because you're likely to get hassle.  Best change the graphics and introduce some new ideas to the mix.

To true, coming up with original concepts/art/characters is certainly not out of my league.
I'm always wary of legalities when it comes to things such as these.
Sega is generally fine with sonic fan games, can't much about the others. I usually jump in on a dead IP then jump out just as quick.
It's a thing that doe's when it don't..

Matty

I don't know if I'd call these unfinished but my development folder has an area marked as 'unbuilt' for when I get an idea, copy my engine, supply a title and brief design description....and then leave it alone.

So I have a lot of game ideas which have had zero work done bar the title and game description filled in...the code is a bare engine and that's it....