Am I an idiot.

Started by Borislav, June 06, 2018, 22:27:28

Previous topic - Next topic

Borislav

I made a system to make the textures smaller by making a system in which when you go far away, you will have textures with less and less quality.
And I just realised that is called mipmapping and it is built-in into 3D engines.
Fuck..  ???
I am a dumbarse lmao.

MagosDomina

Unless your technique produces better results? Mip mapping is not something you want if you're trying to create a certain aesthetic.

Borislav

Quote from: MagosDomina on June 06, 2018, 23:26:31
Unless your technique produces better results? Mip mapping is not something you want if you're trying to create a certain aesthetic.
I was trying to reduce memory usage LMAO.

col

QuoteI am a dumbarse lmao.

To be quite honest I think the exact opposite...
I was reading a reddit chat one time and a guy posted about he had made a complete system similar to mip-mapping. Most of the replies gave him a hard time with similar reactions to your own - 're-inventing mip-maps'. But I thought to myself - hold on, this guy has come up with this complete system without prior knowledge of mip-maps what-so-ever, whereas I would bet money that ALL of the other coders had to read about it in a tute or book somewhere. ie they didn't have the smarts to think it up themselves!!

So yeah...
My 2 pennies is 'well done' :)
Unless of course you already knew about mip-maps then yeah... maybe your original statement does have a little merit, hehe  :))
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

GaborD

Yeah, it's great feat that you have done it and not necessarily useless either.
Mipmapping is not just for aesthetics, it also boosts speed by a lot due to the lookups essentially going into small textures at range and caching effects kicking in.
So for certain aesthetic approaches, where traditional mipmapping doesn't fit the bill due to it's inherent blurriness at range, a system like this could be very useful.

Hardcoal

trust me you're not an idiot..
it happen to us all. or at least to me.. when i made stuff that already made by engines..
Its the outcome of working alone..
we pay heavy price for that.. thats why its always better to work in groups..
i know better.

I still pay heavily for working alone im quite certain of that
Code

Derron

Working on your own saves time as you mostly will skip writing a documentation which you will else have to write when working in groups :-)
... not that writing documentations is a "necessary evil".

I am glad to live in the times of the "internet" rather than having to look for books explaining certain stuff. There is so much on the world one _could_ know that it is sheer to much to know everything.
Also things are just becoming more and more complex - of course for 3D math you mostly need to know about pi, sin, cos, tan (and arcus-variants) plus how vertices work. Thats nearly all.  But hey, if you want to build a house are you really to needing to know how bricks are made and how the isolation around cables is produced?
You only need to know such things if you are not satisfied with buyable bricks or the isolation of cables (read: mip-maps of textures in in this thread).

bye
Ron

Borislav

Quote from: Derron on June 07, 2018, 19:00:41
Working on your own saves time as you mostly will skip writing a documentation which you will else have to write when working in groups :-)
... not that writing documentations is a "necessary evil".

I am glad to live in the times of the "internet" rather than having to look for books explaining certain stuff. There is so much on the world one _could_ know that it is sheer to much to know everything.
Also things are just becoming more and more complex - of course for 3D math you mostly need to know about pi, sin, cos, tan (and arcus-variants) plus how vertices work. Thats nearly all.  But hey, if you want to build a house are you really to needing to know how bricks are made and how the isolation around cables is produced?
You only need to know such things if you are not satisfied with buyable bricks or the isolation of cables (read: mip-maps of textures in in this thread).

bye
Ron
I know pi(at least the first numbers: 3.14), sin, cos, tan, cot, sec, scs and vertices.

Borislav

Quote from: col on June 07, 2018, 11:59:00
QuoteI am a dumbarse lmao.

To be quite honest I think the exact opposite...
I was reading a reddit chat one time and a guy posted about he had made a complete system similar to mip-mapping. Most of the replies gave him a hard time with similar reactions to your own - 're-inventing mip-maps'. But I thought to myself - hold on, this guy has come up with this complete system without prior knowledge of mip-maps what-so-ever, whereas I would bet money that ALL of the other coders had to read about it in a tute or book somewhere. ie they didn't have the smarts to think it up themselves!!

So yeah...
My 2 pennies is 'well done' :)
Unless of course you already knew about mip-maps then yeah... maybe your original statement does have a little merit, hehe  :))
I didn't really know what it is.
I looked at games and realised that they actually make textures smaller when the distance is further to minimise memory usage.
So I made a system that detected the distance of the character and then load the smaller texture and free the larger one.
Also, for some reason, I suddenly got more memory usage after doing something(went from 450mb to 700mb).

Matty

No, you are not an idiot.

Yes you tried to reinvent something that existed.

But no - to come up with such an idea shows a good mind that seeks to explore possibilities of optimising...even if it got it wrong...so you're good.

meems

part of intelligence is admitting being an idiot. It seems like a contradiction, but it isn't. The other way to say it is an honest fool is smart, while an idiot refuses to admit foolishness to himself.
This aspect of intelligence has been substantiated by deepmind's alphazero, which learns by failing half the time and admitting it.

Qube

QuoteThis aspect of intelligence has been substantiated by deepmind's alphazero, which learns by failing half the time and admitting it.
Which fits in with old classic saying of "Learn from your mistakes"
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.