OpenGL/ES to be deprecated on mac/iOS

Started by Brucey, June 05, 2018, 16:52:36

Previous topic - Next topic

Brucey

The next versions of macOS and iOS are deprecating OpenGL.

Have fun.

Metal ftw !

8)

Qube

Cor, I wonder if they'd leave it as depreciated or actually move on and remove OpenGL altogether?

If they do remove it completely then that is going to screw up a lot of app and games. Seems a silly move to force propriety in an ever expanding open world. Then again, that's Apple.

Wonder if AGK will move to the Metal API now or am I looking at a couple more years use before it's cobbled :o

Interesting news to keep my beady eyes on.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

No bloody surprise, Apple seem to think they do not have an obligation to support their customers.  Upgrade or shut up.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on June 05, 2018, 22:24:07
No bloody surprise, Apple seem to think they do not have an obligation to support their customers.  Upgrade or shut up.
I hope they are not falling backwards into full on Apple proprietary stuff only, for everything, no exceptions. OpenGL is THE cross platform API and I do think it'd be a big mistake to remove it completely and kill of loads of apps and games. The excuse that developers should update their older apps / games just wouldn't fly this time around.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Naughty Alien

..well..one thing is clear for sure...now we know why Apple calling macOS, 'Mojave'..

GaborD

Doesn't really surprise me.
It's Apple afterall, they always go out of their way to be customer-unfriendly.

I am guessing most ported AAA games already used Metal, so not much change there, but smaller devs will prolly just say "Eff it, not worth the hassle"

iWasAdam

Can't help thinking the same as Naughty Alien with the name.
Looking into my crystal ball I see dark days ahead for intel chips too on Apple desktop...

ENAY

I still remember when OpenGL was brand new, back then I was using it in Visual Basic (of all things) Hard to believe it's becoming obsolete, will DirectX be next? What with Unity trying to unify all operating systems and platforms with its one compile option, seems weird to be destroying entier gfx systems on a particular OS.

Maybe I'm just old and OpenGL is no longer needed, I have no idea.

Henri

As I understand it, OpenGL is not coming obsolete as it's actively developed. Apple just hasn't implemented updates for their systems in a long time.
Also there is massive amount of software that relies on OpenGL.

-Henri
- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

ENAY

Oh I get it!

In the next release of iPhone. iPad, iPants. It's going to be brought back into iOS, but they will call it a revolutionary new support. "OpenGL support at last thanks to the power of iPhone 11".
Or something as scammy.

Kryzon

Quote from: ENAY on June 06, 2018, 05:56:03Hard to believe it's becoming obsolete, will DirectX be next?
OpenGL still has some modern versions which will stay for a while, like GL ES and WebGL (basically the same thing, for web). But the new shiny thing from the GL side is Vulkan.

It takes GL's place in the next generation of low-level APIs, along with DirectX 12 (so it's still active) and this Metal thing:
https://aras-p.info/blog/2015/03/13/thoughts-on-explicit-graphics-apis/

Amon

knowing apple they will force the update and make you pay for it.

Steve Elliott

I really don't understand why apple have to be such isolation arseholes.

They signed up to bring a new graphical standard in Vulcan with a group of industry companies, but instead stole the ideas and produced their own version!  Metal.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb