Yikes! This isn't going to end well.

Started by ENAY, May 31, 2018, 02:51:41

Previous topic - Next topic

ENAY

I bet all of you have been recieving e-mails on mass about "We're changing our privacy policy"
Is this something to do with it?

How can they put a "tax on weblinks" ?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvXOfq3AB8s

It sounds worrying indeed. Worse than all the SOPA stuff.

Qube

This is just typical of the EU bureaucracy and why I loathe the whole thing. Don't get me wrong, I've nothing against EU member states at all, it's just I really dislike the EU parliament and it's ever growing power hungry megalomania dictatorship. Those cobweb covered idiots just love power, money and control. The ultimate goal of the EU dictatorship is to have a United States of Europe. Those bunch of corrupt ( and I say corrupt as billions of euro's vanishes every year with no accountability ) unelected, power hungry, interfering dictators need to fall and the sooner the better.

What ever happened to just having free movement of goods within the EU? - That was a great idea. That was the original idea. But oh no, they couldn't just stop there. The EU dictatorship has more mission / feature creep than all the hobby coders put together.

Anyway, digression aside... Link tax? - Love to see how the EU dictatorship is going to enforce that one globally.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Naughty Alien

..EU shouldn't exists on the first place..countries should go back to its origins and create free trade zone within Europe and thats perfect..this current setup is nothing but a mutant with no real purpose to exists but to enslave people...literally..

ENAY

I've been reading into it and it sounds really bad.

Since linked websites and linked source of references will be taxed, if an independent news source and not the MSM uses them, they can claim copyright. Yes, websites and data will be copyrighted so you can't just use them.

The European Union don't want another Brexit THAT much...
If you don't have any good ideas, destroy all the good ideas so only bad ideas are left.

I tried accessing

https://www.facebook.com/hashtag/deleteart13?source=feed_text

and it said my account had been using suspicious activity and I needed to enter a phone number to continue. Some serious shit is going down, that's for sure.

GaborD

This is what you get when you combine crony capitalist lobbying and authoritarian tendencies with old out of touch politicians who have no real clue about the topics they discuss.
Was to be expected to be honest.

Henri

I take it that you are all British ?

-Henri
- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

Holzchopf

I feel like there's a certain negativity in this community ::) I've watched the video and think think there are a few assumptions made. Or statements I'd like to have explained :-\

I mean:
Quote from: https://saveyourinternet.euHow is it threatened? The European Commission and the Council want to destroy the Internet as we know it and allow big companies to control what we see and do online. Should Article 13 of the Copyright Directive proposal be adopted, it will impose widespread censorship of all the content you share online. The European Parliament is the only one that can step in and Save your Internet.

Yeah, the question in title is good. But does the text answer it in any way? NO. Every statement in this text brings the "how is the internet threatened?" up again. Perfect example of a clickbait lead-in. I you'd like me to take that seriously, quote passages of this article 13 and explain "how this threatens the internet", please.

Oh, and: The copyright is nothing new - there are not GOING TO BE copyrighted websites and data because THEY ALREADY EFFING ARE! Everything in the world is someone's creation and therefore copyrighted - unless clearly "copyleft". If you're afraid of not being able to use copyrighted material any more, you're basically admitting using someone else's creation. And in that case I have bad news for you: Using copyrighted stuff without consent can get you in trouble already today.

It has also been stated, that "Online platforms [...] will be held liable for copyright infringement". I thought this was already the case for a long time? ???

Look at the bright side: If you create something and know it won't be seen anywhere around the world due to filtering, you might probably consider putting it under a creative commons license or similar, increasing accessibility. Especially when it comes to knowledge; sharing is caring ;)

edit ALSO: this could increase awareness about stuff being copyrighted by default. Finally.

Derron

> Everything in the world is someone's creation and therefore copyrighted - unless clearly "copyleft".

As you seem to come from a DACH country (Deutschland - Germany, Austria, Confoederatio Helvetica - Swiss) you might know about the "Urheberrecht" which conflicts a tiny bit with the "copyleft" thing as we can only do a "gemeinfrei" (free for everyone) but no "Public Domain". Similar stuff can be said about other countries. There might even be "kingdoms" which have a "everything you do is property of the king"-law (not a real law if executive judicative and legislative are a one-man-show).

The real problem of everything is: if someone from Ghana tells you that the thing they uploaded is "copyleft" and you use it until someone approaches claiming ownership of that "copyleft" item, you are fu**ed. You could try to get back the sued money from the Ghana dude but good luck. Also to sue someone you need to make sure to have a lawyer in that country (you cannot take your German lawyer to sue an Brazilian ... ok, that topic would lead to the ACTA/TTIP/... discussions as they would allow such thing under certain circumstances).

Regarding "governmental directed internet": do not think of your level of intelligence but of the "intelligence of the masses". They need to get protected as they are also allowed to vote who becomes "the government" (directly or indirectly - they are allowed to do their "democratic duty"). As long as you allow the dumb mass to use the internet, you have to accept all the limitations which come with this "right". And without the dumb mass you might get a more liberate internet - but way less people to sell your stuff, to read your "not that advanced" fan fictions, play your "indie games", buy your pop-music, ...

People also accept that using a street needs all "users" to follow certain rules. So a small restriction in the internet does have similar effects. The amount of spice makes a meal delicious or non-eatable. Same for laws, restrictions and so on.

bye
Ron

GaborD

Yeah, sure, the video is one sided. There are surely also good intentions by people working on this and copyright should be enforced much better (especially on the net).
None the less what is being proposed is another big step on a very slippery slope and will lead to a huge mess.
Some of the rules sound like they will kill off legitimate businesses/platforms, or at least make them much less maintainable in the EU. (which probably means some of the patform holders will just exclude the EU from their business)

They essentially went like this:
"Hey Voss, I want to hang a picture, there is a nail that needs to be hammered into this wall"... "Sure, no problem, let me get my 20 ton wrecking ball."

Naughty Alien

..not really..just a pissed off folks who cant see country built by our ancestors getting mugged by cheap thugs from africa and what not, while native people struggling because of that.. >:D >:D

Qube

Quote from: Henri on May 31, 2018, 09:53:49

Lol, what's that got to do with it? :P

Quote from: Holzchopf on May 31, 2018, 10:34:36
I feel like there's a certain negativity in this community ::)

I'll put my hand up and say yes, I'm fed up with the dictatorship, money grabbing and interference from the unelected EU parliament. For years and years they've grabbed more power, demanded more money, overridden sovereign countries laws and gone way beyond the initial mandate behind the EU.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Xerra

Quote from: Qube on May 31, 2018, 14:23:13
I'll put my hand up and say yes, I'm fed up with the dictatorship, money grabbing and interference from the unelected EU parliament. For years and years they've grabbed more power, demanded more money, overridden sovereign countries laws and gone way beyond the initial mandate behind the EU.

I'm going to second that. I hate politics and anything to do with it but I generally don't comment on the subject because I've only voted a few times, so I'd be a hypocrite for moaning about something I had a chance to vote on but didn't.

I'm one of the many who voted for Brexit - not because I don't like countries being joined at the hip and all  the good things that would bring, but because it's run by money-grabbing, greedy assholes who are just in it to line their own pockets, or grasp as much power as they can get. None of them give any kind of toss about Joe-Public - in any of the countries they're supposed to represent.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Henri

- Got 01100011 problems, but the bit ain't 00000001

ENAY

If Brexit means we don't have to abide by the EU rules, then Brexit can't come soon enough.

I was reading Github's statement on the matter.

https://help.github.com/articles/github-privacy-statement/

I honestly don't know how Github is going to be operate. What are they going to do, ban EU countries from using it? That seems to be the only option to be honest. They can hardly change the way the site operates, I mean the whole things works on the exact opposite principle.

Qube

Quote from: Henri on May 31, 2018, 21:00:00
I hear you :-).
( plus youtube video )
LOL, that's a pretty funny video.

We all knew that if Brexit was voted in then it would lead to the market big wigs panicking. Of course that would happen. Any time a major shift in the accepted / norm happens then it's bound to have an effect. You can't make great forward progress by holding on to the short term up and down happy medium. At some point you have to take a leap of faith and Brexit is a leap of faith that the UK will succeed in ( proving our politicians don't cave in ). There is no reason for the EU to punish, mock and ridicule beyond its own self serving needs.

Over many years I've grown real tired of the EU overruling UK law, imposing laws, introducing laws, demanding more and more money, dictating who can come into the UK and who can't. For example, an unemployed ex con from an EU member state can breeze into the UK with pretty much no questions asked, yet a highly skilled Indian surgeon and his family have much less chance. What kind of backward system is that?. Priority for immigrants should be based on skill set and not their country of origin dictated by the EU parliament.

Of course there are those that shout loudly that everyone who voted for Brexit are far right racists. Hmm, from my point of view giving priority to EU states over the rest of the world is both Xenophobic and racist. Surely the moral high ground for EU values should be to encompass global talent and not just those in the little / big boys club?

As said before, I've no problem with any EU member state whatsoever. My issue is with the napoleon complex EU parliament so desperate to have power.

I do have a lot more to rant about but I think I'm bordering on being added to some auto bot anti EU watch list :P

Until the next time.