BLEAK - Open World Blitz3D

Started by Zeotrope, May 29, 2018, 12:38:06

Previous topic - Next topic

chalky

That looks really impressive, though I hope if it gets released as a game it will be possible to turn off that sideways sway. I had to stop watching your video as it started to give me motion sickness...

Naughty Alien

..so what is it that you actually do in this game ?

GrindalfGames

Its great to see other people still using Blitz3D :D
Impressive graphics, A little dark for my liking but still very impressive. Head sway was nice but a little disorientating(maybe you get used to it after a while)

NRJ

IF YOU CAN DREAM IT,  YOU CAN DO IT...

http://www.nksoftgames.blogspot.com

Steve Elliott

I like the visuals and general atmosphere, but like NA said - ..so what is it that you actually do in this game ?
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Nice visuals and sound/ambience.  Expected to hear a foot on wood sound when crossing the bridge and your reflection when looking in the water but I suspect there is alot still to be done.

What's the plan with this?

Zeotrope

Cheers for the feedback.

Just to clarify, this is barely a game but if it needs to be described via an objective, I guess it would be fit in the "Open World Survival" category; The idea (wip) around BLEAK is that of a player who finds himself beginning an ordeal of survival in 1 of 5 different scenarios. Dune Island for example is a Desert Island. The player must fend for himself and survive until a set condition is met (yet to be disclosed). Other planned scenarios are Evergreen (forest), Space, Snow etc.

As for being a little dark, the above demonstration is testing ATMOSPHERICS (rain / gloom / thunder etc) and is only set to early morning. My engine has a dynamic 24hr cycle.

Can the head bob (motion sway) be turned down / off ? Sure.

Current challenges include the eventual implementation of an LOD system for my 32K objects scattered about the island. There is a thread in the Blitz3d section of this website requesting ideas / solutions.

Additionally, there is an editor (gui) that I created to help me with this project. You can see more here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVCtFXksamM&t=114s

GrindalfGames

Naughty Alien

..looks very nice, and im really happy to see yet another very well done game with old B3D..nice work man..

GaborD

very nice indeed. I like the moody setting.

chalky

Wow - that editor looks seriously impressive!

Steve Elliott

Good luck with your project  :)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Kronos

Very good. Its got a bit of a Stalker vibe. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter what engine you use, if you have the imagination and put some work in you can achieve great things. Are you doing any addmeshing for the grass and trees or is everything single entities.

Zeotrope

Quote from: Kronos on May 30, 2018, 19:40:58
Very good. Its got a bit of a Stalker vibe. Just goes to show that it doesn't matter what engine you use, if you have the imagination and put some work in you can achieve great things. Are you doing any addmeshing for the grass and trees or is everything single entities.

Cheers.

Both trees and grass are all single entities. ie: grass is made up of a small set of quads arranged in a circular group. No LOD routine for these objects currently exists. But I'm working on it in order to boost up the fps. I'm getting mixed results depending on my set view distance coupled with the direction in which i'm facing. This needs to be fixed as I cant really move forward in this project until I know the limits of my engine. Good old DX7 really needs to go imho