Openb3d (FreeTexture crash)

Started by markcwm, June 12, 2017, 16:48:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Naughty Alien

..okay..got it working now..it was related to installed version of BMX..very nice :) .. thank you for kind assistance man..

markcwm

I haven't tried building openb3d with Blide yet but as Krischan wrote, it should work except with 64 bit NG. You should be able to build with Maxide NG but I just use command line.

Naughty, I don't really know what was going on there but maybe you had brl mods built with another MinGW version. Also I see you're testing the Action sample. Well there's a bug with that, it crashes when deleting them but I will try to fix it.

Naughty Alien

its working now very nice..im just wondering, how can i enable syntax coloring for OpenB3D commands inside BLIDE ?

markcwm

Goto Tools > Preferences > Advanced > Use complete BlitzMax module highlighting and restart Blide.

Naughty Alien

...thank you very much...this is now something nice to work with.. :)

..what 3d file formats are supported ?? B3D only ??

GW

I think it's the same as bb.  b3d and static X. probably no md2 or  3ds

Naughty Alien

..ahh..thats not so good..im wondering is there any roadmap to integrate FBX ? Anyway, regarding animation, is it hardware skinning or same as bb had, which was really FPS killer ? And, what would be proper way to export B3D (static or animated) from 3dsmax (2014+)

markcwm

No roadmap but I'll make one as it will help.

There is an assimp module but it only loads static models, Brucey tried to add animation but I don't think he succeeded. This might be the easiest option but assimp is a big library, it adds something like 30MB to the exe. I shelved my assimp branch as I intend to port at least one good animation format. I chose ms3d as it is well supported but haven't got any progress with it, I think I found fbx too complex.

Animation formats are b3d and md2 (in md2 textures are applied manually). I don't use 3dsmax.

Angros answered a question about hardware skinning so I'll quote. I'll try to get a demo of this hardware mode in use.
QuoteAnimations use software skinning (maybe it's slower, but works everywhere), plus a special hardware mode taken from the MiniB3D Monkey port: all frames are pre-calculated in software, then loaded in the video memory: it's less smooth, since there is no tweening, but it requires almost no computation neither from the CPU, nor from the GPU; it uses more video memory, but makes instancing possible, so if you have many copies of the same mesh, it could actually use less memory)

Naughty Alien

..i see..i hope file format will be upgraded as FBX seems to be considered as a standard today, and it does offer a lot more than B3D, so i thought that should be proper direction in development, which includes hardware skinning, because, it is somewhat important actually, if you happen to have certain amount of characters on scene..

markcwm

I've uploaded a fix for FreeAction crashing. So the actions.bmx example doesn't crash any more when you press Space. I had to edit actions.cpp as well. I added a new function EndAction to manually end actions, as this wasn't possible but it has the drawback of having to wait a second before freeing them or it will crash, if I wait about under 5ms it crashes. I don't see any way round it other than to wait.

markcwm

Krischan, could I ask you to remove the "fixed" version of Minib3d please? As all I did was change a few overloading types as I didn't know about the NG -w option. So it's just confusing. ::)

markcwm

QuoteI don't see any way round it other than to wait.

Okay, I think I fixed it. No need for timer hacks now. I used ironically, a timer to check if it was still active.

Krischan

Quote from: markcwm on June 26, 2017, 00:52:22
Krischan, could I ask you to remove the "fixed" version of Minib3d please? As all I did was change a few overloading types as I didn't know about the NG -w option. So it's just confusing. ::)
Ok, I've removed the links to it from this thread.
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
Metaverse | Blitzbasic Archive | My Github projects

Yue

Which is better, miniB3D or OpenB3D?

What is the difference between these two modules?

markcwm

The main difference is Minib3d Legacy/vanilla and Warner Engine are OGL 1, whereas Minib3d Extended, Minib3d+ and Openb3d are OGL 2, this is because of shaders so you can't run these versions in OGL 1. There's also a version of Minib3d combined with Warner engine features, quaternions and terrains and I think it also has shaders, stencil shadows and MD2 which are the main features in Minib3d Extended. Minib3d+ has a few advanced shaders like SSAO, I'm not sure what else as I couldn't run it (due to the updated GLEW version). I don't know how stable these versions are. Openb3d has all those features except not advanced shaders but things like bumpmap, toon shading, pixel fog and is stable and easier to use. There's also code sitting on the forum where features were added to Minib3d Legacy like batch sprites, Openb3d has this too plus examples, which most other Minib3d versions are lacking. Openb3d also has the same syntax as Minib3d, it uses pointers internally but porting code is quite easy.

I decided to make this wrapper because Angros had already taken all the best features in the different Minib3d versions and put them together, this requires you to know OGL really well and I didn't.