Wasteland Warriors - [Retro Strategy] Code A Game Competition - May/June 2018

Started by STEVIE G, May 20, 2018, 18:34:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

As it is "3D" you could add some camera-zoom-to-action effects if you die... or if you win ;-)

or some camera rotation around the winner - similar to micro machines when you win.

bye
Ron

STEVIE G

Quote from: Derron on May 26, 2018, 07:40:41
As it is "3D" you could add some camera-zoom-to-action effects if you die... or if you win ;-)

or some camera rotation around the winner - similar to micro machines when you win.

bye
Ron

Definately.  I wan't to get the zoom working in dynamic way that so that the further the cursor is from your car the more it zooms out and if you move far enough away the whole level can be seen, centered on screen.  This will save me having to have a map and keep the UI to a minimum.

I want to stick to full mouse control and at the moment the mouse wheel lets you zoom in/out.  The distance the cursor is to the vehicle determines the desired speed and the angle between the cursor and the vehicle heading determines the desired turning circle.  Your acceleration and brakes impact how quickly you can get to that desired speed so it could take 3 turns to get to slow right down and 4 to get to full speed.  Your speed also impacts your maximum turning circle.  There will be no reverse gear or stopping.  Left click moves your vehicle (and all others), right click changes the angle the machine gun aims at (relative to the vehicle heading).  This means that if you aim the gun to the left of the car and move, the gun will always target to the local left - so that you can broadside enemies. 

I'm keeping the levels relatively small so that you have to use the environment and it doesn't take 20 turns to catch up with some enemies.

STEVIE G

Quick update.  Added shooting, particles and started working on the in game UI.  The icons on the left are mine,booster, double damage, shield and repair.  The power bars on the right are life and armour and the middle button executes the turn.

Also, added in a quick routine which lightens the terrain the further from rocks/water hazzards you are ... makes a nice subtle pathway I think.

Derron

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

col

I really like where this is heading too  :P

Some crazy off-the-wall Mad-Max style weapons would be awesome :D
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

Qube

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.