Sacred Lands - Code a game competition - May 4th to June 30th

Started by iWasAdam, May 17, 2018, 06:14:40

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

Added swarmers - they don't do anything, just lots of them and they home to you... if they get near... BANG!

(sorry for the dark pic - it was raining!)

Love the idea of tiny spiders. possibly drop an egg that pulsates and then lots of little spiders come out...

I like the way this has morphed into a mashup of Zarch, The Sentinel and probably Defender  :))

Derron

"Tentacloid"
water alien with long arms ... attacking trees built too near at the waters

"Morphoid"
Can morph into "ground/trees/..." to cover from attacking trees. while morphed/covered it cannot get attacked by automatic attacks. They cover every x seconds for y seconds.

Lumber Jacks
They wear some kind of saws at their arms - with them they can attack the trees (faster). Their only aim is to remove trees from the island

Night Walkers
They benefit from dark skies (night, rain) and gain red-moon-power during that times, making their damage poisoned (slowly removing health from attacked trees). Poison adds (weakened) poison-effect to directly-neighbouring trees.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Broken Egg with mites:

They are a bit dumb (not too dumb) but there are lots of them and they are quick

Derron

Dunno how good they (baby spiders) are able to get distinguished from the grown up ones.

As I see these "green rocks": you might consider having some "randomness" on them. Eg you could mark vertices as "randomable" - if they are not random, they become "normal" to the surrounding 4 vertices (so it looks "flat"). Randomess would allow a bit of varying surfaces of the rocks - or just create small "pieces" which clump together to form a "rock formation".

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Tweaking and refining now. recoded the height system so it is calculated once per map and all enemies, etc get their height from this. Means the walk smoothly up and down the sides of hills now :)

When an obelisk is 'eaten' an egg is laid. and mite come out of eggs... mites walk sideways...

The Mites got me - ship just exploding...

You can also see the scanner now has colored blobs for each enemy type

Xerra

Can't wait to have a look at this game Adam. Just have a feeling it's going to be fantastic.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

iWasAdam

Thanks for that Xerra. It's certainly going to be something different.

The only thing I can now say is testing, testing, testing...

iWasAdam

iWasAdam

now working on UI bits:

The main ship is called 'Sacred'
so the title Sacred Lands becomes a pun. as in the lands that are sacred and also the ship that lands...

iWasAdam

Sacred UI complete:  :D

col

I have to say that this is looking pretty damn awesome  8)
https://github.com/davecamp

"When you observe the world through social media, you lose your faith in it."

iWasAdam

Derron

Regarding outline-screenshot:

I think it might look better if the hull was not totally outline-only but some kind of "semi transparent" (just 10% opacque or so).

For now it looks too "blunt" or hmm "base color"ish (hard to describe). Having the individual lines "shaded" (different colors) does not make it look better imho.

Underline of "thrust vectors" is shorter than the text (while for "sacred" the line is longer) - maybe increase length to "max length" of the texts at the end. That "indicator line" could be skipped at all - just start a bezier-curve left of the text and end at the desired spot. or do some "circle line circle" thing

o-------o thrust vectors

Skip that line altogether if you cannot select other parts of the ship (means "thrust vectors" is always displayed).

@ font choice
Remember to only use this "harder to read scifi-font" only for captions. Text blocks should be written in a more standard font face to ease readability.

Enough nitpicked. Have to prepare for a wedding now (not mine, have had mine some years ago already :-)). Booze time.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Text sorted :)
we've now got a win situation. Where the trees all bloom and everything looks lovely...