Is the forum GDPR/EU-DSGVO ready?

Started by MikeHart, May 17, 2018, 15:13:39

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeHart

Just being curious, is the forum taking care of the GDPR/EU-DSGVO regulations that are coming on the 25th in full force here in europe?

Qube

Being as SyntaxBomb is a personal site and not a business then ermm, no ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Just added privacy statements to my websites today - and removed all ads from my game-website, so it should no longer be classified as "commercial".

I think that whole thing is similar annoying to the "this site uses cookies..."-stuff (might even be needed for session-cookies, so nothing "processed data"-esque).

I also added it to tvtower.org even if the whole game is non-commercial - if someone was able to convince courts that it is commercial, then it would be sueable for not having gdpr/dsvgo-stuff online.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

I think that whole thing is similar annoying to the "this site uses cookies..."-stuff (might even be needed for session-cookies, so nothing "processed data"-esque).

Agreed.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

Goodness gracious.. The whole internet freedom/binary wild-west thing is going down the toilet. Gone are the days of 'virtual' freedom and anarchy.  :(

Everything has to be overly regulated, controlled and limited by govs. For some may sound like a good thing but actually isn't: it's protectionism by the forces that be, ruling over the little guy at their expense.

Of course for terrorists, violent criminals or serious sex offenders: yay, go out and get them with my blessing, but the whole the is just a grabbing back control by the power hungry people who feel they lost some.

Who could have thought that the power and money hungry music and film industry would manage to ever get back control over downloads? Everyone said can't that cat back in the bag, but here we go. And mind you: this is just the beginning.

Pretty soon(give it 15-20 years max) you'll be chipped for otherwise you cannot be seen by driverless cars & drones, pay, travel or identify yourself. All under the umbrella and false reason of safety and benefit to society.

Steve Elliott

Yep, in the UK the BBC and right-wing media barons are doing their best to brain wash people with their agenda.  If it's the truth or not, lets put it out there anyway.  If there's a demonstration against the government...well we just won't give it any news coverage.

The internet is the only place left for uncensored thoughts, so they are now after controlling that too.   :(
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

As I see it I do not need to do anything to SyntaxBomb regarding GDPR/EU-DSGVO.

1.. This is a personal hobby website.
2.. This site is not a business in anyway shape or form.
3.. It doesn't sell anything for it / me to personally profit ( so no borderline business dodgy area ).
4.. It has no adverts that make it / me money ( so no borderline business dodgy area ).
5.. It does not do any email marketing for any purposes for it / me to benefit from ( so no borderline business dodgy area ).

There is no way GDPR/EU-DSGVO is going to apply to millions of hobby websites / forums / bloggers / vloggers, etc who don't profit from them. Once you profit then that's a business and then I'd say you fall into the GDPR/EU-DSGVO crap.

QuoteIf there's a demonstration against the government...well we just won't give it any news coverage.
Unless it's about Remoaners complaining about Brexit and then it's the #1 news item.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Don't forget external image linking and webfont usages, statistic tracking, etc. It doesn't matter if it is a private hobby site.

QuoteOnce you profit then that's a business and then I'd say you fall into the GDPR/EU-DSGVO crap.

And that is where a lot of people get it wrong.

Once you store IPs you have to make sure you don't give it further. And with external image linking you have to.

This GDPR crap puts a lot of places in danger of getting letters from lawyers who make money on such things.

Qube

Mike, if what you say is true then this law is going to cause millions of hobby sites to shut down and will be a lawyer / solicitor field day.

I still say it's aimed at business / commercial etc and not for hobby sites. Everything I've read so far in the official documents / sites keep using the word commercial / business / company and I've not seen anything which even remotely reads as "personal hobby websites".

It really would be a disaster on an epic scale if it covered every website that asks for a user to register.

However, I could be wrong but I will waste some money and see what a real life solicitor says about it. I'll post back here when I've seen one ( probably next week ).

Until the next time.

MikeHart

I know, it is scary. Today I talked to some workers in my company that deal with this at the moment. And they told me that this law includes private websites too.

Derron

As said the most troublesome elements for private forums might be:
- user content fetched "externally" (eg. my github-avatar ;-))
- webfonts (fetched from google)
- jquery-CDNs

The GDPR is there to make sure that data is processed "properly" - and they only can guarantee it if it happens in Europe (as they all need to follow the GDPR then). Using a google-webfont means you give Google the information about each user accessing your page (and requesting the font from there).
If you use external data providers, you need to inform your users about this fact.

Above of course only, if you need to follow the GDPR/EU-DSGVO. Courts and Lawyers will surely fight for their rights to sue or protect private persons. After these fights started, governments will surely add some hastily written laws to protect "the little man" (like the "Abmahnkosten-Deckelung" in Germany which was planned to stop sueing people for small copyright-piracy-actions and asking for big money ... it did not work well and has holes to use allowing circumvention of limitation of costs for a cease and desist letter).

bye
Ron

ENAY

Quote from: Steve Elliott on May 17, 2018, 17:06:55
Yep, in the UK the BBC and right-wing media barons are doing their best to brain wash people with their agenda. 

LOL. I don't see any ring-wing media doing that right now, it's all left-wing as far as I can see.

But yeah, the regulation of the Internet is worrying indeed. Looking at twitter's new rules, they're basically shadow banning people with the "wrong views".

The short term future I feel, isn't going to end well.

None of this is happening in Japan yet, but I think that's because the Japanese populus have always been relaxed and docile. Things like Brexit and Trump have really freaked out the world leaders, so I guess when your world monopoly is under attack, best to bring it back up to date with new regulations. *sigh*

Rick Nasher

Ok, let's give it a try: Qube, I'm going to(hypothetically) sue you for illegally storing any data about me..    ;)

Step 1. Handover all data you have on me(including all my private data, my anarchistic talk, my links to images, and links to commercial sites for which *I* can be sued over  :o )
Step 2. Ban me.
Step 3. Take down this site to prevent further *abuse*.
Step 4. Mission accomplished: freedom 0, govs: 1   :(
The world has gone mad trying to prevent silly, ignorant people from being scammed and give huge major companies the monopoly position on everything at the expense of basically everybody else.

Oh BTW: how much money do you have Qube got so I can take that into account while claiming..  :P

But seriously:
Sure, we've all been there, ordered something on the internet, never receiving the product, damaged or not fitting the description and not getting a refund. But hey that's why you *don't* order too expensive stuff over the internet: it's too risky ordering that from China and that will never change. And data theft, yeah that might be an issue, but that's why you're supposed to be smart and *don't* give too much private stuff into the hands of 3rd party like F-book.
However with these false "protection" laws in place govs can later on order you to comply and hand over *all* your data, which is a big mistake for rulers change and may abuse, and still nothing is ever going to be safe from scammers or hackers good or bad, simply because there's always a smarter guy.

E.g: The very mechanisms that need to provide transparency to the user over what is stored are actually the very things that will introduce a whole new level of vulnerabilities and safety breaches.  :-X

Let's sing it with a teasing little girl's voice : Theeey'll be soorry..     :D