A Knight's War - Code A Game Competition 4th May to 30th June - Retro Strategy

Started by Matty, May 08, 2018, 10:44:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

More 'info feedback notifications' in the forms of 'hits' 'misses' 'flank bonuses' 'hill bonuses' and so on more obvious to the user (previously only I really knew what was going on beneath the surface in the combats....still not sure whether I'll show the 'dice rolls' - all dice rolls are ten sided dice rolls with lots of modifiers added (such as for flanking and hills and also buffs and curses cast by magic users and also luck bonuses and so on generated in the campaign)

Matty

Need to fix - losing the online multiplayer game....doesn't work as expected...need to fix this.

Easy enough to do....but yeah....doesn't work yet....

(Ie running out of castles and so on - defeat doesn't work as expected...probably a simple enough change....just not working currently..will have to do after work tonight.)

Edit - fixed..oops - it was a '==' instead of a '=' in two places.....gah!

Derron

that's the problem with ambiguity of the "equal" sign..

Now enjoy the "===" which is existing too (A strictly equal to B).

bye
Ron

Matty

Okay...losing the online multiplayer works correctly...tested.  winning should work to loosely tested...will have to continue testing.

Happy with this.

For interest sake i tried creating an android version by loading as a webview-too slow and the interface is better on a desktop due to the way mouse over works.

Matty

I'm looking at providing more game advice in the form of a hand indicating where to click the first time through-strategy players seem to have no problem playing it but I just dont know if that's sufficient.

Matty

Fixed a bug that no one will ever see (except me while testing).

The automated online player (used for testing) eventually won the campaign (without any input from any of the other players) over a fairly long duration.

Upon returning to the menu I did not reset the flag that disables mouse input on certain screens while the online automated player is playing. That meant that the front menu did nothing.

The only situation where this was going to occur was when the online game was being played by a 'bot' and the bot managed to win the entire campaign.

Not a standard response.

However - I'm pleased because both the standard victory and defeat features have been tested now and the ability to join a new/different game after being eliminated from the online campaign works.

Excellent.

iWasAdam

Matty

Gameplay issue / query:

2 player all fine.
1 player all fine.
Online: when player loses a battle they have to wait for their army to rebuild before they can attack again.  If there is no wait time then there is no penalty for losing a battle.  As a mini game ive allowed the player to explore dungeons while they have no army to boost their heroes stats in battles.  However it seems insufficient to me...how do you penalise the player but still allow them to participate? They can always play the campaign or 2 player no problem...but online is a little different-aha...i had a bit of an idea...not fully fleshed out...but I'm after some input here...brainstorming..

Matty

Note:
The game works on desktop, mobile and tablet through the browser BUT I've found no major bugs on desktop and the debugger throws neither warnings nor errors but on mobile every now and then odd glitches occur but without a debugger on mobile or tablet I can't see what the issue is.

Hence my recommendation is to play on desktop although mobile browser does work-just about once every so often it glitches. 

I know from my experience with Android however that random glitches with the OS are more common than on desktop but I always like to assume its my code first.

Derron

No developer console on the chrome/firefox browser on your tablet?

bye
Ron

Matty

I use a mobile (the only tablet I have access to is at my parents place....ha ha ha my thoughts were that if I won any prize money from this it would go towards a tablet for future development of browser games like this)

On desktop I press F12...no idea what key to press to bring up the debugger on a tablet or mobile....

Matty

Update:

Last code change on the 10th of June.

I'm happy with the code. It all works as expected.

On desktop there are no bugs, on chrome on mobile no bugs (none found anyway).

The music is good - I shouldn't have but I did spend some money on it, about $50 AUD.

The artwork is about as good as I can make it.

I have plenty enough time to polish but that's what I did for quite some time a few weeks ago.

I pretty much built this in the first month and polished in the first week and a half of June.

I'm very happy with this project.

I'm also happy that it got me out of a game making slump and inspired me to create something again.

Next Friday I'll submit it to the competition. 

It's playable now (via my website www.mattiesgames.com )

Thanks for paying attention.

from Matt

Derron

- demo-button-gfx has a "cut" shadow

- "battle texts" do not fade out nicely but just "move up and vanish"

- title gfx dude looks skinny but wears a armor for a 120kg warrior (front area looks right but the armor is way "thicker" than needed)  - it somehow looks "wrong"

- music is thriving - nice to listen to, dunno if it is too "pumping" for a "think about your turn"-style game, but nonetheless I think it fits well to a fantasy/medieval war game (slow paced might still be better)
- music also does not nicely "loop", so when finishing and restarting it sounds a bit "hmpff" a short time. Maybe you find some time to do proper "crossfading" and use 1-2 more songs (free ones, do not spend money if not really required). You could even create your own "loop"-songs out of 20-30s loops (so each "song" gets 90 seconds long until the next one fades in, have done this for "Apes Banana Conquest" - so monkey to Javascript at the end - and for "Trick or Sweets").

- units move "out of the sudden", maybe animate movement with some interpolation code (start slowly, get fast, end slowly) so they "swishy" move to the target tile instead of "plopping" from A to B

- the "wave/flag"-effect on your GFX: consider using some "antiaalias" there. Your drawings are "scaled down", so all have AA on it while the

- credits: Code-Tutorial at... not clickable and the url does not need to have the "/" at the end.

- on the right side the chaos/order icons still have a different size - and they overlay existing tiles

So while I still not played your game yet, I already found some small issues to keep you away from boredom :-)

Edit: as you told us some weeks ago that you do everything in a simple graphics app: Photoshop is expensive and not really needed. Gimp hmm... does not offer vector shapes, Krita is more for drawing things (really! try it out!). Inkscape does a good job for vectors - which you are not using.
Maybe you want to checkout "photo line":

https://www.pl32.com/
Many people say it is a viable alternative to the expensive packages like Photoshop. It has layers, vector shapes, amazing color-adjustment-functions, ...
I am too used to Photoshop so I am not using this tool - but hey, they offer a 30days demo. Maybe it fits your drawing approaches? Try it out.

bye
Ron