BloodCrypt V1.06 released - Huge update!

Started by iWasAdam, May 06, 2018, 12:03:37

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

OK, Just updated bloodcrypt to V1.06
This adds a new tutorial 4 complete floors to explore plus loads of new monsters traps, etc.

Check it out here:
https://adamstrange.itch.io/bloodcrypt

And here is the Llst of changes:
Ver 1.06 changes

• bed, bedding, coffin, wood, coffin-open, shelf, bones, cup, plate, magnifying glass,  models added
  • hovering over a monster brings up a magnifying glass
  • main menu alterations
  • new logo integrated into menu and map view
  • objects now activated. gold,  food,  etc can be properly dealt with,  picked up etc.
  • display speeded up with new object managment system
  • monster(3d) and ui(2d) graphics seperated
  • inhabit mode now shows axe and axe movement when attacking
  • initial magnify info panel added
  • monsters now have automatic info panel
  • things have automatic info panel - key, coins, food
  • new menu graphics with new logo
  • new tickbox graphics
  • infopanel  tickbox activated by mouse click or S or DownArrow (when highlighted)
  • when info panel is not shown - clicking when the magnifying glass is shown will give help text
  • null added to dressing
  • lightFX now has second grid added for more things
  • nulllight added to lightFX
  • initial work on getting hidden tiles to function correctly - sometimes they don't drop right
  • fixed nasty bug which prevented movement from one tile to another
  • monsters now spawn more regularly
  • monsters can't spawn on top of other monsters
  • initial trigger systems activated for some lighting
  • fire and big fire now cause damage if walked over
  • minor graphic glitch with direction arrow sorted
  • lots of testing :)
  • layout editor click on map moves to position
  • scrolls can now be picked up from off the floor by click next to them
  • books are now things - they can be picked up
  • fruit, cheese, ham can now be on things
  • monsters spawn more randomly - before they would always spawn. now they have a 0% chance of spawning
  • monsters will hit back when attacked
  • things can be picked up in front of you in inhabit mode
  • minor menu graphics tidy up
  • normal and inhabit movement now synchronised correctly
  • inhabit now has vertical 'breathing' added
  • internal tile data format changed to support multiple card decks
  • editor - now supports multiple card decks
  • initial level 3 sewer layout done
  • tracker sequence sound reset sorted
  • when escape (exit to menu) pressed map will also vanish if visible
  • map now renders fluid
  • map now shows correct details if been revealed - hidden parts are not shown
  • map now renders path
  • map now renders sewers correctly
  • dust particles launch when knight moves
  • gribmax has new graphics
  • gribmax now pops and spans dribbles
  • trapdoors now have popup info
  • modified main shader to darken things as they go up. this gives a better render effect for the lights
  • added some extra 3d position checking
  • scores now integrated
  • scores now saved
  • scores now shown in main menu
  • gold amount now linked direct to score
  • movement bug - where you couldn't move - initial code rework
  • transition from current floor to new floor code complete
  • gates now have closed mechanism
  • corrected internal floor jump systems
  • added floor up/down systems
  • you can now travel to different floors
  • corrected right bottom icon display issue
  • increased graphic fidelity
  • minor score table edit to prevent multiple identical scores
  • going up/down floors takes you out of inhabit mode
  • 2x2 steps added to items
  • 6 colored potions added to dressing
  • external map different carddeck support added
  • internal carddecks added to editor
  • spikes now operational along with hidden triggers
  • spikes added to main map - so you encounter them first
  • card decks now operational
  • initial blood sewer tiles complete
  • level not clearing bug (where completed level was still present) fixed
  • spike toggle when in inhabit mode corrected
  • enemy2 becomes a wurm
  • wurms added to the red sewer
  • enemy3 is a batusbat
  • bats added to red sewer
  • book icons added to GUI
  • tentacle added to monsters
  • fallOff map created for monsters to track movements
  • skeletons now track your movements and will always find you
  • optimized fallOff map - it only calculates 1 offset per frame. it means creatures further away might not move
  • additonal map tiles added so there is the opportunity to have a book at start - if found!
  • books now appear in gui. there are 6 kinds with one being random
  • each level now has a title and basic help text on what to do
  • 2d graphics are now crisp
  • levels start faded to dark grey when title shows then color and lights are added
  • potions now appear in the gui. there are 6 kinds
  • pink potion is BIG
  • red potion is heal/hurt
  • green potion is immune
  • when big - you cant go through archways
  • fixed mouse over blocked movement bug
  • titles now show when you jump to a new floor - basic help on what to do
  • implemented splash screen into core windows
  • yellow potion is strength
  • initial scroll UI set up
  • correction to internal bitmapfont controls to correct alpha blending
  • 5 helpful scrolls added to tutorial
  • more movement error checking added
  • quest buttons now start un-enabled
  • quest buttons now updated And saved/loaded correctly
  • available decks now 4 not 3
  • new monster wraith
  • new level ossuary
  • new mx2 logo added
  • corrected scores
  • added lots of coins
  • bone throne added
  • skeleton warriors added
  • ossuary starts with more bones!
  • corrected floor/level when saving/adding scores
  • skeleton king ole boney added!
  • new modified potion icons that actually show what the potion might do...

MikeHart

Wow, it is really coming along greatly and looking good!

iWasAdam

Thanks Mike. Yep. It's still being developed  :P
I think this is the first release that has a more game feel about it as there are now instructions and quests of sorts. with the main one being get Moms Amulet back from the bone king.

I'de be very interested to know your thoughts Re (your own) CardRogues and what you are wanting to implement with it?

I really need to get working on a full linux build now I've got both windows and macOS sorted as well...

Derron

@ adam
As said before: if you have trouble with Linux, feel free to ask and if possible I will try to help. Keep in mind, that not every OpenGL feature might be 100% supported in a VM, so it is a nice idea to have a dual boot on an older notebook/computer so you can see it running on "real hardware". Nonetheless a VM is way better than nothing.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Thanks Derron - I might just need some help in that department.

First news is I actually have Ted21 compiled and running on linux. Plus got the mx2 internal code synchronised.
Bad news is the opengl gives a blue screen (see pic) - so there is something going wrong somewhere...

iWasAdam

I'm now starting to do a debug series of builds - luckily all the opengl code exists and I am working my way through it all and seeing what works and what doesn't - step by step

Derron

If you are not sure if it is the VM or a real OGL issue - you can send me some stuff to test (binaries or sources+filesToBuild).

I am pretty sure you are doing something which is a bit faulty (missing initialization, wrong values..) - and it now becomes obvious :-)

bye
Ron

MikeHart

Quote from: iWasAdam on May 06, 2018, 13:58:20
I'de be very interested to know your thoughts Re (your own) CardRogues and what you are wanting to implement with it?

Difficult question. I might change the theme to a sci fi one. Initially and back in 2016 it was inspired by Card Dungeon. Then I saw Card Hunter.
Last year RezRog came out which looked a lot like I had planned CR to look like.

So, I might change some things with the port to Cerberus X.

iWasAdam

@derron found initial opengl error is to do with how I created the models. looks like macOS uses a tiny difference in the opengl vertex than both windows and linux. (I got my first test running correctly with this change). I'll now scale this up a bit and see what happens...

@Mike I definately like the characters you drew for it. It would be a shame to not let them shine a bit :)

iWasAdam

Cripes... That was quick!
changed one line on code and this happened:

Yep. opengl fully operational now! Pic show linux mint with ted21 and latest bloodcrypt build (not running as fast as I would have liked) but it's running!

@derron Give it a go and report your findings. this is my first linux compile so any help is really, really needed :)
https://adamstrange.itch.io/bloodcrypt

MikeHart

Quote from: iWasAdam on May 07, 2018, 07:26:23
@Mike I definately like the characters you drew for it. It would be a shame to not let them shine a bit :)

Thanks man, you are right. I should continue with the theme.

Derron

Will test when at home again - on my computer instead of this boring Windows laptop :-)

Framerates in Virtual Machines tend to be somewhat lower. In some incarnations of VirtualBox I achieved some hundred FPS in TVTower - and sometimes (maybe also depends on the driver/integration to the host system) I only get 60 or so.

In a virtualized Mountain Lion I got 7-10 fps :-)

So do not see it as "performance test" but as a test if things at least run. Even Artifacts might come from a bad opengl implementation of the virtualizer (but most often just expose that you are doing something "wrong").

bye
Ron

Derron

Tested only a tiny bit: executes without visible flaws. Had no audio - is there some? - if so, is it capable of playing while other audio plays (pulseaudio vs freeaudio/alsa-blitzmax-esque)?

The Torch fire is a slight bit too fast imho. Fire is normally pretty "calm" except for fake "plastics + wind + bulb"-firelamps of the 90s.
It is not much but some tiny bits...

Also there are these dust particles falling down - as if we walk along the desert. Think if it was dust it should move way slower.

Camera rotation: maybe make it moveable in all directions? For now you do not allow to rotate the camera to expose more of the horizon ("move down") and the likes - intented to hide game board?

If you are interested in FPS - feel free to tell me the keyboard combination to enable debug output. But it seemed to be high enough to play.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yep. no sound added. I'd much rather get everything operational first than move to sound as a 'next step'

There is no debug output to show the FPS, but if it all feels fluid then the FPS is working well - it would 'stutter' if there was a FPS issue.

Keyboard controls:
I = inhabit mode - play First Person - like dungeon master. arrows/wasd to move. q/e to left right attack (or use the pop up controls bottom right

Derron

Mom only gives 2 kisses (xx) :-(

I tried inhabit mode and when "clicking" the mouse I think I see my knight for a short period:

I also recognized that you can "left click" on the left side - to turn to the right. You cannot turn to the left this way - an you can only turn around 4 times (if you start looking "backwards").

Very very minor: when resizing the window the camera changes viewport slightly - as if it does not recenter-properly or prefers "extend to the right". When resizing vertically: depends on the aspect ratio but sometimes you see more than in other ratios. Think this is because of the avoidance of black borders. It works but the "growing" after the resize somehow looks or feels a bit off. As said, very very minor.

So much nitpicking for now.

bye
Ron