Started by Qube, May 04, 2018, 00:56:06

Previous topic - Next topic

3DzForMe

How are the entries coming along? Just over a month ro go  :o
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Holzchopf

I didn't even start yet. Not even a single scribble or note on paper, everything is still just an idea. But I have to finish other stuff first and when I'm done with that (if I'm done early enough), I'll contribute with something tiny ;)

3DzForMe

I've some time today to gets some ideas fleshed out... just need to ignore some 'pink' tasks in order to get some coding done (pink tasks = housework)   ;)

iWasAdam

Mine is called 'Sacred Lands'
UI getting sorted.
Smoothing of landscape now turned off so everything is very sharp and low poly:

power bar operational and you can now plant trees!

3DzForMe

@iWasAdam, loving the sharpness. Managed to dust the covers of an old B3D directory, who knows... I might get an entry in for this compo yet. ;)

Pink tasks done also.... Well, enough of them to let me play with B3D.

Xerra

A lot of the games that we know about - I'm sure there'll be a few surprise entries like Pipanic was last time - have worklog entries so you can keep track of them. I think the ball may get knocked out of the park in this competition as there's a couple of entries that are making me green with envy. As in I wish I could do something like them :-)

We're just under halfway to the deadline now so would think anyone who's going to have a go has already started - unless the mad buggers are prolific enough to turn something around within four weeks. I doubt I could do it.

My game (RAM) isn't really a game yet, as there was a lot of background stuff to do, and it's a lot more ambitious than it might at first actually appear. I have finally got all the cards data and images done now, and implemented stuff like the shuffling of the pack, so I'm quietly confident I'll be able to play it in some form by this weekend.

I've also got the first chapter of an Eight part story that's going to be in the game but I'm a bit behind with that so will have to crunch it near the end when I've got to put it into the game itself.

The best part of what I've done so far is all the work I've done that's going to benefit me in the future, specifically working with imported data, image editing and using grids and lists to manage array data. It's much easier for me to configure levels and information into something like excel than actual code lines in the editor - and obviously hugely more flexible. And the potential is there for non-coder friends to be able to help design levels and stuff if it's importable like this. I've now got code written that I'll transplant into my framework after I've finished the game and can make use of in future.

Hopefully I'll have a very interesting game out there at the end of June as well.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

A lot of the games that we know about - I'm sure there'll be a few surprise entries like Pipanic was last time - have worklog entries so you can keep track of them. I think the ball may get knocked out of the park in this competition as there's a couple of entries that are making me green with envy. As in I wish I could do something like them :-)

I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.  A couple of very promising entries last time were either unfinished, lacked game play or were only playable by the author.  While Pipanic kinda threw everybody with it's simple graphics and better game play.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

Quote from: Steve Elliott on May 29, 2018, 20:36:32
I wouldn't jump to conclusions just yet.  A couple of very promising entries last time were either unfinished, lacked game play or were only playable by the author.  While Pipanic kinda threw everybody with it's simple graphics and better game play.
This is very true and shows that swishy wishy graphics a good game does not maketh. Pipanic made you smile from the start as it's unique game play was something different to the norm and the whole thing just fitted together.

Pipanic was my 2nd choice vote with Envahi being my first. Envahi was another game with straight forward graphics but I enjoyed playing it the most. Granted it was a remake of the one the finest 8-bit computers ( Vic-20 - don't argue, grr ) but it was well done and worked well.

My game, ExBiEn lacked in one huge vital field, beta tester feedback to point out the controls were not great. While I think the game was fine for the time we all had I should of gone with my first instinct that the controls would not be to everyones liking and changed them. Personally I found the controls fine but then I was playing it a lot, which kinda negates the first time user and instant pick me up and play. Sure, there are many games that require learning but those introduce a progression with them. Big mistake on my behalf.

This time around I would love to see some great pure replayable games. All the worklogs look really interesting and it'd be great if the gameplay matches. Gameplay is one thing that no graphic / music artist can beat you on ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

The inspiration was a list of genres/thingie - and to randomly choose 2 of them. The mix might have also been "action + rpg", so "incompatible" was no required criteria.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Got some ideas, managed to extract an old hard drive from a dead PC, gobsmackingly I was able to get some stuff from nearly 10 years ago almost working. Mainly prototype stuff that didn't really make the light of day, I confess my dev time is somewhat restricted of late, but I hope to have an entry before the finish line.

Inspiration is Homeworld (remastered) - someway to go at the moment though ;)

[EDIT] Got some place holders and rudimentary physics stuff started:

Dwapook

Quote from: round157 on May 17, 2018, 02:18:38
Quote from: Qube on May 14, 2018, 07:07:44

I will not be too strict but I expect each entry to adhere to the categories and the descriptions presented. For example if your chosen category has strategy then I'd expect there to be a clear strategic element following the description presented in the first post. As an example, strategy is not just avoiding something or killing something as strategy implies a long term goal based on planning.

Another example is "Retro". Retro games are generally considered as those in lower resolution and / or palette restricted and / or emulating an older era of 8-bit / 16-bit computers / consoles. This includes both graphics and sound / music. I think we all know what "retro" means :)

For those entering, please please please read the category descriptions in the first post to make sure your games meet the criteria. I'm not going to be super strict but I do want to see a clear mix in themes based on your category chosen ;D

Hi, a very detailed explanation of the rules of the compeitition.

I hope that Dwapook will create a very outstanding entry for the competition.
Aye.. thanks.. Apparently a metroidvania style game isn't open world.. but I did decide on what I want to make and am working on it, not sure if I'll finish it by the 30th.. I don't have a lot of free time right now.. >.>;;

3DzForMe

Hmmm, my effort - Open world.... just outside of a world is where mine is based. Open Universe trumps open world?

Derron

Shouldn't you be able to interpret "open world"?

open can
open door
... open world

Evil alien machinery cruises through space and to refill "fuel" they break apart planets they come across. Each planet has different mechanics to get gently break apart without destroying the tasty inner core or "honey-esque" between core + hull of a planet.
yamm yamm.

bye
Ron