Code a game competition - May 4th to June 30th - £750 worth of prizes

Started by Qube, May 04, 2018, 00:56:06

Previous topic - Next topic

STEVIE G

Quote from: iWasAdam on May 14, 2018, 07:51:03
me personally I would say yes - just as long as it's not Polymaniacs  :P

Obviously not BUT I was going to re-use some of the assets?

iWasAdam

I'm re-using some of my old assets too, so I wouldn't be too concerned :)

Qube

Quote from: STEVIE G on May 14, 2018, 07:48:13
Does a low-poly flat shaded look count as retro?
Yup, I'd class that as in the retro 3D era. I'd even go as far as unfiltered 3D textures ( Doom style look ) as retro style.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

STEVIE G

Quote from: iWasAdam on May 14, 2018, 10:31:58
I'm re-using some of my old assets too, so I wouldn't be too concerned :)

Quote from: Qube on May 14, 2018, 11:16:19
Quote from: STEVIE G on May 14, 2018, 07:48:13
Does a low-poly flat shaded look count as retro?
Yup, I'd class that as in the retro 3D era. I'd even go as far as unfiltered 3D textures ( Doom style look ) as retro style.

Phew ... I think building assets takes the longest time.  I did make an attempt to convert the 3d models to 2d images but doesn't look as good as I would have liked and working in 3D is much easier IMO.  Also considered re-using the Van from Van Tourisimo but it just isn't detailed enough.

Anyway, I've made a start at least ...  I'm thinking kinda like Steam Birds but with cars with weapons etc... 

Derron

Just a small annotation for next compo: I would allow Qube to win - and his price will be used for the next compo.
Why?
Assume you are eager and currently on vote-place "#2". Now you can't vote for yourself and you do not want to vote for a game to take your #2 ... so you vote for Qube's game as it won't make you loose your rank. It is like voting for a party which cannot reach a minimum percentage to enter government.

While above is more of a theoretic scenario I think an "increased pot" might attract people too. Money isn't lost - just "delayed". And to avoid that a money price is delayed to a "very easy compo", I would suggest to always split the price into half. And add one half to the next, and the other half to the next but one. Or to spend half on the compos "total pot" and the other half for a special price (best appearance, best story, .... - also selected randomly before a compo start).

@ Stevie G
Ohh, that little car...looks nice. Hope you come up with a worthy successor to Van Tourismo

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote from: Derron on May 14, 2018, 11:41:11
Just a small annotation for next compo: I would allow Qube to win - and his price will be used for the next compo.
Why?
Assume you are eager and currently on vote-place "#2". Now you can't vote for yourself and you do not want to vote for a game to take your #2 ... so you vote for Qube's game as it won't make you loose your rank. It is like voting for a party which cannot reach a minimum percentage to enter government.

While above is more of a theoretic scenario I think an "increased pot" might attract people too. Money isn't lost - just "delayed". And to avoid that a money price is delayed to a "very easy compo", I would suggest to always split the price into half. And add one half to the next, and the other half to the next but one. Or to spend half on the compos "total pot" and the other half for a special price (best appearance, best story, .... - also selected randomly before a compo start).
I think the current method works OK as it doesn't effect the winners placement or prize money in anyway.

Also I'm not entering this current game comp as in my spare time I'm updating and separating my game framework, level maker and pathfinding routines into contained units so they are easily plugged into new games. At the moment it's all a bit of a mess so I need to clean up everything and make it more portable. There's also a lot of features I want to add to my framework too. Hence, not entering this comp :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

@ Qube
Even if you do not enter I am pretty sure we see some interesting projects - the more the better (and it also enforces people to do more "polishing").

Hmm, there came another post ... less candidates. Please drop a line if less than 3 enter. I will then come up with an endless puzzler (every second something is removed again from your jigsaw :p).

bye
Ron

curtastic

Quote from: Derron on May 04, 2018, 07:41:22
Think for now I am seeing "retro/strategy" as the only "viable" genre - with many ideas in my head.
That's because retro is an art style, not a genre. So option 1 is easy because you don't have to actually mix genres, you can just do any old strategy game like Civilization 1.

curtastic

Quote from: iWasAdam on May 04, 2018, 10:29:15
for some strange reason I'm thinking of arcade mashup with food and starwars!

Salad Wars: May the food be with you?
omg I still vividly remember that video for Salad Wars someone posted once over a decade ago on blitzbasic.com. must find and link it... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4UCb7ZiiJs

3DzForMe

@Stevie G, I love your in progress stuff... looks great.

Its all I can do to keep my creaky W7 rigs working. S'pose its my own fault, I went and turned W7 updates back on recently... goddamn OS takes longer and longer to turn on and off due to config blah. Time to disconnect the dev box from tinternet altogether and use a newer machine as a ftp thing. Jeez, such hard work.

So, anyway, Postman Plat might get another outing..... just maybe.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Morpheus

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to the board, this is my first post. I followed the last competition and enjoyed playing all the entries.

I am going to have a go at the this one. already lost 11 days due to a big wedding in the family. And will miss a week towards the end of the competition as I am having surgery on my wrist  :o

So I am thinking I have less than 5 weeks to make something. Currently have a idea for an Endless/Puzzle   ???

Good luck to all entries!

Xerra

Quote from: Morpheus on May 16, 2018, 11:56:24
I'm new to the board, this is my first post. I followed the last competition and enjoyed playing all the entries.

I am going to have a go at the this one. already lost 11 days due to a big wedding in the family. And will miss a week towards the end of the competition as I am having surgery on my wrist  :o

So I am thinking I have less than 5 weeks to make something. Currently have a idea for an Endless/Puzzle   ???

Good luck to all entries!

Welcome aboard. Don't forget to create a worklog post when you have an idea taking shape so you can show off how your effort is coming along.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

round157

Quote from: Qube on May 14, 2018, 07:07:44

I will not be too strict but I expect each entry to adhere to the categories and the descriptions presented. For example if your chosen category has strategy then I'd expect there to be a clear strategic element following the description presented in the first post. As an example, strategy is not just avoiding something or killing something as strategy implies a long term goal based on planning.

Another example is "Retro". Retro games are generally considered as those in lower resolution and / or palette restricted and / or emulating an older era of 8-bit / 16-bit computers / consoles. This includes both graphics and sound / music. I think we all know what "retro" means :)

For those entering, please please please read the category descriptions in the first post to make sure your games meet the criteria. I'm not going to be super strict but I do want to see a clear mix in themes based on your category chosen ;D

Hi, a very detailed explanation of the rules of the compeitition.

I hope that Dwapook will create a very outstanding entry for the competition.

iWasAdam