Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

Nobody blamed the choosable themes - I just asked what you (others) expect from the genres - just as things could get misinterpreted - see "arcade".

Also I want to use the discussion to have some kind of "group brainstorming" as this might lead to some game ideas.

@ Publishing
Do some of you AGK users mind promoting the compo on their forum? Maybe it attracts people.
Same for the cerberus-forum - and maybe even the m2 forum.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

of maybe i'm thinking of a retro 2d turn based game with psychotic pandas!

OK. what I now need is a 2d sprite based animation thing - I'm on it...

Derron

You mean with animation "skeletons"/spines ?
This is also on my "have to try out" list.

@ psychotic pandas
Maybe rescuing their living environment? "Pand'bo - First bamboo!" if it is an action centered real time strategy game. But do not make it too retro, 2x4 pixels of white and black do _not_ make up a panda bear :)

Jungle... hmm, my son sung "Where is the coconut?" (of course in German, English will come later :)) very often the last weeks. Maybe have 2 armies of apes fighting each other - with the "castle" being the defense center of a stolen/to steal golden coconut. So some kind of "dota" or "castle siege" ... Hmm hmmmmmm.

Palm tree catapults
Bamboo sticks for ranged attacks
Tamed snakes for venom/slowdown attacks
Slapstick bananas as placeable trabs to immobilize/"stun" enemies for a while

but again, "retro" is not my kind there ... except nowerdays "retro" includes games of 2 decades ago (which means you could easily do 800x600 ;-))

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

I've got the base gl code already sorted for the rotation, etc. I'm going to use my fontsprite system, so a grid of 16x16
Here's the base panda design (I knocked this up very quickly). I'll use it to write and test the editor:

n00b

Hi, I am the creator of a programming language called rcbasic. A member of my forum told me about this competition so I decided to enter it. I just finished LD a few weeks ago and had so much fun that I really wanted to try another competition. I have to say that this theme is very similiar to the theme from LD which was to combine 2 incompatible genres. But I do like this theme a little more since atleast one of the 3 options gave me a few good ideas for a game.

STEVIE G

Quote from: Qube on May 04, 2018, 10:41:29
Quote from: Steve Elliott on May 04, 2018, 09:55:53
So after all the debate, we still haven't got a consensus on what the Game Competition Theme should be!  lol  ;D  Because there are still 3 possible options.   :o
Most agreed on "mixed genre" and didn't want to be tied up with limits, so we have three mixed genre options to choose from. Pick one and get creative... Simples ;D

If everyone is still confused as to what it's all about then I can easily just make up a comp off the top of my head today with dumbed down rules?

This is a trick one.  Maybe a specific set of definitions for the genre's (and some examples of games which fit into the 3 categories) would help me to keep within the rules. 

All games require some form of strategy to play/win so retro / strategy would be any retro styled game .. right?  ;D 
I'm not sure about the 'open world' genre either - is is basically a case of no limitation as to where you can go and what you can do in the game universe i.e. No level structure - sandbox like?

Lots to think about  :D

Derron

Yes "open world" is kind of sandbox - but also "GTA" and the likes offer a "open world". There is no straight "step by step"/"level by level" thing to play. You do not need to fulfill missions as long as you have your needs satisfied (if you can get hungry you need to eat, if you are able to die and need to evolve: search a partner or do what other cells do to multiply).

Strategy does mean "strategy to win" but most often in a kind of "military context". So armies fighting each other, nations fighting for rulership. Of course it does not need to be a military thing. you can have two school bully-groups fight each other with "tricks" and less cruel traps.
There is turn-based strategy ("click to finish turn) like "Battle Isle", "Civilization"... and there is Real Time Strategy (time moves on even if you do nothing) like Warcraft, Dune 2, Command and Conquer, "Z" ("Zed", which reminds a lot optical wise to "Battle Isle"). But even a "Plants versus Zombies" can be "strategy" in a wider sense, or Tower Defenses - as the "layout" of your weapons defines weather you can win or not.
Games with Level Bosses needing certain "strategies to win" are not "strategy games" per se.

PS: Not providing a manual or any clue how to play a game does NOT make it a puzzle game :-)

bye
Ron

GaborD

To qualify for one of the named genres, the game should heavily focus on that style of gameplay. Simple enough.
Strategic thinking, twitch based gameplay, solving puzzles. Pick your poison.

Steve Elliott

To qualify for one of the named genres, the game should heavily focus on that style of gameplay. Simple enough.

But we are talking about contradictions - like Arcade AND Open World.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Derron

So create a GTA with arcade halls - and mini arcade games - instead of stealing cars :)

bye
Ron

GaborD

Quote from: Steve Elliott on May 04, 2018, 20:30:46

I don't see that as a contradiction. I'd actually like to play a game with good arcade style game mechanics in an open world setting.
You can explore, go anywhere, pick any fight you choose and enter any dangerous area, but the resulting battles will be arcade style twitch based fights. If you attack that huge angry looking boss mob before killing some easier looking things for powerups first... have fun!  ;D

Qube has posted an explanation for how Arcade is meant earlier in the thread, it's quite loose and leaves us with lots of options:
Quote from: Qube on May 04, 2018, 02:46:15
After a quick Google search "Arcade: Arcade refers not to games that originated as arcade machines, but to action games with very simple gameplay interaction similar to coin-op arcade games. These games usually require little puzzle solving or tactical thinking and rely solely on the "twitch" gameplay. Related sub-genres include Maze games and Paddle/Pong games."
Obviously, not all arcade sub-genres are a great fit for an open world setup, but the overall genre could work really well. Just like open world FPS games work nicely, similar concept. Fill up your open world with fun arcade style encounters.

Steve Elliott

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Quote from: Steve Elliott on May 04, 2018, 20:30:46

Agree 2 of the options are almost polar opposites - I guess that's the luck of the draw though so not complaining.  Can you solve an endless puzzle? ;D 

Looks like Retro/Strategy is the option for me.  8)

What is twitch based gameplay btw?

Qube

Quote from: STEVIE G on May 04, 2018, 17:19:28
This is a trick one.  Maybe a specific set of definitions for the genre's (and some examples of games which fit into the 3 categories) would help me to keep within the rules. 

All games require some form of strategy to play/win so retro / strategy would be any retro styled game .. right?  ;D 
I'm not sure about the 'open world' genre either - is is basically a case of no limitation as to where you can go and what you can do in the game universe i.e. No level structure - sandbox like?

Lots to think about  :D

I 've added the below to the 1st post to hopefully clarify a little more on what each genre is. Probably subjective but good enough so we all know what's expected :)

Genre Descriptions :

Retro : Old school games mostly associated with 8-bit ( and to some extent 16-bit ) computers / consoles. Retro games usually emulate a graphic resolution from computers / consoles of that era. Retro games may also be palette limited or colour matched to a certain computer / console.

Strategy : A game that focuses on skillful thinking and planning to achieve victory. It emphasizes strategic, tactical, and sometimes logistical challenges. Many games also offer economic challenges and exploration. They are generally categorized into four sub-types, depending on whether the game is turn-based or real-time, and whether the game focuses on strategy or tactics.

Puzzle : Games that emphasise puzzle solving. The types of puzzles can test many problem-solving skills including logic, pattern recognition, sequence solving, and word completion. The player may have unlimited time or infinite attempts to solve a puzzle, or there may be a time limit, or simpler puzzles may be made difficult by having to complete them in real time, as in Tetris.

Endless : A game in this category could have one never ending level ( like Flappy Bird ) or other forms of continuous play like Temple Run. Endless games are considered to have no true ending.

Arcade: Arcade refers not to games that originated as arcade machines, but to action games with very simple gameplay interaction similar to coin-op arcade games. These games usually require little puzzle solving or tactical thinking and rely solely on the "twitch" gameplay. Related sub-genres include Maze games and Paddle/Pong games.

Open World : Is a term for a video game in which a player can roam a virtual world and approach objectives freely, as opposed to a game with more linear gameplay. While games have used open-world designs since the 1980s, the implementation in Grand Theft Auto III (2001) set a standard that has been used since.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.