"Easy" 3d engine

Started by makis, May 02, 2018, 19:45:08

Previous topic - Next topic

makis

Hi all!
After spending quite sometime messing around with Unity i have decided that enough is enough! I simply cannot wrap my head around all those tick boxes, dialog boxes, "prefabs" and mostly C#. I miss Blitz3D for it's simplicity and even though is not actively developed anymore is by far the easiest programming language for a beginner. My only concern is that is a pain in the ass to get it working on Windows 10!.

meems

well, its just a case of having a win10 dev machine, then its debugging code as usual...

Pakz

@makis
Not so long ago mark uploaded a new version of b3d to itch.io It seems to have fixed any problems it had with windows 10. Multiplayer I am not sure if it still works.

makis

Windows 10 keep asking to install .net play or something like that.

MikeHart

Quote from: makis on May 03, 2018, 09:48:05
Windows 10 keep asking to install .net play or something like that.

You ment DirectPlay? Here is how you activate it in Windows 10:

https://support.ubi.com/en-gb/Faqs/000027439/Activate-DirectPlay-or-DirectDraw-Direct-3D-on-Windows-10

makis

Yeah i meant DirectPlay, sorry!

Rick Nasher

Don't mean to lure you away from Blitz3d(which I loved for a loooong time), but if you are looking for something similar and more up to date look no further than <here>

I too couldn't stand Unity's messy system of here and there and that and this and all over the place.
Initially it seems easy to achieve something nice and cool, but when something goes wrong or isn't right in the Outdated tutorials, pfff.. way too hard to debug or accomplish something that was a breeze in Blitz3d.
Even when using Visual Studio, it's too cryptic, not my cup of tea.

GaborD

Unity is certainly a matter of taste. Got very bloated along the way. (I used to love it back in the early days, but now I try to avoid it if possible)

I second what Rick said, AGK is a great alternative. Has the ease of use but is flexible enough to let you push rendering all the way to high visual quality.
I really like openB3D too, also very powerful and flexible while still maintaining the old B3D style.
For me ease of use and the ability to iterate very quickly is crucial. Time is the most important currency when making games as lonewolf.

Kryzon

I'm pretty sure I would've enjoyed working with Unity if the registration process, manual or automatic, worked. I tried them several times and it didn't work.
I had it installed and sitting there, always asking for registration, didn't even get to the editor.

How can you mess up something so vital to your business? How is that going to convince me to upgrade to the paid pro version?

What I really wanted to use it for was as a real-time renderer (to render stereo VR presentations to MP4).

Rick Nasher

QuoteI'm pretty sure I would've enjoyed working with Unity if the registration process, manual or automatic, worked. I tried them several times and it didn't work.
I had it installed and sitting there, always asking for registration, didn't even get to the editor.

Never experienced that issue. Rather strange.
Did you try contact them?

Kryzon

Yes. At first they asked me to uninstall unity, delete some local file and download and reinstall unity again, since this problem might be caused by leftovers from a previous installation.
I told them this was my first time installing it in this system.
They asked me to send them my editor log file, as well as screenshots of the problem.
I gave up, this was not being worth the time spent. At the end I would've wasted my man-hours for them to realise that they had some server problem or something.

I should mention that I only gave up after googling and finding similar reports on their forums.

ENAY

Not sure which version of Unity you guys are using but Unity is hands down the easiest of the lot for 3D.

Your loss, I guess.

Rick Nasher

@ENAY
Very latest, but it's just not my cup of tea.