Browser and Mobile Games - They're not games!!!!

Started by Matty, June 12, 2017, 11:17:02

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

Hi folks....

Do you know how hard it is to find an actual proper game on mobile and browser?

I've been trying to look at some for research purposes and maybe I'm just old or old school but modern browser and casual games are not games.

Here's a sample play session from almost any strategy game on the market:

1. Show pretty girl in revealing clothing as tutorial 'hostess'
2. Tell the player to build one structure after another with no freedom of action for at least the first hour. Basically 'build a lumber yard', now build a barracks, now build a farm, now build this, now buy these units, now attack this preset location....and so on...no bloody freedom to do as you please.

How is that a game?

It's just following instructions.

I want to play an actual game. A game where I have to work out what on earth is going on - not be hand held through a 50 step process that can't be avoided.....

Gah....

There's something wrong with the state of modern gaming....whatever happened to the good old days....

MikeHart

Well, a tutorial is always following intructions. What I find disturbing is that it is basically madantory to do the tutorials to actually play these games.
Regarding Strategy games on mobile platforms.... Wrong platform, wrong player crowd. The fun is still there... but still where it always was. On the PC.