anyone know what happened to Gfk?

Started by meems, April 29, 2018, 17:52:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Unity is going through a lot of changes. The Unity you may learn today won't be the Unity you will be using in a few years time. They are changing the whole coding side over to a much more efficient and faster system. Once the ECS and burst compiler system is fully matured who knows what they'll do with the current mono C# system.

It's impressive that they now have compiling from C# to assembler in the mix and in the long term this can only be a good thing. The down side is that any developer is constantly playing catchup. The tech in Unity is going through vast changes with programable render pipelines, visual tools for shaders and effects. They are brining in visual scripting, adding new physics API's and adding in new cloud, multiplayer and AR API's.

It's a constant change rather than building on solid tech that users have already spent ages learning. Some sides I agree with, like offering the HDRP for AAA stuff and the LDRP for mobile but some of the changes just smack that it wasn't thought out right to begin with.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

GaborD

I used to like Unity, still have it in use in some projects, but only old versions, due to nothing being backwards compatible and customers not paying for total rewrites due to engine changes.

Rick Nasher

Yep the changes are great and mad at the same time.

It looks great on site, but the amount of errors I went through when doing the always outdated tutorials, using C# some 2 years back *and* the horrible bug hunting under oop, on just very simple stuff, turned me off.
(probably my lack off skills but I know I'm not the only one hehehe)

If I look at their site now I only see C# being promoted as the language?

Amon

3DzForMe

I'm tempted to delve into a slice of C sharp with the old unity, just for fun.... Although AGK also has some appeal.

This morning, I have been mainly reading this guide.....

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn759441.aspx

And this, the free beginners version

https://store.unity.com/products/unity-personal
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Qube

Unity is a great platform for making games, no doubt about it. The problem is it's image. Many think once you've learned a little bit about it you just whip up games in a few minutes using stuff from the asset store. "Oh a unity game.. so you just dragged and dropped to produce it!" - that's the common myth. For some reason there's a perception that unity can magic a game into life.

Personally I like a pure coding environment but it's odd that I'm creating visual tools to aid in my game making, but that's different to the unity approach, yes? :P

Unity will always have its hate group regardless of how fast and efficient it ends up as many folks just love to hate on popular stuff.
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Qube

QuoteAnd this, the free beginners version
The free version has all the graphical features of the paid version. In a nutshell all it's missing is reporting tools, additional network limits, dark mode and custom splash screens. That's the missing basics in the free version.

Until the next time.

3DzForMe

Sounds good, and it seems to me Unity has got a fair old amount of evolution under its belt, about time to 'dive in', hell, it might encourage me to delve into the murky pond of being employed to code again, although I doubt it, been there got the t-shirt....  :P

3DzForMe

On second thoughts, I need a 64 bit computer:-

System Requirements for Unity version Unity 2019.1

Released: 16 April 2019

Derron

First Athlon 64 was released in 2003... and in 2006 the intel mainstream Core 2 Duo was released. Means your computer is ... does it already have an USB slot? ;-)

I assume if you really only have a 32bit cpu in it I doubt that developing with Unity will be smooth.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

I'd a big gap developing anything around 2010-2015.... The treadmill sickened me of computers unfortunately. Looks like I need me a 64 bit thingymujig.

Derron

Am sure you can buy a used 64bit computer for the price of ... 2 better bottles of wine, two boxes of beer ...  :-)

Sooner or later you will have to - and I am sure you will have to before 128bit computers get common.

bye
Ron

3DzForMe

Yep, you're right on the you can, and I will, however, I'm kinda on the why upgrade because you HAVE to brigade here.

I'd be interested to find out what actually goes past 32 bit addressing. I know most accept the status quo... And I know I'm grumpy old man esque, however the refs to 64 bit processors being introduced 16 years ago is not an argument for adopting the technology just because it came about before it was required. Is it still actually required.. or could 32 bit still cut the mustard other than you HAVE to go 64 bit?

Edit, yeah, I give in now, I nearly said I'm getting old.... Age is just a number and mine is closer to 48 bit than 64.......

Madjack

Since we're talking about Gfk, anyone know what happened to Puki?

Amon

Puki was expelled from sausage school. We haven't seen him since.