anyone know what happened to Gfk?

Started by meems, April 29, 2018, 17:52:48

Previous topic - Next topic

meems

anyone know what happened to Gfk?

he was a good man to have around when u needed to wind someone up.  Is he still active online? I recall rumours that he had an unhealthy habit that may have taken its toll.

peteswansen

I recall his feuds with "Guy Fawkes" as being quite humorous...

Qube

He's a member on here but hasn't posted much.

His main haunt until recently was SoCoder but he quit that forum over Jayenkai wanted to cut down on all the doom and gloom threads and try and make the forums more happy joy joy.

Quotehe was a good man to have around when u needed to wind someone up.
Not on here you won't :P - There are plenty of junk forums you can go on to wind people up, if that's your bag.

QuoteI recall rumours that he had an unhealthy habit that may have taken its toll.
I heard a rumour about a rumour but that just turned out to be a rumour too. So I heard ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Naughty Alien

..i like that guy and he was very interesting dude to have on board..hehe

meems

>Not on here you won't :P

aww boo. The odd flame war is what gives anonymous forums the edge over open ID social media. If we wanted no aggro then might as well create a fb group.

Qube

Quote from: meems on April 30, 2018, 02:44:29
aww boo. The odd flame war is what gives anonymous forums the edge over open ID social media. If we wanted no aggro then might as well create a fb group.
I know, I'm a old boring fart!. I see this place as a hobby coders site for members to have a little fun and perhaps even learn something new. I'm all for a full on heated debate on any subject but when it comes to targeted personal wind ups and prodding members just to watch them react then that's just not me me, ergo, not for this site either.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Amon

Ahh, Gfk. Yes. The forum version of Victor Meldrew.

A very talented project finisher though. One thing you couldn't say about him was that he never stuck to his guns and never finished projects he started.

I think I was his favorite hatred though. :)

Hardcoal

GFK was a bit arrogant but I liked him..
He was very sharp.. And short tempered..
I think he is a drummer as well.

I bet he found better things to do.. But who knows..

GuyFalwks had a missing Screw.. (hope he wont see that lol). He was chatting with me outside of this forums as well..

Hope to see Em again and get the party's on Again..  :))

I think some people either stopped developing, or moved to a better engines.. like Unreal..

In my case, The reason i don't deal with unreal atm is because I want an App that makes Easy Assets..

I would create such if I had the right founding :p

An indie programmer should not deal with graphics and stuff. its too much time consuming.
Code

Rick Nasher

I was having some midnight multiplayer sessions with him and a Flanker(who created an UDP multiplayer lib for us), was great fun. 8)
He shot me down all the time, for I'm slow though. lol

He said he was autistic and some people who didn't take that into account kept pushing the wrong buttons, thinking he was just rude and an *sshole, but he just lacked certain social insight, no bad intent. If you understood that about him and gave some room to move he was a pretty ok guy imho and created a bit of stir sometimes hehehe. :))

meems

Quote from: Amon. on May 01, 2018, 06:06:48I think I was his favorite hatred though. :)

He made everyone feel special like that. Interesting that a few of u are recalling his 'heated debates', even though blitzresearch were aiming for a zero aggro forum too. I bet if u weighed up the stats, u'd find the forums which include an ' ok, if u want to have an argument do it in here' board tend to do better. People are drawn to the mayhem.

Rick Nasher

Interesting..(talking about MIA's):
Yesterday I saw a Michael V.. (forgot the last name) showing up in LinkedIn - you know, the guy who did the Fastlibraries.

I sort of assumed  he had been made 'an offer he couldn't refuse' or so by the Ruskies to join in on their cyberwar division as he seemed to have vanished without a trace like so many other gifted Russian coders..

Could still be they're using his account to get foot hold in the world of course.  [paranoid]  :))

iWasAdam

One MIA when the old forum went down is Mainsworthy.
I know he was active in the UK with the wargaming people. But it looks like all has gone quiet on that front too.
I do know that someone with the same name passed away at the end of last year - but I have no way to know if it was him or not.

ENAY

I'm not sure how he could be called Victor Meldrew as he didn't just moan about any old shit, he just had strong opinions on things and didn't care about your feelings if there happened to be a debate.

As far as I am aware, aside from Matt Dickie, he wrote an absolute ton of games in Blitz. The second most successful programmer on the Blitz site.

Like most people, such as myself, he moved on and into Unity. I'm sure he's still making games, no idea what that is though, he did post a Unity question here a while back. That was the last time.

[edit] According to Unity forum profiles
GfK was last seen:
    Apr 25, 2018

So, yeah, pretty sure he isn't dead.

3DzForMe

Glad to hear you're doing stuff quietly, I need to take a leaf out of your book GfK, on another note, got blitz basic compiling on my old Amiga today, it's at least 23 years old! Farewell GfK.
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Steve Elliott

Glad you're not dead.  You're not the type.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb