December 07, 2019, 03:19:34 PM

Author Topic: anyone know what happened to Gfk?  (Read 3441 times)

Online Steve Elliott

• elgol developer
Re: anyone know what happened to Gfk?
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2019, 08:43:46 PM »
every iteration of the dammned thing seems to introduce new features while deprecating others that were less than a month old, including syntax.

I hate software that works in that way.  You try to learn the software, then oh everything's changed now - learn the new way of doing things!  WTF?!!   >:(
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspberry pi4 4Gb RAM

Offline Amon.

• What? There's no ceiling outside?
    • Amon.Pro
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2019, 08:49:53 PM »
every iteration of the dammned thing seems to introduce new features while deprecating others that were less than a month old, including syntax.

I hate software that works in that way.  You try to learn the software, then oh everything's changed now - learn the new way of doing things!  WTF?!!   >:(
That's exactly how Unity is now. By the time you're sitting comfortabley with it, a new version come out forcing you to relearn it. You would think , "ok! I'll stick to the current version I'm used", but lo and behold you have to update because a bug in the version you use is only applied to the new version. Same goes for their supposed LTS versions.
I dunno. Fed up with Unity and how they go about business with version releases.
Windows 10 Pro - 16GB DDR4 RAM - GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI 11GB - AMD RYZEN 7 3800X

Online Steve Elliott

• elgol developer
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2019, 09:00:50 PM »
Yes, it was always going to be like that with Unity because they didn't design from a solid foundation IMO.

They rushed to write a 3D Engine and 2D was an after thought.  You would think they would have got some very efficient 2D going on with all the required features before jumping into 3D, but no.  So basically they're re-writing everything because the foundations weren't good - it's like building on sand.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
MacOS Mojave, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB.
Linux Mint 19.1, 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb).
Raspberry pi4 4Gb RAM

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2019, 04:33:56 AM »
Unity is going through a lot of changes. The Unity you may learn today won't be the Unity you will be using in a few years time. They are changing the whole coding side over to a much more efficient and faster system. Once the ECS and burst compiler system is fully matured who knows what they'll do with the current mono C# system.

It's impressive that they now have compiling from C# to assembler in the mix and in the long term this can only be a good thing. The down side is that any developer is constantly playing catchup. The tech in Unity is going through vast changes with programable render pipelines, visual tools for shaders and effects. They are brining in visual scripting, adding new physics API's and adding in new cloud, multiplayer and AR API's.

It's a constant change rather than building on solid tech that users have already spent ages learning. Some sides I agree with, like offering the HDRP for AAA stuff and the LDRP for mobile but some of the changes just smack that it wasn't thought out right to begin with.
Until the next time...

Offline GaborD

« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2019, 06:06:21 AM »
I used to like Unity, still have it in use in some projects, but only old versions, due to nothing being backwards compatible and customers not paying for total rewrites due to engine changes.

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2019, 08:29:20 AM »
Yep the changes are great and mad at the same time.

It looks great on site, but the amount of errors I went through when doing the always outdated tutorials, using C# some 2 years back *and* the horrible bug hunting under oop, on just very simple stuff, turned me off.
(probably my lack off skills but I know I'm not the only one hehehe)

If I look at their site now I only see C# being promoted as the language?

Offline GfK

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2019, 03:18:08 PM »
Stuff does change a lot in Unity but it's pretty much always for a greater good.  Anything that gets deprecated is usually left functional for ages before being completely removed, and it isn't hard to find what it's been deprecated in favour of.  so it's really up to you when you update your code.  In any case, at least Unity don't just bin the whole thing and start over every couple of years, unlike some engines I could mention.  Seriously, which is easier to adapt to?

Unity is awesome.  Anybody who disagrees, smells of wee and poo.
Intel I9-9900K 3.6-5.0GHz | GeForce RTX2070 8GB | 32GB RAM | 500GB NVMe M.2 SSD | 1TB HDD | Windows 10 x64.

Offline Amon.

• What? There's no ceiling outside?
    • Amon.Pro
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2019, 02:57:32 AM »
I'm saturated in it then.  :P
Windows 10 Pro - 16GB DDR4 RAM - GEFORCE RTX 2080 TI 11GB - AMD RYZEN 7 3800X

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2019, 07:15:30 AM »
I'm tempted to delve into a slice of C sharp with the old unity, just for fun.... Although AGK also has some appeal.

This morning, I have been mainly reading this guide.....

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/dn759441.aspx

And this, the free beginners version

https://store.unity.com/products/unity-personal

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2019, 08:02:46 AM »
Unity is a great platform for making games, no doubt about it. The problem is it’s image. Many think once you’ve learned a little bit about it you just whip up games in a few minutes using stuff from the asset store. “Oh a unity game.. so you just dragged and dropped to produce it!” - that’s the common myth. For some reason there’s a perception that unity can magic a game into life.

Personally I like a pure coding environment but it’s odd that I’m creating visual tools to aid in my game making, but that’s different to the unity approach, yes? :P

Unity will always have its hate group regardless of how fast and efficient it ends up as many folks just love to hate on popular stuff.
Until the next time...

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2019, 08:07:09 AM »
And this, the free beginners version
The free version has all the graphical features of the paid version. In a nutshell all it’s missing is reporting tools, additional network limits, dark mode and custom splash screens. That’s the missing basics in the free version.
Until the next time...

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
Sounds good, and it seems to me Unity has got a fair old amount of evolution under its belt, about time to 'dive in', hell, it might encourage me to delve into the murky pond of being employed to code again, although I doubt it, been there got the t-shirt....  :P

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2019, 03:43:23 PM »
On second thoughts, I need a 64 bit computer:-

System Requirements for Unity version Unity 2019.1

Released: 16 April 2019

Offline Derron

« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »
First Athlon 64 was released in 2003... and in 2006 the intel mainstream Core 2 Duo was released. Means your computer is ... does it already have an USB slot? ;-)

I assume if you really only have a 32bit cpu in it I doubt that developing with Unity will be smooth.

bye
Ron

Offline 3DzForMe

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2019, 05:43:38 PM »
I'd a big gap developing anything around 2010-2015.... The treadmill sickened me of computers unfortunately. Looks like I need me a 64 bit thingymujig.