Anyone Is interested in helping me make a simple game..

Started by Hardcoal, April 23, 2018, 09:32:00

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardcoal

Hi..

I need to test my editor.. but I have no time for graphics etc..

all I need is someone that want to make a simple game..

a simple game means can be also a. (when i say 2d i mean that it will be a scroll game, but the objects can be 3D)

1) 2D spaceship shooting game..
all i need is the graphics..

2) a simple ball game 2D

3) a mario like game..

etc..

I don't want anything that is too innovative ..

In the next faze,  the user can build his own maps..

I personally prefer a 2D space shooting game.

I think it is worth a try.. I bet some of you have already libraries of elements..

worth a shot..

The editor is not ready but its getting their

Code

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Hardcoal

thanks steve.. that's a good idea..
any place for more good packs ?
does it includes sounds as well?

Code

Steve Elliott

macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Matty

Hi Hardcoal.  Before you decide to buy a pack I have an offer for you.

I'm learning and improving my drawing and I'd love to draw some spaceship graphics for a 2d vertical scrolling shooter for you - I can't promise the same professional quality as the packs but I'm eager to do some graphics.

Your post is just what I'd been looking for.  I'd love to draw graphics for someone's project even if it's just as place holders.

To see my work look in the two threads of mine in the artwork forum. Or look here:

http://www.mattiesgames.com/art/rated.php

http://www.mattiesgames.com/assets/

A picture from 2016:

Derron

@ matty
As your drawings are far from "photorealistic paintings" or "rendered assets" I would suggest you create some "paper art" - as if you have torn it from a sheet of paper - means you could even "fake" some "lines" in the background for making it look like grid-paper cutouts.

This allows to add things like "drop shadows" without looking awkward. Might add a "have seen already" but still unique look - and will of course help "hiding" that you are still in the learning stage of drawing (not meant bad!).

Edit: and now to the cool ideas: If you have these space ships with their "torn paper border" then how to do explosions? RIGHT - you set the paper on fire. So no fancy explosion of the ship but some kind of "short flame and left was a pile of ashes" thingy.
If things need to explode rather than burn, you could just tear apart the sprite into x subsprites - and these then could become some particles fading out/moving like firework.

bye
Ron

Pakz

https://www.gamedevmarket.net/

The linked site above kind of impressed me. The internet is starting to fill up with usable art.

https://opengameart.org/

The site above is a good free resource.

I worked on a sprite editor for a while. I just bit the bullet and for a couple of days and made a dozen+ tutorial video's for it. Best is to just work hard and domthings yourself or you keep waiting :)

Steve Elliott

Some good links here, maybe they should be added to a 'sticky thread' for future reference.
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Hardcoal

Matty.. anything original is great.. i really loved your drawings.. (most of them :) )
the second reason i wanted someone's work is because its a motivator as well..

I would like you to plan a game.. a scroll game.. and i will try to execute it.. that's the idea..

I don't look for fancy graphics..

Than i can concentrate on the editor itself

Code

Matty

Ok Hardcoal.  I'm about to head to work but tomorrow is a public holiday.  I actually had an idea myself on the weekend just gone that you have tapped into.

I'll try some pictures and post them either in this thread or in the artwork forum and we can see how we go.  Talk soon.  Have to go.

Hardcoal

Cool... You can also send it to my email.. hardcoal@gmail.com
if this will take shape we will find a more convenient way to communicate and share
Code

Matty

Hi Hardcoal.

I did some work this morning and last night after work.

I have to say - I'm not all that great at this - so it's definitely not the same standard as those packs you've looked at, but I do enjoy it. If you want to use my work and you want me to continue then let me know.

I've attached a screenshot of a simple blitz3d demo/mockup and also a zip with the work so far.

I fully understand if you'd rather use other art but I'm happy to work on this - it's good for my own skill development anyway (long way to go)

http://www.mattiesgames.com/bbgame/hardcoal_space.zip

Hardcoal

yea man.. it looks fine enough..

i want from you is to tell me what to do.

you are the manager of the game.. i'm the executor.. i need the graphics .. and audio..

each faze i will send you the progress..

you will need my editor, at some point.

we can start with how the spaceship will move..

and so on..

step by step lets see where it gets us..

so feel free to send me your assets

cheers
Code

Derron

@ Hardcoal
I think you should post your progress here too - at least if you want to get feedback (means criticism by me ;-))

@ Matty
I think a space game needs a parallax background: so create 1-2 more background layers (trust yourself and add slight color variations, not everything in space is white-to-gray-to-black).
Also this means Hardcoal's Editor needs to tackle: repeating-tiles (y-wise), listening to Y-changes with a varying factor.

bye
Ron

Hardcoal

I have no probs with criticism.. I actually Need it..
Some things im aware of and are not in my first priority.. like GUI looks..

My main concentration is Still The Internal Engine , Functionality And Debugging..

Then comes, Ease of use.. 

I don't have Time to make backgrounds and so on.. that's why I need Matty's Help.. In the first place..

Sure.. I'll be glad to post my progress.. actually its very encouraging.. So I will try Starting from now..

A) Ive managed to solve the Clone Map Process..
B) I was now working on Turning Group of Meshes into one Mesh.. for physical purposes..

My Blueprint works fine for now.. And I'm trying Various types of Game Controls like Mario style..
Spaceship 2D style.. and so On.

Everytime I try something I encounter problems that needs to be solved..

It's a Slow Process..

I did awesome stuff like when you create a blueprint, you can save it and than attach it to any object simply by dragging it from a window folder..

About tiles.. I will need help with that.. I know nothing about tiles..
But this will come later..

Ok, Cheers
Code