New internet connection - goodbye ADSL2!

Started by therevills, April 25, 2018, 04:05:30

Previous topic - Next topic

therevills

We decided to change from ADSL2+ to Cable internet last Friday, due to the delays of the "NBN" in our area, so glad we did.

Old ADSL2 speed test:

New cable speed test:

We were meant to get the "NBN" in February, but their delayed it yet again so we may get it next year some time... but in the meantime I think I'll be happy with the speed boost!  :D

Derron

I think download speed is ok with cable (latency depends on the remote server - have 15-30 in most cases):

But I would like to have the benefits of vsdl or fibre: more upload speed.

bye
Ron

Qube

This is the fastest available in my area which is up to 80Mbps download and up to 20Mbps upload. I still remember dialup and being impressed when I went to the super zippy US Robotics 56k modem :))

Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

meems

ping 33ms
dl : 3.6Mbits/s
ul : 0.52Mbits/s

relatively slow but perfectly good for all functions except dl gigabyte files. I remember a time when 5KB/s dl was the norm on audio galaxy. Was a delight to dl selected music for free with just a few clicks w/o leaving bedroom. So everything since then has been fast.

Derron

hmm, ed2k, napster and what they were called - the heaven of fake-tagged files :-)

Bought a 56k modem too as my parents only had a 14.4 that itme, big downloads were later done using then sooner or later available "local flatrates" (local numbers were callable for free) on an 2 channel ISDN line at my aunts house -  using leaked "company numbers" to call in - so effectively we got 16kb/s! A bad-quality ASF movie file only took a night to download.

@ speed
you get pretty fast used to "available speed". Downloading a new Linux Mint distro? What? 12 minutes download? Need to switch mirror ... ahh, 3-4 minutes download, ok, acceptable ;-)

But yes, it is amazing that you can download stuff now _faster_ than they play in realtime - talking about FHD or 4k stuff. No wonder that "physical media" is dying out for many consumers.

bye
Ron

dawlane

I've had to take a speed cut as a result of getting the best deal that I could with my current provider. It included TV, Phone and broadband. I didn't want the TV package, but I had to take it to get what I wanted, which was just the phone and broadband and was only a couple of quid more than their nearest rival who's speeds were 25% slower and not guaranteed to be any where near the claimed maximum speed.

I was getting only the broadband package with average sppeds of 12ms/223Mbs/20Mbs, but now I'm getting 12ms/110Mbs/6Mbs.

Brucey

Just for fun, I thought I'd give it a try here - on the bus, somewhere in the Fife (Scotland) countryside...

ping 50ms
dl : 6.83Mbits/s
ul : 0.50Mbits/s

It's not bad, considering, and the view's pleasant enough. :-p

MikeHart

Download: 94 MBit/s
Upload: 33 MBits/s
Ping: 9 ms