Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

STEVIE G

Quote from: TomToad on April 23, 2018, 21:35:57
Quote from: STEVIE G on April 23, 2018, 16:59:42
I was just looking at some entries for LD41 which was combine 2 incompatible/unlikely genres.  Looks like alot of fun and some wierd and wonderful combinations.  Turn based bullet hell, racing beat-em-up etc..
That idea sounds a bit familiar :)
https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,4006.msg11870.html#msg11870

It's clearly a great idea ;D

Qube

Well a repeated idea sounds like a plan ;D

OK, so we'll pencil in the "mix two genres" idea...But keep it open in case some others popup.

Now... We need some for of limitation / boundary to go along with our potential theme ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Why does there need to be a limitation?  Mix 2 genres seems perfectly fine.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Qube

And that might just be the case... BUT BUT BUT, if the topic is known now then some unscrupulous bad bad people could start their game tonight having an unfair advantage, so we need options available to make sure the exact nature of the comp isn't known until launch day. Got it? good :))
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Xerra

Please can we not use a graphical restriction like palette or similar. I'm already struggling with the concept of maybe not having my beloved 1024*768 resolution :-(
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Qube

Quote from: Xerra on April 24, 2018, 00:16:39
Please can we not use a graphical restriction like palette or similar. I'm already struggling with the concept of maybe not having my beloved 1024*768 resolution :-(
There may be no limitations beyond the theme ;D - But just for you I promise no palette restrictions in the next comp, honest!.

Until the next time.

Derron

As written already some time ago: If we used a theme generator then the generator is used right on compo start. Means you could even create a thread in advance and then edit in the theme on "midnight".
This could even get done by a script, so Qube does not need to stay awake till midnight :p

I would add to the rules, that entries need to have a screenshot - or some kind of "rectangular artwork" in the submission (could be added some time later - for the "late birds" submitting 1 minute before end). That way Qube could more easily fill the "competition entry"-overview-page :-)

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

mix 2 genres sound good.
mix 2 genres from a list of 6 sounds brilliant!

Qube

Quote from: Derron on April 24, 2018, 07:41:11
As written already some time ago: If we used a theme generator then the generator is used right on compo start. Means you could even create a thread in advance and then edit in the theme on "midnight".
This could even get done by a script, so Qube does not need to stay awake till midnight :p

I would add to the rules, that entries need to have a screenshot - or some kind of "rectangular artwork" in the submission (could be added some time later - for the "late birds" submitting 1 minute before end). That way Qube could more easily fill the "competition entry"-overview-page :-)
I'm 99% always up and about at midnight ;D - There's a nice little project for you. A totally random game theme generator. Write it in PHP and then I just set the date for it to post and it makes up the comp theme / rules :))

Until the next time.

Derron

Ok, here is a base approach (my PHP is a bit rusty so excuse if there are easier ways to do so).
Code (PHP) Select

<?php
date_default_timezone_set('UTC');
//may 1st 2018
$competitionTime mktime(000512018);
//adjust random seeds per competition (read below about randomness)
$genreRandomSeed 124564;
$themesRandomSeed 4564658;

// genres
$genres = array(
"Action",
"Arcade",
"Jump'n'Run",
"Simulation"
);

// theme
$themes = array(
"Clowns",
"Exploration"
);

// some kind of "random" access
// we cannot use "mt_srand()" or "srand" as a potentially installed
// suhosin-patch will prohibit setting the seed accoringly

// so we just use the desired competition starting time, multiply it
// with a custom seed (so others cannot "precalculate" what will get
// output)
// TODO: fetch the random number from an external source, so Qube
//       is not able to "secretly" generate something
//       -> fetch from an external website having a random number
//          generated at UTC "0:00" each day (best: with an archive
//          of past days, so number stays "constant)
//       -> this random numbers replace the random seeds for genre/themes

$genreIndex = ($competitionTime $genreRandomSeed) % count($genres);
$themeIndex = ($competitionTime $themesRandomSeed) % count($themes);

print "(debug) competition time: " $competitionTime PHP_EOL;
if (time() < $competitionTime) {
print "competition did not start yet - but for debugging we still print the stuff ;-)" PHP_EOL;
print "(debug) genre: " $genres[$genreIndex] . PHP_EOL;
print "(debug) theme: " $themes[$themeIndex] . PHP_EOL;
} else {
print "genre: " $genres[$genreIndex] . PHP_EOL;
print "theme: " $themes[$themeIndex] . PHP_EOL;
}
?>

As stated you cannot use the inbuilt PRNG as mt_srand() and srand() might not work on your host (if you had suhosin patches installed).
Random.org provides some kind of "random number pregenerated daily"-files - if you subscribed ;-). If someone else knows a host who has a daily "at UTC 0:00"-generated file of some random stuff (can be text, numbers, ...) drop a line, we could use that.
Until then the basic idea is to have a random number be based on individual "seed bases" and the competition time (competition time would not be needed at all - but this helps making the number a bit bigger ;-)). The seed needs to be kept as secret until competition starts (as this would allow previewing what would get printed then).

Also we need to have some list of "potential themes" (genres, themes). So this could come from an external text file too.

Of course the whole thing could have another random part: either have "genre + theme" or some kind of abstract keywords - like "sexuality", "modern life", "pencils" ...

bye
Ron

Xerra

Looks to me like the date that script goes live is 1st of May and not the 4th. Cool. Three extra days to get the job done :-)

Don't think Qube is going to attempt to rig it to get the themes of the competition early somehow. Paranoia in that script, lol.
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Derron

It's not about what Qube does, but what others think Qube could do. Especially if you are able to attract some new users (promoting the compo to AGK forums and the likes?) envy and other bad behaviour might come to this place.
timestamp was just the begin of next month to test out.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteOk, here is a base approach (my PHP is a bit rusty so excuse if there are easier ways to do so).
Good stuff, thanks Derron :)

I'll build it up and then a few minutes before the comp starts I've do a video of the source code listing in a terminal window and then executing the script and showing the date / time. Sure, if I was a cheater I could fake it all but as I can't win anything then it's pretty pointless, plus I'd hate to cheat and even win a proxy placing as that not winning at all in my book.

So the comp will be a genre mix but what kind of mix and what kind of options remains to be seen ;D - I'll adapt the script to give entrants a few options as they may not like just having one option.

QuoteDon't think Qube is going to attempt to rig it to get the themes of the competition early somehow
Lol, no. My main goal here is to try and make sure everyone has the same amount of time.

As said, I'll create a video ( probably 20 minutes before the comp starts ) showing :

1.. A terminal window next to the clock showing date / time
2.. Listing the source in the terminal window
3.. Running the code
4.. Showing the output of the chosen mixed theme options

I think that's a fair enough system for this comp. A bit OTT but a bit of extra fun as I'll only get to know about 20 minutes beforehand myself what the options are ;D.

Until the next time.

Xerra

Plus the same system can be used for future competitions and just the themes thrown into the random mix changed. Not a bad idea at all.

What's the thinking? Two words out of six that Adam was suggesting? I like the sound of that. And maybe the six most interesting words suggested from now get thrown into the mix?
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502