Game comp ideas for Comp May 4th to Jun 30th

Started by Qube, April 19, 2018, 16:44:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Xerra

Renaisance, insane and attraction. I have no idea how I would even start a game on any of those themes.

Oh, wait, yes I do, on two of them. Ideas anyway - not sure on how to code them...
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Rooster

Maybe go with the two button restriction?

GaborD

some random ideas:
- game must feature big swarms of enemies
- level layouts must be procedurally generated
- no direct steering/control of the gameplay characters (think Lemmings)
- player character can't stop shooting, the challenge is to not kill yourself or destroy needed parts of the level with the shots or laser beam (which preferrably bounce/reflect around a few times)
- each level exists in at least 2 states that you have to switch between (preferably quite a few times) to solve/finish it (can be time travel, dimensions, light&shadow, up&down flip, 90degree rotations, 3D&2D, whatever)
- game is focussed around big boss fights, basically a boss rush game with huge interesting bosses that have fun mechanics
- main gameplay mechanic is wind that pushes objects or the player around
- gameplay must be centered around a time control mechanic
- multiplayer type game but the enemies are CPU bots.

Holzchopf

Quote from: STEVIE G on April 22, 2018, 23:11:34Can we also make a rule that your game must be playable full screen?

Oh heck please not :o Yes this is my personal opinion and I'm allowed to keep it for me, but: I'm in front of a WQHD screen and titles that are not designed to fit it just look horrible/unprofessional when stretched out to 2560x1440. And let's be honest: No one here cares for other resolutions. Everyone would just go for 800x600 or maybe 1024x768 just to suit as many screens as possible. But then again, this rule could be turned into something very thrilling by altering it to:

Thou shalt not write your game for a fixed resolution.

Also, add the possibility to run it in different resolutions so users can check if you stuck to this rule.

;D

Qube

Quote from: Holzchopf on April 23, 2018, 05:32:08
Quote from: STEVIE G on April 22, 2018, 23:11:34Can we also make a rule that your game must be playable full screen?

Oh heck please not :o
Lol, I think he means that the game should have the option of being full screen rather than just being a Windowed game only. ExBiEn ran in full screen and displayed black bars if it didn't fit the aspect ratio, so it shouldn't of looked too shocking full screen :o
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

Here's a reasonable game jam generator
http://orteil.dashnet.org/gamegen
just keep clicking it for more ideas.

It's not brilliant, but it's a good place to start for themes.

I still like: Theme + restriction

STEVIE G

Quote from: Qube on April 23, 2018, 05:45:05

Oh heck please not :o
Lol, I think he means that the game should have the option of being full screen rather than just being a Windowed game only. ExBiEn ran in full screen and displayed black bars if it didn't fit the aspect ratio, so it shouldn't of looked too shocking full screen :o

Yes, I meant just an option. 

STEVIE G

Quote from: GaborD on April 23, 2018, 02:01:39
some random ideas:
- game must feature big swarms of enemies
- level layouts must be procedurally generated
- no direct steering/control of the gameplay characters (think Lemmings)
- player character can't stop shooting, the challenge is to not kill yourself or destroy needed parts of the level with the shots or laser beam (which preferrably bounce/reflect around a few times)
- each level exists in at least 2 states that you have to switch between (preferably quite a few times) to solve/finish it (can be time travel, dimensions, light&shadow, up&down flip, 90degree rotations, 3D&2D, whatever)
- game is focussed around big boss fights, basically a boss rush game with huge interesting bosses that have fun mechanics
- main gameplay mechanic is wind that pushes objects or the player around
- gameplay must be centered around a time control mechanic
- multiplayer type game but the enemies are CPU bots.

Some great idea's there!

Derron

And let's be honest: No one here cares for other resolutions. Everyone would just go for 800x600 or maybe 1024x768 just to suit as many screens as possible.

my compo entries are designed for FullHD (1920*1080) as this might be what many "players" are able to use nowerdays. Many of us use virtual resolution already, so stuff get scaled down to the preferred resolution and bars ("letterbox") are added. Not all games could be run in all aspect ratios. Things like transport tycoon and the likes, they do not care much about it, but RTS games and the likes will have advantages or disadvantages for players with varying aspect ratios.
Think my "Creature Corp" could run in various aspect ratios, as I most often align elements with percentages to "width/height" of the app (or start in the center and move left/right by X). But i have to admit, that my "games" do not fully use aspect ratios yet (except for black bars).

bye
Ron

Holzchopf

Quote from: Qube on April 23, 2018, 05:45:05ExBiEn ran in full screen and displayed black bars if it didn't fit the aspect ratio, so it shouldn't of looked too shocking full screen :o

Don't worry, you did a great job respecting that ;) Derron too. Maybe I exaggerated a *little bit* when I said no one would care (that's a valid measure to give your argument a bit more power) :P But I guess those hobby devs who just let everything stretch out are still the majority, that's why I think the "no fixed resolution" could actually bring quite a learning effect for many of us. I mean, I only started taking other resolutions into account when going mobile - and that was... last November?

STEVIE G

I was just looking at some entries for LD41 which was combine 2 incompatible/unlikely genres.  Looks like alot of fun and some wierd and wonderful combinations.  Turn based bullet hell, racing beat-em-up etc..

Qube

Quote from: STEVIE G on April 23, 2018, 16:59:42
I was just looking at some entries for LD41 which was combine 2 incompatible/unlikely genres.  Looks like alot of fun and some wierd and wonderful combinations.  Turn based bullet hell, racing beat-em-up etc..
That's a decent unique theme. Mix two genres ;D
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Steve Elliott

Yep, sounds good.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Xerra

Quote from: Qube on April 23, 2018, 18:43:50

Hmmm, let's hear your game idea about a turn based bullet hell, racing beat-em-up then?

Oh, wait! Road rage - played with dice.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

TomToad

That idea sounds a bit familiar :)
https://www.syntaxbomb.com/index.php/topic,4006.msg11870.html#msg11870
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.