Linux install and build

Started by iWasAdam, April 17, 2018, 15:12:59

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

first pick your linux
- Mint 64bit Sylvia
install it!

open shell and type the following:
sudo apt-get install g++ xorg-dev qtcreator libopenal-dev libgl1-mesa-dev libsdl2-dev

this will install the base compiler and other stuff

Next download monkey2 from git. The version we are interested in it V1.0.5
https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey2/releases/tag/v1.0.5

now we do the following to make sure everything is up to date:
sudo apt-get install build-essential

and finally we can start the install (thanks to Derron)
within "monkey2-1.0.5": (assuming you have done a "sudo apt-get install build-essential" before)
$ chmod +x scripts/*.sh
$ chmod +x bin/mx2cc_linux
$ cd scripts
$ ./rebuildall.sh
...waiting for the modules to get compiled
Afterwards there was a bin/ted2_linux/ted2 binary which enabled starting to code.

Qube

Forum soap applied and happy joy joy feelings restored :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

iWasAdam

:D
OK, next move is to get Ted21 working. Ted21 is my version of the editor with all the nice stuff added.
Mark changed the internals of monkey2 so I need to transfer V1.0.02 and do initial compiles so I can compile the editor.
I'm compiling now...

need to change a few filenames (case issues)
compiling Ted21
and.....

What was interesting was I could drag and drop the entire monkey2 folder from MacOS and compile. I now need to do this with the current version

iWasAdam

hmm. something interesting going on inside the linux version of mx2cc - I now need to do some further digging...

updated the base compiler - working I can now build, and also check

next up is the transfer of the new (additional) code into the old code...

iWasAdam

one step forward....

Guess what? Mark changed the version numbers from 1.1.0x to 1.0.0x
So I was (thinking) I was downloading V1.0.5 but I was actually download V1.-.05

Which means there was loads missing from the sources, which meant I needed to download V1.1.05 which doesn't exist, because the sources stop at V1.1.04 !!! <-which was when they were renumbered.

Why is this soo complex to unravel - LOL

iWasAdam

ok. I think last post for a while. I've got V1.1.04. Version 1.1.05 onward until 1.1 (note the numbering) are 'removed' from the github <conspiracy lovers insert your own thoughts here>?

luckily I have got (i think) V1.1.06 and maybe I can migrate the code to this version and it will all work. Either way I need to be using the exact same version across all platforms

So I think I'll try to get them all working the same today...

Derron

With github - or more specific "git" you do not have to rely on the releases.

If you know when something happened, you are free to go back in "git commit"-time and use a revision from then.
Means:

- go there: https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey2/commits/develop
- step through the commits ("older", "older")
or if you prefer to "scroll visually":
- go there: https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey2/network
- move on the graphs to the time you want.

For example I scrolled to 24th december and clicked on it
https://github.com/blitz-research/monkey2/commit/c879c2beaa12558398071f8483f7f0be03e4901d

See the "browse files" on the top right? Click on it so to get to a file listing of all m2-files in the version of that time

Now just hit the download button to get the complete m2 sources which were "current" at that time.

If you downloaded the whole git repository to your computer ("git clone https://www.github.com/blitz-research/monkey2") you could even do "cherry picks". Means you have eg. the code from 01.01.2017 but add commits done at 02.02.2018 ...
In many cases git will do the "changes" to the files automatically - merge conflicts mean, that you eg. want to modify a line which you already modified too, so git does not know what to take: your change, or the change you want to "bring in".

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

I tried git and dealing with the repositories and didn't really get on well with it - had files getting everywhere  ::)

but good news
I am now on V1.1.06 which is the next version I could find and got the base compiler operational on linux and mac with my additions. and also got ted21 operational across both platforms :)

One thing that will come out of this is a better understanding of what is going on with all the platforms - not something I wanted, but it is still interesting  :))

iWasAdam

ok. moved to v1.1.06 and got all the additional stuff added.
first compile on MacOS with 2d and sound is success
And also 3d!!!!!

next up will be linux... wish me luck?

iWasAdam

and.... another step back
there was an odd issue with mint not activating the screen on reboot - the infamous black boot screen
I did try and try and try to sort it out, but no avail.

so... I installed ubuntu
first was to check if it rebooted properly before anything else - ok
that all worked fine, so now I am at the recompiling stage... again

What is interesting is that ubuntu picked up more of the settings than mint did. and sort of feels 'more mature' (i am also getting better with linux too)

I'll keep you posted. it's been quite a steep curve but I think the top is in sight!

Derron

If you got a black screen - you most often could switch to a "terminal" - or do a rescue-boot but these things are "advanced usage" so I wont cover them now.

It sounds as if you installed it on real hardware? Just install it in a VM - you could do snapshots before you install drivers or such things.
Black Screens might occour if you install the GPU driver and it somehow fails to run with it - eg. incompatible driver (happens if you install "current" versions of nvidia/amd on older GPUs).

Mint XFCE is "low hardware specs" stuff, while a full feature Mint Mate/Cinnamon - or Ubuntu desktop is for stronger work horses (and of course contains way more features which you most often do not need :-)). Or how others say: most people start their OS to start a browser.

bye
Ron