Duplicate Filenames same folder

Started by Matty, April 13, 2018, 03:14:54

Previous topic - Next topic

Matty

See image attached - you ever see this before?

Duplicate filenames with different contents and date stamps in same folder (same case/lower/upper)

Windows 7.

(How it happens: C:\Users\Public and C:\Users\matthew.lloyd show in a single folder allowing for duplicates)

Had me stumped for a bit though.

Derron

You are in a special folder "Pictures Library". I assume it collects data from various sources - so eg. "users/All" and "users/yourname".

So I think this is the reason why you see some files multiple times. desktop.ini is normally a hidden file so you would not see that. Just go into your "c:\users" and check the various subfolders if they contain the files you see more than once.

bye
Ron

Rick Nasher

Yeah sort of correct. The libraries are virtual folders or something.

"Windows Libraries is a centralized place for bringing together all the related files from the different folder or different PCs. Precisely, Libraries is a collection of shortcuts to the original file or folder locations which can have its locations either on a local computer or on a network drive. This, to an extent also marks the difference between Libraries and User Folders, as User folders are actual folders while Libraries are collections of shortcuts to User folders."

See also: http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-libraries-windows-10

Qube

What you are seeing here is the "All users" desktop.ini file and your specific profile desktop.ini. The folder you are in is a "smart" folder ( like a search ) and that shows a collection of files rather than just the files in a specific directory.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.