Inferno - Movie Game Contest Entry

Started by iWasAdam, April 09, 2018, 15:46:01

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Thought "private" means I could still make it available by sharing the link.
Changed it to "unlisted" now. Hope that helps.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yep - all sorted.

It's very interesting to watch. my first thoughts are:
1. the system is working (when there is light)
2. something seems to like turning the lights off
3. I've now got the information I need...

It (initially) looks like monkey2 internal Rnd function is borked (which is what I always thought).
The Rnd function should really be giving similar results regardless of OS. I have noticed that (in some cases) the Rnd function just sits at 0 for most of the time until about a minute then it starts!

What I will do is look into unifying the internal code so the results give a properly operational value when called.

Just more crap to add to Marks (not brilliant) code!!!!

Derron

Hmm, raised an issue on the github-repo? Did not see it. Or is it something in your "modified/older" monkey2 version? Couldn't you do the lighting-randomness in the shader itself?

You might be able to do a "fake random generator" meanwhile...something like (untested):
(Edit: I extended the code to have a MinMax in too):

Code (BlitzMax) Select

SuperStrict
Framework Brl.StandardIO

Global startSeed1:Int = 12345
Global startSeed2:Int = 34567
Global startSeed3:Int = 56789
Global lastResult:Int

'https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generation
Function GenerateNumber:Int()
  lastResult =  (startSeed1 * lastResult + startSeed2) Mod startSeed3
  Return lastResult
End Function

Function GenerateNumberMinMax:Int(minV:Int, maxV:Int)
Return GenerateNumber() Mod (maxV - minV) + minV
End Function

For Local i:Int = 0 Until 10
Print "GenerateNumber() = " + GenerateNumber()
Next

For Local i:Int = 0 Until 10
Print "GenerateNumberMinMax(0,10) = " + GenerateNumberMinMax(0,10)
Next

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

mmm. great code. I'll see about thing :)

Derron

As you wrote that "rnd" works from time to time (or just not at the beginning) you might consider wrapping together both things:

rnd(val) + GenerateRandom()

So in the case of "repeatingly 0" you at least get the pseudo random number. Afterwards you need to "modulo" out the added random number if you want a value between "min and max". Means you "wrap around" your limits (1.1 becomes 0.1, 1.5 becomes 0.5, 0.5 stays 0.5).

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

Rnd updated and some flickering toned down with it now. I also fixed a few things whilst I was in the Rnd area and extended it a bit to make it more friendly to me :)

One thing I am taking note of with this (and it brother BloodCrypt) is the look is now nailed and everyone seems to like that, but gameplay is... Lets just say lacking.

So I will be taking all of this to heart and focusing down on gameplay next. :)

Derron

I think gameplay wise you can do different things:
- make a game for short breaks (waiting for the bus, sitting on the toilet, ...)
- make complex games (you play them in the evening for 2-3 hrs) - my TVTower is such a game

Think "inferno" would fit into the first area. Regardless of later stages get more complex or not (means adding new "block types" or so) - the game mechanic stays the same, you do not have much options to choose from. So there is the - as I wrote already - easy to learn, hard to master thing you need to "achieve" with that game type.
The more complex games are way harder to create as they require way more man power (more options = more assets/gfx, you might need advanced AI players ...).

For compos I think these (seemingly) "easy" game types are good candidates as you have way less to code (gameplay functionality wise, not engine wise) which allows to stay in the given time frame.

What I can think of your asset style and (maybe) likes is some kind of Dungeon Keeper alteration. So building some kind of mazes and do things in it. Other of your game ideas (the isometric flag/army one) have cool ideas, but imho fit better into "less raw" looking graphics. Strategic titles could use prerendered stuff - or a mixture of it (terrain is 3D but units are prerendered to allow high details). As you seem to have artistic skills I wonder with what you could come up when using "proper" 3d models (with textures and the likes). Some fantasy/medieval war game could suit nice to you - and you would have Matty as fanboy and "fanart provider" for free ;-)
Did I mention that I want to see that flag/army game running on my linuxbox, now as you have your engine "redone" a huge bit. Maybe create a worklog coding your engine - and bring it to life on Linux.

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yep. A good explanation on the 2 base types of games.

I will do a complete breakdown of what went into inferno after the compo has finished and I get me life back - lol
There has definitely been lots of internal (engine/technical) stuff been going on. I think I need to spend time with what i've created and see what it can do ;)

the isometric/flag game (warhand) was a great concept, but had issues it came to the operation. but yeah I take your point that there was something interesting in there (I think you solved a lot of the issues with your isometric engine - so you know what I mean)

Derron

Couldn't you redo this stuff now - with the new engine? I mean, the 2d sprites could get reused and get placed on a 3d based iso grid?

With some anti-aliasing I think it could look a bit more polished / less "rough" (eg. you could add some simple prerendere tile graphics on the 3d grid - as it is some kind of "static").

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

yep. It's sorta on my todo list now :)

iWasAdam

Here's a quick shot of bloodcrypt using an isometric viewpoint:

the screen picking is rock solid and all the issues with the graphics are solved almost immediately. so a new version of WarHand is possible now.... hmmmmm

Derron

I am requesting it as I think you are on a "run" now and you should use the possibility to finish old stuff to increase your "portfolio" :-)

And do not forget: create little test apps so we get that running on linux too.

bye
Ron