3 views of blood sewer

Started by iWasAdam, April 02, 2018, 11:52:48

Previous topic - Next topic

iWasAdam

Here's 3 views of the same position from blood sewer.
This is a great example of the new lighting systems in full operation giving glowing blood-red fluid.

first is the normal view:

Next we have the inhabit view - think Dungeon master

And finally the overhead view - where you can see much more of the table and tiles:

Derron

Last picture looks best - as it does not expose that "2d pixel"-drawings that much. So the whole thing - imho - looks better fitting together.

bye
Ron

RemiD

Nice ambiance, but the light flares looks weird imo.

Also, maybe try to create a low tris 3D characters to replace your flat 2D drawing, it will probably look better if you like to play with lighting shading.

You can use these low tris 3D characters (similar style) just for testing :
nuloen.com/wk.html

Derron

First two screens expose that the red glowing lava is not lighting the area right on top of it. The stones in the red stuff get darker and darker from top to bottom while they should get lit a bit. Or do I assume something wrong?

bye
Ron

Derron

You should be able to "fake" the lighting by adding some kind of "glow" quad some pixels higher (z-wise) than the flowing-red-something.

bye
Ron

RemiD

if the lighting comes from the lava, yes there is something wrong : the top of the beams should not be lighted !

This is not necessarily a problem with your lighting shading procedures but maybe a problem with how your surfaces are structured (the smoothing groups) some vertices may be shared between triangles when they should not be (depending on the angle between the 2 triangles normals)

iWasAdam

Thanks for the replies guys.
The lighting works completely different from any other lighting systems. the lighting is calculated on the cpu then fed into the gpu per frame allowing for automatic shadows as a tradeoff. the other thing is it is solid in the vertical - there is no falloff.

So there is no actual problem with shading groups - there aren't any! But your quite right in that I should add some form of falloff for the lighting that will compensate for the top of the beams. I'll have a look into that :)

RemiD

So your lighting shading system does not take into account the angle between lightsource vector -> vertex normal vector ? only the distance between lightsource -> surfacescreenpixel / surfacetexel ?

iWasAdam

yes (and no). it uses both, but in different ratios.
There is a single global light source to allow for bump mapping. the actual lighting itself uses this plus the incoming lightmap.
The lightmap is pixel based so there is no actual source - just the light itself.

But...
for every 3d object. there is a color morphed with a texture plus a lightmap plus global lighting plus bump mapping and finally some highlighting.
These are controlled per frame and per object, so all or any input can be changed. in practice this is done in the tile editor, where color/texture/bump is available via a slider for simplicity

Here's a shot with a pillar object

- all 3 pillars have the same base color - they could be different
- the first has no texture and no bump/highlight
- the second has just bump/highlight added at full
- the third has just texture added at full

All of these are mixed to get the required 'look'

Texturing and bump mapping come from a single uber texture. there is only one texture used for EVERYTHING. All models get their textures from this single image. It is currently rgb, but could be just a single channel with the 2 other channels used for other information if required.

Base bump mapping comes from a single normal map for everything with only one texture.

Everything (model data and texture data) is send to the GPU at startup and then kept there.
the only data that is sent to the GPU each frame is what object are wanted, where, and their surface information - several floats per object. NO 3d data or texture data is ever sent (it's already there)

RemiD

for per pixel lighting shading, even with my limited understanding, i think that the vertices normals are considered. (=the parts of the surface facing the opposite side of the lightsource, should not be lighted)

iWasAdam

You're missing the point. THERE ARE NO LIGHT SOURCES. I AM NOT USING ANY 3D LIGHTING!!!

RemiD

Ok, that's why it looks weird ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcxX0R8nnDs

iWasAdam

REMID I AM NOT USIONG ANY LIGHTING OR INPUTTED NORMALS

HOW MANY TIMES... THERE ARE NO 3D LIGHTS BEING USED!!!!!!!!!

I AM NOT USING ANY 3D LIGHTING

EL LIGHT NADA MORTE

PLINKO EN LIGHTAMA TU NADA ES

NO LIGHTS HERE

........!!!!!!!!

RemiD

ok ok ok
youtube.com/watch?v=oy5TJ0s2HJs

Naughty Alien