how to solve a blue screen error (Windows 7)

Started by RemiD, April 01, 2018, 15:43:42

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

Hello,

I have had problem with a blue screen error on Windows 7 the past few weeks, and i still have no idea of the cause, because the error is never the same and never happen at the same time or when launching / using a specific software.

But ! i have found about this little Windows tool and i have never read about it until this morning : https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/bsod-systemserviceexception-ndissys/f0c4572c-8fb1-4200-94ba-74c914b488b0
To check for device driver conflicts, I am going to recommend enabling Driver Verifier so we can get more info:

Driver Verifier:

What is Driver Verifier?

Driver Verifier is included in Windows 8, 7, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003 to promote stability and reliability; you can use this tool to troubleshoot driver issues. Windows kernel-mode components can cause system corruption or system failures as a result of an improperly written driver, such as an earlier version of a Windows Driver Model (WDM) driver.

Essentially, if there's a 3rd party driver believed to be at issue, enabling Driver Verifier will help flush out the rogue driver if it detects a violation.

Before enabling Driver Verifier, it is recommended to create a System Restore Point:

Vista - START | type rstrui - create a restore point
Windows 7 - START | type create | select "Create a Restore Point"
Windows 8 - http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/4690-restore-point-create-windows-8-a.html

How to enable Driver Verifier:

Start > type "verifier" without the quotes > Select the following options -

1. Select - "Create custom settings (for code developers)"
2. Select - "Select individual settings from a full list"
3. Check the following boxes -
- Special Pool
- Pool Tracking
- Force IRQL Checking
- Deadlock Detection
- Security Checks (Windows 7)
- Concurrentcy Stress Test ( Windows 8 )
- DDI compliance checking ( Windows 8 )
- Miscellaneous Checks
4. Select  - "Select driver names from a list"
5. Click on the "Provider" tab. This will sort all of the drivers by the provider.
6. Check EVERY box that is NOT provided by Microsoft / Microsoft Corporation.
7. Click on Finish.
8.    Restart.

Important information regarding Driver Verifier:

- If Driver Verifier finds a violation, the system will BSOD.

- After enabling Driver Verifier and restarting the system, depending on the culprit, if for example the driver is on start-up, you may not be able to get back into normal Windows because Driver Verifier will flag it, and as stated above, that will cause / force a BSOD.

If this happens, do not panic, do the following:

- Boot into Safe Mode by repeatedly tapping the F8 key during boot-up.

- Once in Safe Mode - Start > type "system restore" without the quotes.

- Choose the restore point you created earlier.
If you did not set up a restore point, do not worry, you can still disable Driver Verifier to get back into normal Windows:

- Start > Search > type "cmd" without the quotes.

- To turn off Driver Verifier, type in cmd "verifier /reset" without the quotes.
・    Restart and boot into normal Windows.

How long should I keep Driver Verifier enabled for?

It varies, many experts and analysts have different recommendations. Personally, I recommend keeping it enabled for at least 24 hours. If you don't BSOD by then, disable Driver Verifier.

My system BSOD'd, where can I find the crash dumps?

They will be located in %systemroot%\Minidump

It may help somebody in the future...

Goodlookinguy

I've been repairing computers for a long time, the crash dumps (mentioned at the bottom actually) and windows logs are usually my go-to to figure out why a BSOD occurred. Hasn't failed me yet.

Never heard of this tool, but I imagine it might be useful in rare cases. I appreciate the share.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

RemiD

@Goodlookinguy>>np, what do you suggest to do to identify the cause of the problem ? (how do you use the "crash dumps" and "windows logs" ?)

Thanks,

RemiD

I suspect that the problem is caused by my usb wifi panel antenna because the crash only happens when the antenna is connected and i use internet, and i have noticed that some webpages are not displayed correctly and that some sounds / music are not played correctly, but only if i am on the web / internet...
Not sure what i can do about it, this usb wifi panel antenna is old, i will probably end up buying a new one...

Goodlookinguy

In the dump files it will, a lot of times, indicate the driver name or type of failure that caused the BSOD. So it's usually pretty direct in most cases. In the logs, under Event Viewer -> Windows Logs -> System around the time the system fails it will have error and warning logs that can usually give me hints on where to look for the problem.

I should note that not all system problems are software problems. One time it was virtual memory that was crashing. It turned out that a portion of the hard drive was failing. Another time it was a faulty memory module causing bizarre behavior.

In the case of you, it looks like that adapter might be faulty. I've had a number of faulty adapters, so that's not surprising. Although you could try installing either a newer or older driver for it to see if that clears up the problem.

RemiD

you could try installing either a newer or older driver for it to see if that clears up the problem.
the only driver that i have is for windows vista, and i use windows 7...

Goodlookinguy

From my experience most Vista drivers are compatible with 7, but not all. So I definitely think that could be the problem here.

MagosDomina

When installing Vista drivers you oddly enough have to put the installer in XP compatibility mode, I've had to do this several times over the years for different hardware.

Rick Nasher

What BSOD stop code(s) do you get?
If the system reboots right after so you can't read it then you can disable the auto-restart feature.
https://www.lifewire.com/disable-the-automatic-restart-on-system-failure-in-windows-7-2626275

Also handy:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-code-reference2

Just in case you didn't know all that already(unlikely). ;)