Blitzmax-NG for pentium 3 and below...

Started by Yellownakji, March 25, 2018, 07:44:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Yellownakji

I upgraded to 0.93 so i could test this;   I was using 0.87 before;

I was able to compile for 486 and get it running on my Pentium3 machine, and with 60fps too  :P , using MAXIDE.

I found there was a slight issue for Blide PLUS, however removing MinGW from my system path fixed that completely.

I've posted my results, see attachment.

Also, i want to point out this is with D3D9Max2.

--

Sorry about my attitude, Brucey.  I didn't mean to plague. - Perhaps this whole thread should just be deleted in favor of a single guide.  :'(

Brucey

Glad you got it working in the end :-)

If you have any issues, ask questions and we'll try to get them resolved. You are of course free to make assumptions about things, but they may not always be correct.

Yellownakji

thank you for understanding....  :)

This is definitely off topic but i was wondering about how "PPC" is mentioned in MaxIDE.    Is that powerPC macintosh?

Is support planned or is it removed?   I assume it's greyed out since i am on windows.

markcwm

Well if we're apologizing I'd like to say sorry to Yellownakji for scolding you, it isn't my place to do that, and you were only being a bit rude anyway.

So if I understand all you need to do is add "setwin32ccopt arch -march=i486" into custom.bmk?

Yes, PPC is PowerPc Mac, before they went to Intel's cpu. They had problems with overheating, the more powerful they got the hotter they got, they made a liquid cooling system for PowerMac 5 but it was too noisy, the PowerBook was quiet but slow, it's hard to get online videos working now, I think there's a special browser for it, but unwatchable becuase of the poor framerate. Basically only good for DVD player and MP3 collection.

Yellownakji

Yeah Mark, add that arch to custom.bmk;   Also if you use BLIDE, remove MINGW from your system path.  -   I also could only get 0.93 to work which means i had to port all of kippy and i's work since Openb3d isn't fully compatible yet.   """mr.kip""" is very sensitive about his 3D...,  So i spent time i didn't have porting our sources because he refuses to upgrade ATM..  ::)  We rely on banks and for some reason, we had to add "size_t()" to all of our ints (when used in a pokebyte and peekbyte)...;  it worked prior without it and returned int already... ugh.   ???

Oh and kippy keeps putting types on the end of variables that are in statements, still.   That mixed with spaghetti indenting is another reason why i don't like to port portions he writes.

--

Anyways, i was wondering why PPC was greyed out.   I have an IBook G3 snow white;   I am not really interested in making software for the PPC but i am just curious.   If it wasn't greyed out, i would have tested it.   but i think it's because i am not on MAC. 

I think you need to be on MAC to compile for intel MAC anyways, so maybe PPC too even thought i thought maxide was windows only and you had to use xcode or something for MAC.

--

Oh an Mark, thanks for the apology.   I am sorry too.  --  I didn't want to end up being taken as rude but i tend to write blunt;  I guess my post was over the top and yeah, that's my fault.  Most of my replies to anyone are usually assertive or whatever you'd like to call it. 

I was genuinely frustrated though with the "everyone has moved on from pentium 3" though;  I really wish stuff like that didn't exist.   I just wanted to discuss P3 support and anything old gets those replies.. and it really annoyed me when tomtoad and others did that.   Not, it's not masochism like someone said..

Masochism would be old linux.

Next time a punjab goes to kip's forum looking for a google chrome extension, i'll just tell them "hurr durr whomst uses chrome in 2018 use seamonkey".

Just banter, of course.   I hope we can be neutral from now on.

markcwm

Did you try using TDM GCC 5.1 with NG 0.93 or did you use MinGW-x64 7.2? Modern compilers are crashing the Openb3d wrapper at the moment unfortunately.

Size_T is "Unsigned 32/64 bit integer Type" is for 32/64-bit compatibility it seems, I think its for C code in Brl.Blitz.

Yes, PPC is greyed out because with Bmx you have to be on that OS to build anything, Brucey did manage a cross-platform compiler but I couldn't follow it. On Mac/Linux MaxIDE is almost the same as it is written in MaxGUI which is cross-platform. You need Xcode on Mac to get the compiler, on Linux you install various packages.

Yellownakji

You'll have to ask kippy specifically as he's the one that currently uses 3D.  My current project is 2D.

But for 0.93, we're using MINGW32X86.  Not sure of the version;  It's the one that comes with fresh 0.93.

--

I have a mac so i'll set up blitzmax later and toy around a bit.   PPC seems funny to compile for, so i'll try later.