Linux

Started by Pfaber11, March 17, 2018, 15:03:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Pfaber11

I am writing my games on windows 10 and compiling them to an exe file. Can I use this file straight away without any modifications and load it onto a Linux computer. I'm using 7zip to combine the media files and my exe file. Thanks.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Pfaber11

I guess what I'm asking is do I need to do anything to my AGK2 program to run it on a Linux machine and what about 7zip. ?
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .

MikeHart

Quote from: Pfaber11 on March 17, 2018, 15:03:35
I am writing my games on windows 10 and compiling them to an exe file. Can I use this file straight away without any modifications and load it onto a Linux computer. I'm using 7zip to combine the media files and my exe file. Thanks.

no, you can't.

TomToad

You will need to compile on a Linux machine. You will need a32 bit Linux os to compile a32 bit program and a64 bit os to compile a 64 bit program. https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/54_linux.htm
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Pfaber11

Oh right thanks for that. Havn't used Linux in a few years.  Thought that may be the case. Just have to stick to windows for now.

Rick Nasher

Ubuntu is the easiest to setup, almost like windows.  :)

Pfaber11

Just installed linux mint 18.3 cinnamon  and downloaded steam then agk for linux all seems good so far . Didn't have to pay again for agk just downloaded it from steam. will be getting stuck into it this week and getting constructive . i had my reasons for swapping to linux . Used it a few years ago for a year or so so have a good idea of what i'm upto but am always open to suggestions . have a very nice day.

Pfaber11

I did have one small problem that it would not run an AGK executable , if this happens open the terminal and  type
$ sudo apt install libcurl3 . This did it for me . Anybody else out there using linux ? Any thing i should know about it?

Derron

To see the dependencies of a binary: $ ldd binaryname
and it outputs some stuff - think you recognize what is missing. Attention: there are 2 entries belonging to some existing stuff while it looks it is missing - some "linux special stuff".

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote from: Pfaber11 on March 17, 2018, 15:03:35
Quote from: MikeHart on March 17, 2018, 15:30:33
no, you can't.
Lol, straight to the point :P

If you want to create a Linux version of your game then the free way is to install something like Ubuntu with VirtualBox. If you want to splash out on a ( subjectively better system ) then for windows there is VMWare workstation and on Mac there is Parallels or VMWare Fusion. Personally I use Parallels on Mac for 99% of Windows / Linux stuff and it's works brilliantly.

But overall compiling for Linux via AGK is a complete breeze. If you are not native booting into Linux then - Virtualization software > Linux Distro > Install AGK > compile and go.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.