June 27, 2019, 12:10:42 AM

Author Topic: Linux  (Read 1188 times)

Offline Pfaber11

Linux
« on: March 17, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »
I am writing my games on windows 10 and compiling them to an exe file. Can I use this file straight away without any modifications and load it onto a Linux computer. I'm using 7zip to combine the media files and my exe file. Thanks.

Offline Pfaber11

Re: Linux
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 03:25:01 PM »
I guess what I'm asking is do I need to do anything to my AGK2 program to run it on a Linux machine and what about 7zip. ?

Offline MikeHart

• Cerberus-X Dev Team
    • Cerberus X
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 03:30:33 PM »
I am writing my games on windows 10 and compiling them to an exe file. Can I use this file straight away without any modifications and load it onto a Linux computer. I'm using 7zip to combine the media files and my exe file. Thanks.

no, you can't.

Offline TomToad

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 03:42:00 PM »
You will need to compile on a Linux machine. You will need a32 bit Linux os to compile a32 bit program and a64 bit os to compile a 64 bit program. https://www.appgamekit.com/documentation/guides/54_linux.htm
------------------------------------------------
8 rabbits equals 1 rabbyte.

Offline Pfaber11

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 03:52:00 PM »
Oh right thanks for that. Havn't used Linux in a few years.  Thought that may be the case. Just have to stick to windows for now.

Offline Rick Nasher

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 09:12:21 PM »
Ubuntu is the easiest to setup, almost like windows.  :)

Offline Pfaber11

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 03:00:47 PM »
Just installed linux mint 18.3 cinnamon  and downloaded steam then agk for linux all seems good so far . Didn't have to pay again for agk just downloaded it from steam. will be getting stuck into it this week and getting constructive . i had my reasons for swapping to linux . Used it a few years ago for a year or so so have a good idea of what i'm upto but am always open to suggestions . have a very nice day.

Offline Pfaber11

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 04:37:42 PM »
I did have one small problem that it would not run an AGK executable , if this happens open the terminal and  type
$ sudo apt install libcurl3 . This did it for me . Anybody else out there using linux ? Any thing i should know about it?

Offline Derron

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2018, 05:11:16 PM »
To see the dependencies of a binary: $ ldd binaryname
and it outputs some stuff - think you recognize what is missing. Attention: there are 2 entries belonging to some existing stuff while it looks it is missing - some "linux special stuff".

bye
Ron

Offline Qube

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2018, 05:08:19 AM »
no, you can't.
Lol, straight to the point :P

If you want to create a Linux version of your game then the free way is to install something like Ubuntu with VirtualBox. If you want to splash out on a ( subjectively better system ) then for windows there is VMWare workstation and on Mac there is Parallels or VMWare Fusion. Personally I use Parallels on Mac for 99% of Windows / Linux stuff and it's works brilliantly.

But overall compiling for Linux via AGK is a complete breeze. If you are not native booting into Linux then - Virtualization software > Linux Distro > Install AGK > compile and go.
Until the next time...