Site suggestions, the future and other stuff

Started by Qube, June 12, 2017, 01:40:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

Quote from: Qube on September 29, 2017, 09:48:45
From the options I can see there is no ability to do that, which would be handy and an obvious first port of call to us mere mortals. There are options to moderate based on post count but I have to create new membership groups and move current users.
Well that's a crying shame.

Glad to hear the counter measures are in place.

Quote from: Qube on September 30, 2017, 00:33:12
That should take care of those pesky spam bots  >:(
"Life finds a way."

Qube

Quote"Life finds a way."
True... Current members with more than one post can spam the boards :P
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

(short reply after my sun hit some keyboard shortcuts and browser moved to another page - "back" did not restore the latest content, should modern BB handle).

I would add a questionized-captcha-thing. What I mean is: when trying to register you need to answer a site-specific question (eg. something like "Complete the word: Blit**ax" or some coding-question).
If you allowed guest postings, this catalog of questions would be used too (for each posting/edit).

I am doing this for my fluxbb-based board for years now and I get less than 1 bot each 6 months - and these are manually registered ones (they might get the "too generic questions").

These custom solutions are better than "reCaptcha" as reCaptcha could be redirected to captcha-solving-farms (cheap workers in Asia or the more expensive Africa). You might know them from services like "9kw" which allow some "you solve 10 captchas for the service - and you get 8 captchas solved automatically from our services".

bye
Ron

Qube

Our first mass spammer stopped in their tracks :

2 pages / 18 posts of crap and none appeared on the forums. Two clicks, moderation queue empty and user banned :P - At least the system works :D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Derron

Icons have white pixels at the corner: without checking them in detail either change the button-background-css or make them really transparent. The youtube-buttons are...nonexisting here.

Also it is more common to have all images in one spritesheet to decrease loading time by reducing request-count from 30+ to 2 (the animated one would still be a single image).

The wysiwyg-editor has problems in my chrome-browser: while writing normal text it suddenly lowers font size, while doing some "bla -> blubb" it reduced text size to "unreadable" - but hey, not while writing (I did not see that while typing) but just after posting the content. When not reviewing "pure text"-posts it might be the case that my posts seem to miss content which gets replaced by "[./font.]" or "[./size.]" tags. Very odd.

After posting I get redirected to the thread-list rather than to my just posted reply (which would make errors in formatting/styling easier to recognize). This is because the "Return to this topic."-checkbox is by default unchecked on the quick-reply-forms.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteThe youtube-buttons are...nonexisting here.
Fixed.

QuoteIcons have white pixels at the corner: without checking them in detail either change the button-background-css or make them really transparent.
I didn't make them :P - I guess I could edit each one to make them transparent around the edges. You would of thought they'd be that way from the start.

QuoteAlso it is more common to have all images in one spritesheet to decrease loading time by reducing request-count from 30+ to 2 (the animated one would still be a single image).
I don't think I've ever seen a forum done like that? - It makes sense, but again, I did not make it that way. I assume it was done the way it is so addons can easily add custom buttons to the reply box.

QuoteThe wysiwyg-editor has problems in my chrome-browser: while writing normal text it suddenly lowers font size, while doing some "bla -> blubb" it reduced text size to "unreadable" - but hey, not while writing (I did not see that while typing) but just after posting the content. When not reviewing "pure text"-posts it might be the case that my posts seem to miss content which gets replaced by "[./font.]" or "[./size.]" tags. Very odd.
Never had any issues like you describe. Anyone else?

QuoteAfter posting I get redirected to the thread-list rather than to my just posted reply (which would make errors in formatting/styling easier to recognize). This is because the "Return to this topic."-checkbox is by default unchecked on the quick-reply-forms.
Use the full reply and tick the box :D

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Yes i had the smaller font size problem too. Several times.

Qube

Quote from: MikeHart on October 06, 2017, 16:59:10
Yes i had the smaller font size problem too. Several times.
Yay! site faults... Can you provide steps on how I reproduce that? ( browser, what you did etc etc ).

Until the next time.

Derron

Browser: Version 61.0.3163.100 (Offizieller Build) (64-Bit)

$ inxi -Fxz
System:    Host: RonnyPC Kernel: 3.19.0-32-generic x86_64 (64 bit gcc: 4.8.2)
           Desktop: Xfce 4.12.2 (Gtk 2.24.23) Distro: Linux Mint 17.3 Rosa
Machine:   Mobo: ASUSTeK model: F1A75-M LE v: Rev X.0x
           Bios: American Megatrends v: 1505 date: 08/07/2012
CPU:       Quad core AMD A8-3850 APU with Radeon HD Graphics (-MCP-) cache: 4096 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4a svm) bmips: 23197
           clock speeds: max: 2900 MHz 1: 1800 MHz 2: 1400 MHz 3: 1800 MHz
           4: 1100 MHz
Graphics:  Card: NVIDIA GK106 [GeForce GTX 650 Ti Boost] bus-ID: 01:00.0
           Display Server: X.Org 1.17.1 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1920x1200@60.0hz, 1280x1024@60.0hz
           GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST/PCIe/SSE2
           GLX Version: 4.5.0 NVIDIA 384.90 Direct Rendering: Yes

How to reproduce?: Write text, using Shift-key to uppercase things, using "del" to remove things, ... just normal typing. Maybe "Alt-Tabbing" inbetween.

@ Icons and "single spritesheet"
This does not stop addons to add new buttons. The spritesheet would be referenced by the button via a "class='imgXYZ'"-css-definition. This doesn't bother other buttons :-)

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote@ Icons and "single spritesheet"
This does not stop addons to add new buttons. The spritesheet would be referenced by the button via a "class='imgXYZ'"-css-definition. This doesn't bother other buttons :-)
Perhaps they chose the single image method as the atlas style sheets method would be more difficult if multiple add-ons added extra buttons and issues with screen wrap, older browsers, mobile, laziness etc?, who knows. Whatever the reason, I'm sure they went down the image per button route for a reason.

QuoteHow to reproduce?: Write text, using Shift-key to uppercase things, using "del" to remove things, ... just normal typing. Maybe "Alt-Tabbing" inbetween.
I gave it a good hammering on Chrome & Safari without issue ( only tested on Mac ). I will test again on Windows today :)

Until the next time.

MikeHart

Quote from: Qube on October 07, 2017, 05:10:10
Quote@ Icons and "single spritesheet"
Perhaps they chose the single image method as the atlas style sheets method would be more difficult if multiple add-ons added extra buttons and issues with screen wrap, older browsers, mobile, laziness etc?, who knows. Whatever the reason, I'm sure they went down the image per button route for a reason.

QuoteHow to reproduce?: Write text, using Shift-key to uppercase things, using "del" to remove things, ... just normal typing. Maybe "Alt-Tabbing" inbetween.
I gave it a good hammering on Chrome & Safari without issue ( only tested on Mac ). I will test again on Windows today :)

I am not sure, but try replying to a quote. There is happens to me several times. I am on Windows 7 Home 64 bit using latest Chrome. And when you do inserts, remove something. Add formating to you reply.

Derron

- each "enter" I use in the post-content form appears twice, if I edit the post then and remove each second new-line it stays correct then

- writing something, pressing enter, writing something and then moving to the begin of the second-written line plus using "backspace" reduces the fontsize of the "next" text.

example:

bye
Ron

MikeHart

Maybe it has to do with mobile browsers? Last I had this happen was on my phone.

Derron

I guess I did not use a screen grabber on my mobile phone :p

As stated above I am running Chrome on a normal desktop computer... running linux. The "double new line" issue happens also on woltlab-boards so it is surely an issue with the browser-forum-jscript-combination. I somehow think it has trouble with the differences regarding new lines in linux, windows and on mac (you know \r\n and \n ... when loading a linux text file on an old windows notepad).

bye
Ron

Derron

Write a line and hit Enter once.
Works. Hit it now twice for a free/empty line.

Works, created a single line. Now to non-wysiwyg-mode.
We got a line added for free...

When just posting your stuff without correcting it in non-wysiwyg-mode it will post it with that added empty lines - leading to looongish posts which seem to have more than desired white-space :-)