Site suggestions, the future and other stuff

Started by Qube, June 12, 2017, 01:40:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

Hmm? where did you disable it? Shift-F5 reloaded the whole thing (so new css, new js, ...) and I still can toggle it on off and it still doubles my line breaks when loading the reply box, entering some lines and switch to "non wysiwyg" via button click.
Also clicking on a editor-button is showing that wysiwyg is "on" by default.

There are plenty of these bbcode-capable wysiwyg-editors out there, dunno why they do not just replace it with another lightweight one. Maybe even one that looks a bit more like a rich text editor than a textarea + some buttons.

bye
Ron

Qube

QuoteAlso clicking on a editor-button is showing that wysiwyg is "on" by default.
I set it to off by default. So it should be erm, off by default.

If you click on "Profile > Modify Profile > Look and Layout" then you tick off "Show WYSIWYG editor on post page by default." - It's off on mine and works.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

Ahh ok, were was a checkbox ... found it, unchecked, and works. Thanks.

bye
Ron

MagosDomina

Not sure if this has been already discussed but does this forum/website take donations? I consider this place an invaluable resource. So if I could contribute anything it make me feel better.  ;D

Qube

Quote from: MagosDomina on June 04, 2018, 22:45:48
Not sure if this has been already discussed but does this forum/website take donations? I consider this place an invaluable resource. So if I could contribute anything it make me feel better.  ;D
That's very kind of you to offer, thank you. We don't have any donation buttons and with a bit of luck we'll never need to :) - Keep coding, that's good enough for me ;D
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD

Until the next time.

Derron

@ MagosDomina

If you want to "donate" - why not send that money for the next competition price pot? Especially if you enter the competition it is your chance to get the money back :-)

bye
Ron

MagosDomina

A competition sounds like a fun challenge but it would shift away precious time from my magnus opus.  8)

RemiD

on blitz3dfr, the instant messages box was at the bottom of the forum, and was often active, maybe put the instant messages box of syntaxbomb in a similar place ?

Derron

@ code blocks
Maybe add support for some other "often used" languages: lua, c/h, bash/sh - and if available, support for your beloved AGK.

bye
Ron

Qube

Quote from: Derron on December 07, 2018, 12:26:00
@ code blocks
Maybe add support for some other "often used" languages: lua, c/h, bash/sh - and if available, support for your beloved AGK.
I don't know if its the SMF forum integration module or GESHI itself. But the syntax highlighting side isn't as clean as I'd like. I've tried different themes per language but they just get ignored, hence why currently all languages use the BB colours. Having one coloured style isn't such a bad thing and I don't mind adding more but we're not getting many post with "lua, c/h, bash/sh" to warrant the effort?. I agree that AGK could do with being added so if anyone wants to provide a full list of commands and operators then I'll happily spend the additional time in adding it in :)

Until the next time.

Derron

https://highlightjs.org/

@ languages
I think "c" is not that rarely used - especially as many of our beloved languages somehow are able to communicate with c-stuff.

Also I do not need "different" themes ... just basic helpful colorization (comments, keywords, strings, numbers ...) aka all the stuff most syntax highlighters offer. Geshi is nice if you want "server side" support. I think people without "java script enabled" are either doing it by purpose (and are able to "whitelist" your page accordingly - or just keep the "non colored" textarea version) or do not know about java-script (others blocked it) and then this means they wont be into programming at all.
Such "decoration" stuff is pretty well suited to be done by a JS script rather a server side processed script.

Geshi should have C-support out of the box - still your forum says "unknown language" if you have a {code=c}block{/code}.

@ highlight js
To keep things small you can of course build your own variant with less languages to support.

I did not want to motivate you to "manually code" syntax highlighters - just use something which does the stuff for you (like hljs or geshi).

bye
Ron

Rick Nasher

@Qube
What ever happend to site suggestion "We need a ROFL emoticon/emoji? - Was it dismissed?

If not, but just forgotten then can be found here(but you probably know already:

https://emojipedia.org/rolling-on-the-floor-laughing/

While at it I'd also like to vote for:

- "Pint" (for the occasional cheers)

https://emojipedia.org/microsoft/windows-10-october-2018-update/clinking-beer-mugs/

Seasonals:
- "Santa", "Deer", "Snowman", "Fire", etc.

https://emojipedia.org/father-christmas/

- the famous "Dancing Banana" e.g:

Ah wait.. remember you saying somewhere that you were too busy coding boring stuff at work - understandable then(assuming that's the reason)..  ;)

P.S.: Oh and of course a SyntaxBomb emoji!

round157

My suggestion:
===========

Change the name of the sub-forum "Blitz 2D/3D". The reason is that the name "Blitz 2D/3D" is not too clear in meaning for new members.

I suggest that the old sub-forum name is replaced by "Blitz2D, BlitzPlus, Blitz3D". Then all new members will easily know the actual purpose of this sub-forum. Sure. Thanks a lot!

Please, please consider my suggestion.

Qube

QuoteI did not want to motivate you to "manually code" syntax highlighters - just use something which does the stuff for you (like hljs or geshi).
Geshi includes a lot of syntax highlighters that I've not included as the colours are way off for this theme and so need manually editing. I don't mind doing it providing they are going to be used often and not just as a one off. If there are languages that are often used on this forum that would benefit from proper syntax highlighting then let me know :)

Quote@Qube
What ever happend to site suggestion "We need a ROFL emoticon/emoji? - Was it dismissed?
It wasn't dismissed, no. What happened was I had a quick look into adding new emoji's ( including in the reply box ) but it wasn't as straight forward as I'd hoped. With the SMF forums it looks like there's a few hoops to jump through. I may have missed something obvious. I will look into this before the weekend. If no new emoji's have popped up before the new year then please remind me :)

QuoteChange the name of the sub-forum "Blitz 2D/3D". The reason is that the name "Blitz 2D/3D" is not too clear in meaning for new members.
Done.

Until the next time.

Derron

I thought Gesih and highlightjs auto-detect languages if none is provided - and you configure them accordingly.
The main culprit is that {code=BlitzMax}...{/code} has to be known to users. I saw posts here wich even did not contain any code box at all. Others might just click on the "code"-button in the "editor toolbar". Maybe having a dropdown (similar to "font face") could be a little coder job for you (now as you do not enter the competition ;-)). Think it needs a bit grunt work and is not available as "plugin" for SMF (did not search so ymmv).

Aside of the just described "easy peasy selection" it would in my opinion need these languages:
- blitzmax / blitz3d / blitzplus
- AGK (if possible)
- monkey...
- c/c++
- php
- js
- sh

They _should_ be (maybe except PHP) pretty small codewise but should cover the most often used code snippets here. I know that PHP/JS might not be posted here that often BUT they are also "beginner" languages which means chances are high to see them from time to time. Matty is prefering PHP/JS over AGK, Monkey, ...
AGK and monkey code is what I do not see often here - why? They have their own forums so people might ask there instead of here. Here you will mostly see Blitz*-stuff as the forums are shut down and people will ask in one of the forums talking about Blitz* languages.
So you only get code blocks from dudes already lurking around here and asking their "buddies" for help. So you end up with the languages we talk about here - or languages others might use for their little projects (and for web this becomes PHP/JS).
I know that there is "Python" all around the web but at least here in the forums it plays a very very minor role - would change if you all accepted Blender as the way to go for your 3d assets (-> plugins/script writing!).

@ Colors
https://highlightjs.org/static/demo/
They offer 80+ styles which seem pretty consistent in itself.

bye
Ron