differences between Blitzmax (from BRL) and Blitzmax NG ?

Started by RemiD, March 15, 2018, 18:37:52

Previous topic - Next topic

meems

QuoteWhat bugs? Have you raised any GitHub issues so that Brucey can fix them?
by proxy yes. check my deletetex thread. there was the deleteTex bug that got ID'ed and fixed. There's the bitmap bug thats been ignored afaik ( use png's ! ), another bug that I sidestepped, then the latest one that caused me to move back to legacy.

therevills

Still raise them yourself on GitHub, then it can be tracked.

Brucey

Yes, if no-one tells me something is broken, I can't fix it...

Reproducible examples are quite helpful too.

Derron

Quote from: meems on March 21, 2018, 01:57:40
There's the bitmap bug thats been ignored afaik ( use png's ! )

The bug wasn't ignored, in fact brucey seemed to try to make it work:
https://github.com/bmx-ng/pub.mod/commit/52b6e1fd30af7d1ccf7aa29714713c1bcd941f75
which was done 2 days ago, might change what you experience with your "4 bit bmp".

But I created some test files - and surprise surprise - I got bmp files not working with vanilla but with NG - or otherwise.
https://github.com/bmx-ng/brl.mod/issues/64

As brl.bmpLoader does not use external stuff, this might help narrowing down things. but as said, you should really consider creating issues on github so things could get tracked a bit easier. Also it is way more encouraging for Brucey to see people try to help - instead of nagging or making him travel around the internet to collect bugs.

bye
Ron

meems

ok, i will endevour to look for and isolate an NG bug about once a week. I'm deving on legacy but I can test run my code on NG.
Latest test shows the debugstop bug (#4) has gone, but a form of the DeleteTex bug (#5) is back. Brucey said there was a superficial fix to the 1st deleteTex bug, but it would not solve the underlying cause. I don't know which fix he implemented, the quick or the deep.

I'm not just increasing the number of textures to overload the quick fix. The bug seems to be caused by an underlying  problem.

edit : a minor bug I see is specific to my hardware setup. I have 3 hard-disks. One of them likes to go to sleep if idle for >5 mins. When called in this state it takes a second to wake up, by which time NG has given up and fails the compile attempt. But works at 2nd attempt since the harddisk is woke.

meems