Creature Corp - Movie Game Contest Entry

Started by Derron, March 14, 2018, 14:07:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

hmm "Computer shop" - I planned to have some creature "shop" game: you create cartoons, CGI monsters, ... for 3rd party contracts or later on your own movies. Quality of what you do is based on skills the employees have + productivity mods the production devices inherit (simply spoken: a good computer makes things a bit faster).

The more often people do jobs the better they get in it and the more points they produce per "time slot" (second or so) - of course only if they are working on a production device. Just lurking around wont bring points for the production.

With finished productions (either given X points of a production aspect or a time frame ended) you earn money for upgraded or new devices, sending your employees to training programmes or maybe doing things like promotions of your own movies. Maybe "research" patents can be paid so you can improve base quality of aspect X without your own "while working"-research. "X improved render times by 10%".

bye
Ron

Rick Nasher

@Derron

That sounds like a really different and refreshing idea. You might be on to something there.  8)

Derron

Added idle + "search new target" to the units.

Please excuse the look - the black dude is not wearing a brown latex mask. Think gray hair (beard + eyebrows) does not look well in that size. Also the satin-backlighting looks a bit odd there.
Idle animation is a bit too subtle but I needed to redo it properly as I accidentally scaled the characters before animating the rig - and this lead to some probs during reset of the scales. Might add some idles later on but I am already on 30+ minutes of rendering time when doing 5 characters. So for now the animations will have to do and I should concentrate more on the game itself.

bye
Ron

Steve Elliott

My first impression was Sim Hospital.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RemiD

Cool bots, :) curious to see what the gameplay is about.

Xerra

Quote from: Steve Elliott on March 28, 2018, 16:29:46
My first impression was Sim Hospital.

My first impression was little computer people. Everyone remembers that, right?
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Steve Elliott

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

Used to love this:

Little Computer People - the predecessor of all sims..

Completely pointless of course, but fascinating to watch at the time.
You'd give the little fellow a command like "feed the dog" and then hoping for ever he'd do it, which most of the time he wouldn't- just ignored you, living his own little life.  :D

I remember going through the code searching for which commands were allowed.

Xerra

Quote from: Rick Nasher on March 29, 2018, 11:06:16
Used to love this:

Little Computer People - the predecessor of all sims..

The game had a feature where the look and character of the person you got when you first loaded the game was always the same. I doubt very much it was different code for different copies of the game so there must have been some algorithm involved in generating the character as there was no saving data on the tape version but every load you got the same guy.

David Crane is a very clever programmer. I was always in awe of how much content there was in the single-load Ghostbusters.
M2 Pro Mac mini - 16GB 512 SSD
ACER Nitro 5 15.6" Gaming Laptop - Intel® Core™ i7, RTX 3050, 1 TB SSD
Vic 20 - 3.5k 1mhz 6502

Latest game - https://xerra.itch.io/Gridrunner
Blog: http://xerra.co.uk
Itch.IO: https://xerra.itch.io/

Derron

Afternoon nap for the son - so I had 1hr of playing around with Blender.
Created some low-poly stuff but as I am rendering them, I use a lot of subDiv to smooth out things. Maybe I need to do them even more LowPoly.

Have some other stuff done too, but I do not want to disclose everything - basic idea is to have som "late 80s" or "early 90s" devices ready for the dudes lurking around.

I also added some spawning/vanishing mechanism so people start outside of the building and walk at first. They than do according to their task: try to find an unoccupied device or walking around in the building. Will add some coffee machines for spare time activities :-)

bye
Ron

Derron

Had a bit of time yesterday and created some movie equipment. Now, before leaving home I had the time to create some "IWasAdam"-esque skyscrapers :p

This is one of the "late 80s" special effects production device - there will be some "animatronics" or claymation thingy ... will see if it fits.

And yes, the wooden tables are by intention - we talk about the eighties (I know there were metal desks already but dunno, think it is nicer to have this look than an industrial/commercial one).

bye
Ron

iWasAdam

brilliant :)

if you really wanted to be 80's furniture, then it should be Black Ash. it was all the rage with some colorful wallpaper at the time ;)

Derron

Black Ash was nowhere in our GDR homes :-p

Think the 80s desks need to bit way more "stuffed" (books etc) - things you do not have anymore on your desk thanks to the internet.

bye
Ron

Derron

Had less time than thought this weekend ... saturday with buddies, sunday with family (parents, brothers/sisters and their kids, ...). So I only had a very few hours to protoype a simple interface and add some interactivity.

Think I found some bugs in Blender (am not moving/rotating the cameras, but while my scripts render stuff they sometimes get moved out of the sudden...). Also learned how to use "random" input in Blender's material nodes to have different cloth/skin color tones on new character instances. Added also some small "shapes" so I could adjust nose size, breast size, ear size ... and so on. Fans of pigtails now also have a female (potential) employee to look at.

There is no real game play added yet (the whole "project" stuff is "todo"). Dunno if I can squeeze everything in on tomorrow and tuesday's evening. If not you are just getting an application showing you some persons walking into a building, doing some stuff, walking out ... :-)

PS: yes, some GFX for borders/datasheets is based on some of my FOSS work in TVTower/DIG - so you might have "seen it somewhere" already.

bye
Ron

Qube

Does look pretty intriguing to what it's all about. Hope you get to finish it in time :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.