Stephen Hawkins

Started by ENAY, March 14, 2018, 06:16:01

Previous topic - Next topic

ENAY

Well that's another famous person gone. I don't know whether it's because I'm getting older, or do celebrities seem to be dying off at a high pace these days?

I think Stephen will be sorely missed. I just have to wonder what with all these famous people dying recently, who will fill their shoes? Whether it's Arnie, Jean Michelle Jarre.

I'm starting to feel old.

therevills

:( Sorry to hear that Prof. Hawking's atoms will be returning to the stars from where they came...

Naughty Alien

...its not that i have no sympathy for this sort of thing, but i admit, i kind a lost it, after watching very young children die because they had no clean water to drink..you know..after you see that, tears feel wasted for anything else..

meems

all his ideas about the cosmos were wrong. he held back understanding for a generation.

plenatus

@Naughty Alien: I agree with you. My daughter died of an incurable disease. She was only four years old.

Btw.: Of course, Hawkins was a genius.

Steve Elliott

We've lost a genius and voice of reason regarding our government's shameful dismantle of the NHS.  RIP.  :(

Hmm I guess some people here have no tact, so probably best you don't say anything.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Naughty Alien

..well..that guy basically claim that, we are nothing..our existence is nothing and not important at all..there is no purpose in our life or death or whatever we do or dont as it goes in to nothing, its all just an freak accident and nothing beyond that...

well..i just give him what he said he believed...so i feel nothing for his presence or not...after all, if world went quiet without man such as Tesla, who died alone and poor in small hotel room, while from his work directly, every human being today benefit from, why to care for this guy..hype over nothing, as he believed in to..nothing..

meems

Quote from: Steve Elliott on March 14, 2018, 11:46:18Hmm I guess some people here have no tact

you mean me. I have tact, but we aren't at his funeral with his mourning family, we are on an anonymous net forum in a tiny secluded corner of the internet.

his entire life work had no practical application or relevance to physics. it was all in the highest ivory tower, purely theoretical, highly mathematical and very speculative - Blackholes, dark matter&energy, the bigbang theory of creation, and the fate of the universe billions of year from now.

Have you seen his papers? Just the titles alone should tell u there is something wrong.

" Information Preservation and Weather Forecasting for Black Holes." - Yep. Predicting weather around blackholes, hypothetical objects that we can't directly detect. And in this paper he actually says blackholes don't exist - it was in the news at the time 2014 hawking apparently retracts his lifetime belief in blackholes.

Vector Fields in Holographic Cosmology.
Holographic.
Cosmology.

Soft Hair on Black Holes.

Populating the landscape: A Top down approach.
uses string theory* to try estimate probability for different end states of the universe.

(* string theory is now largely defunct and rapidly losing credibility amongst theorists , it never had support from experimenters. see the book 'not even wrong' by Peter Woit for a drawn out explanation and history of String theory )

it was all fiction, a whole life of playing in a make believe world of mathematical speculation, free from the burden of experimental verification. And you lot should know from your own experience, without experiments to test your theoretical work, you'll go astray quickly. Coding is little different to physics in this respect.

Amon

He contradicted himself with his ideas. First he states information can never be destroyed then he goes on to say that when we die we disappear into nothing. We, by his own rules and mathematics, are information also. Our consciousness is information. Matter that exists apart from the universe as a different state of matter.

Our Human bodies are made from the same material that was present when the universe began. That's how old the matter that constructs the human body is. All that is within this universe is formed from the environment. Creation is different. If our consciousness is formed from existing matter within the universe then you as a sentient being, conscious and aware, would have known your existence, as you do now, also, from the moment the universe began. You didn't though. Your consciousness is not formed from existing matter within the universe, like your body is.

Ultimately, this means, that because your body is formed from existing matter within the universe, it must comply and is bound by the laws that govern the universe. If you were in a car crash and the car exploded with you in it, your body would be destroyed. The laws of the universe apply to everything born from its matter.

Your consciousness does not fall under the laws of the universe though. You are created from nothing within the universe. Yes your body is the reason you eventually existed, it is the machine that allowed your creation. This means that, yes, your body is destroyed in that car crash because all matter formed from the universe is bound by its laws, but, you, as a consciousness, a different state of matter, apart from the universe, remain.

The creator blessed us with eyes and ears within our mind so that we can hear and see ourselves in our own personal universe.

Your consciousness can never be undone. Once you are, you can never not be.

RemiD

his entire life work had no practical application or relevance to physics. it was all in the highest ivory tower, purely theoretical, highly mathematical and very speculative - Blackholes, dark matter&energy, the bigbang theory of creation, and the fate of the universe billions of year from now.
+1 . not a scientific mind imo, rather a "lost in his fantasies" mind...

but, you, as a consciousness, a different state of matter, apart from the universe, remain.
in your view of the world... i bet that you can't prove it... Conscioussness or the "spirit" may become the same that organic matter does : split in parts and reused by others organisms / spirits. (if we assume that something controls and gives life to an organism)
unless you have a good understanding about what is happening and you manage to "hack it" for your advantage, but most people don't do that...

Rick Nasher

@Amon
That sounds interesting, but is not something anyone currently can proof or disproof.
I do believe in a creator/God for have experienced to many odd things that just couldn't have been if it wasn't for something like that - unless we're all in a sim or perhaps I am and all everything else is a sim, or everything is entirely, for whatever the reason. :)

I don't think he meant 'nothing' in the sense you interpreted it.

@all
Also I do not feel a special affection or rate his ideas super fantastic, that should be seen as the an absolute truth, but neither did he. He himself said he was overrated and no match for Einsteins's genius.

Let's not forget science is build of theories upon theories most of which in time will be disproven, seen as wrong. It is never finished nor fixed. Einstein too thought about his work as incomplete and subject to change.

He was just a creative guy imagining, exploring ideas, just thinking about things, which is always good. Not that I ever believed in the string theory, just as much a I do not believe in dark matter's existence, things they 'invented' for otherwise the math doesn't add up, which is often the case if you do not really know what you are dealing with.

If you ask me all and every 'force' , space and time is just an observed side effect of matter/energy in motion to put simple(time will tell if I was right, literally lol) .

All I know is that I'll sort of miss his inspirational thoughts and funny Commodore-esk synth voice.  :(

Steve Elliott

Personally I don't think people that have accomplished in life no where near as much, should dance on his grave and think they know better, because they read something on the internet once.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

meems

>...and funny Commodore-esk synth voice.
I doubt you've heard the last of that. He wrote a lot of stuff and now his fans will want to listen to it all via his synthvoice. I expect they'll be plenty of his currently unpublished stuff being released in the near future.

Amon

We must all keep thinking. :)

IanMartin

I read some of his stuff and got a lot out of it. 

I think theories are just that, theories.  Somebody has to make that first guess, and look dumb when it's later proven wrong.  But without those people, we'd be stuck with only what people know is true, and there would never be any scientific progress.  Nobody is right all the time. 

I always liked his opinion that if we met life from another planet it would most likely be here to colonize us, but hey, I like the doom and gloom stuff.  heheheh

I will miss his robot voice.  Everything sounds more scientific that way.

Platfinity (made with BlitzMax) on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/365440/Platfinity/