Did I dream Blitz3D won't compile soon on windows last night?

Started by 3DzForMe, December 28, 2017, 09:20:31

Previous topic - Next topic

GaborD

Quote from: RemiD on December 30, 2017, 22:12:50
What happened to the "nuclearglory" basic/engine ?

I would say it died due to it's subpar pricing model (low one time fee, lifetime updates).
Basically, after a while it didn't support Matt anymore so he went off to do other things.
That's my take on it anyway.

I was hoping he would opensource it (I am surely not the only one who would have loved to see it finished up, PBRified, 64bitified and documented. We could have made a community driven project out of it), but oh well.
Luckily, so far it looks like AGK is very similar in terms of performance and the freedom to delve deep into the shader side of things, so it should all be good in the end. :D

Naughty Alien

What happened to the "nuclearglory" basic/engine ?

..this one looks very complicated..apart from things Gabor said, there are other problems, like, money exchanging hands while product is not delivered...then all went political (thats how it sounded) where author had to leave country?? ..i have lost nice money on that thing, including payed 500$ for some feature which should be integrated and never was....shame really as that tiny engine is fastest thing i have seen up to date..

Steve Elliott

Yep that was one very fast 3D Engine.  I was gutted when I could see Matthew becoming distant.

Ouch about the loss of money though.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

3DzForMe

QuoteThat's why i like Blitz3d, you have an idea, you code as you would think/speak, done ! ( but some others languages are good too in this aspect, fortunately !)

QuoteTime is too short to waste it. :D

yep ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

Yue

Just something to say, Blitz3D is still alive, I don't know how long it will be, but he's still fighting.

RemiD

What i find funny, is that the games made using AGK, triggered an error message on some computers, and asked to install something :
Failed to create XAudio2, make sure you have "directx end-user runtime" installed

Whereas, the games made using Blitz3d apparently worked well.

So no it is not dead yet !

3DzForMe

its fair to say. from the recent compo entries, it was indeed just a nightmare. Good old BRL released a swish piece of coding genius in Blitz3D that is, for want of a better word, ACE ;)
BLitz3D, IDEal, AGK Studio, BMax, Java Code, Cerberus
Recent Hardware: Dell Laptop
Oldest Hardware: Commodore Amiga 1200 with 1084S Monitor & Blitz Basic 2.1

RemiD

What i find good but surprising is how Blitz3d programs still works well on modern Windows OS, whereas some coders said that the engine was too old and that it was the end, more than 10years ago !

GrindalfGames

I guess blitz3D will continue to work fine until they drop 32bit support and who knows how long that will be

Pakz

I have seen that people are working on windows compatible os'es. React os is one of them I think. Maybe in the future these os'es will keep running b3d and 32 bit.

RemiD

since apparently 64bits computers / OSs have no problem to run 32bits softwares, not sure why 32bits softwares should not be supported in the future ?...

Rick Nasher

It will run as long as MS keeps the 32bit sub system in 64bit Windows.
Same as it has a 16bit sub system in Win 10 32bit.

So I guess when Win [whatever the version number] 128bit becomes a reality, they'll phase out 32bit and so on?