Announcing AppGameKit for Python!

Started by MichaelUK, March 09, 2018, 18:32:36

Previous topic - Next topic

MichaelUK

https://www.thegamecreators.com/post/announcing-appgamekit-for-python
Just seen this on Facebook you can now use Python to access AGK2 commands

TheGameCreators have teamed up with developer Adam Biser to trial his Python version of AppGameKit.

With the help of a Python PYD plugin, Python developers now have a way to access the AppGameKit game making commands.

This derivative version of AppGameKit makes the language easily accessible to the huge Python development community and we are excited to see Python users make it part of their tool set.

For more details and download access, visit:

AppGameKit for Python Website https://fascimania.itch.io/appgamekit-for-python

Pfaber11

Very good looks like AGK is going to be around for some time to come . Think I'll be sticking with the basic version though.
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Rick Nasher

I'm BASIC fan boy, but if I wanna pick up on Python then this a good stimulus to keep going.
Very nice.

MichaelUK

I am not into python myself but I am so happy with the development that is happening with AGK always something going on, new releases, bug fixes, make me a happy camper :)

Derron

Isn't this similar to a dll-wrapper done by an external person? So this seems to be a work of a person not associated to the AGK team. One could possibly write that for other languages too.

Most interesting part might be this:
QuoteYou can also save 50% off AppGameKit and any of the bundles by using this promo code during checkout:  AGKPYTHONDEAL50.
https://fascimania.itch.io/appgamekit-for-python

bye
Ron

Naughty Alien

..very cool..nice to see AGK exposed to other languages..

degac

QuoteThe Print method was renamed to draw_text so that it wouldn't be confused with Python's builtin print command. 

Well, not so 'portable' as I think...
(just looking at the page and discovering the 'warnings'... of course better than nothing)
If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.org

adambiser

Hi everyone, I hope that you're enjoying AppGameKit for Python!

@Derron: You're correct.  I'm not a member of the AGK team.  I approached them about the project and we came to an agreement so it can be released in its current state.  It could not have been released otherwise as it would go against their license.  This is a trial at the moment with the potential of becoming more official if get positive feedback from it.
"This Python version of AppGameKit is officially licensed by The Game Creators Ltd to Adam Biser."

If you find bugs in the project, I'm the one to contact about it.  I've set up a forum on the itch.io page which I monitor.  I'll subscribe to this thread, too.

@degac: Correct, it's not 100% portable from tiers 1 and 2 due to differences in how the Python language acts, but I tried to keep everything as close as possible.  In some cases, changes were unavoidable and when they were made, I went with the choice that seemed more Pythonic.

Changing Print/PrintC to draw_text was a difficult decision but I decided that it would be best not to have names that duplicated Python's builtin methods.  Using "from appgamekit import *" gives a slight performance boost over "import appgamekit" which some may want to use and the former would overwrite the builtin print method which could lead to confusion.

Pingus

Performance-wise, are there any advantage of using Python rather than Basic ?

adambiser

@Pingus: I did find that I could get slightly faster FPS in some cases while testing, but performance definitely wouldn't be a reason to switch from Tier 1.  For performance, C++ is definitely the way to go.

What Python does have over Basic is its more advanced programming structures and capabilities, such as classes, as well as all of its built-in and third-party libraries.

MikeHart

Why on earth did you basically change all the command names by introducing underscores in them?

MikeHart

And am i correct on assuming that it stops working after 12 months?

adambiser

@MikeHart: That is the standard naming convention for Python.
The purpose of the project is twofold: to give another option to existing AGK users and to attract Python developers to AGK.

Luckily, due to Python's flexibility, the names can be changed to whatever you want really.  A script that cross-references from the Python naming convention to the Tier 1 & 2 naming would be simple to do.  And if someone wants that, I can write a script to export all the commands so the Tier 1 & 2 casing can be used instead.

from appgamekit import *

Print = draw_text
del draw_text

Print now does what the draw_text method did and can be used the same way.  The draw_text method itself has been deleted and can no longer be used.

As for the 12-month trial period (from the project page under End User License Agreement):
"The end user is permitted to create any type of project with this PYD, freeware or commercial, even in the event that the trial period expires and this project is removed from distribution."
If The Game Creators decide not to continue the project, I will be taking down the PYD and PYI downloads.  However, those who have it are still free to use it and distribute games with it.  The files themselves do not expire, just their availability on the project page and users are also asked not to distribute them unless as part of a game package.

Rick Nasher

@adambiser

QuoteAs for the 12-month trial period (from the project page under End User License Agreement):
"The end user is permitted to create any type of project with this PYD, freeware or commercial, even in the event that the trial period expires and this project is removed from distribution."
If The Game Creators decide not to continue the project, I will be taking down the PYD and PYI downloads.  However, those who have it are still free to use it and distribute games with it.  The files themselves do not expire, just their availability on the project page and users are also asked not to distribute them unless as part of a game package.

Thanks for clearing this up. Indeed was a bit vague.

round157

Quote from: adambiser on March 10, 2018, 16:57:18
Hi everyone, I hope that you're enjoying AppGameKit for Python!

Hi, I think that you need to promote this software in the Python community(or the Pygame community) if you want to succeed. Right? Otherwise, not too many Python users will know the existence of this software.