Setting the IDE color (including widgets and menus) in Windows.

Started by Rick Nasher, March 06, 2018, 00:08:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Nasher

Worked!  8)

Many thanks.

[EDIT]
Tried a few different ones and what works best for me during night and daytime is indeed
in View->Color Scheme->Geany Tango Dark combined with adding include "../share/themes/ClearlooksDarkOrange/gtk-2.0/gtkrc" to
C:\Program Files (x86)\The Game Creators\AGK2\Tier 1\Editor\data\geany.gtkrc (below line 41 as you suggested)

geany.gtkrc

# make close button on the editor's tabs smaller
style "geany-close-tab-button-style" {
GtkWidget::focus-padding = 0
GtkWidget::focus-line-width = 0
xthickness = 0
ythickness = 0
}
widget "*.geany-close-tab-button" style "geany-close-tab-button-style"

# use monospaced font in search entries for easier reading of regexp (#1907117)
style "geany-monospace" {
font_name = "Monospace"
}
widget "GeanyDialogSearch.*.GtkEntry" style "geany-monospace"
widget "GeanyDialogSearch.*.geany-search-entry-no-match" style "geany-monospace"

# set red background for GtkEntries showing unmatched searches
style "geany-search-entry-no-match-style" {
base[NORMAL] = "#ffff66666666"
text[NORMAL] = "#ffffffffffff"
}
widget "*.geany-search-entry-no-match" style "geany-search-entry-no-match-style"

# document status colors
style "geany-document-status-changed-style" {
fg[NORMAL] = "#ffff00000000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#ffff00000000"
}
style "geany-document-status-disk-changed-style" {
fg[NORMAL] = "#ffff7fff0000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#ffff7fff0000"
}
style "geany-document-status-readonly-style" {
fg[NORMAL] = "#00007fff0000"
fg[ACTIVE] = "#00007fff0000"
}
widget "*.geany-document-status-changed" style "geany-document-status-changed-style"
widget "*.geany-document-status-disk-changed" style "geany-document-status-disk-changed-style"
widget "*.geany-document-status-readonly" style "geany-document-status-readonly-style"

#include "../share/themes/MS-Windows/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/Nodoka-Midnight/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
include "../share/themes/ClearlooksDarkOrange/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/ClearlooksDark/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/MurrinaNeoGraphite/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"
#include "../share/themes/Rezlooks-graphite/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

Again many thanks, this will really save my eyes and a lot of headaches.
[EDIT2]
Shared the solution on the AGK forums, just in case someone wonders how to do this too.
https://forum.thegamecreators.com/thread/221767#msg2620469

*And there's actually another(better) one for the widgets, menus and stuff then ClearlooksDarkOrange, called Adwaita, Zipfile posted by c0d3r9 here: https://forum.thegamecreators.com/attachment/81403"

Quote from: Derron on March 04, 2018, 11:18:55

To do this: Follow the instructions in
C:\Program Files\The Game Creators\AGK2Trial\Tier 1\Editor\Changing IDE Theme.txt

The above screenshot is using
include "../share/themes/Nodoka-Midnight/gtk-2.0/gtkrc"

(line 41 of the geany.gtkrc file)

You can even download new ones from www.gnome-look.org and other websites - should be for GTK 2.x then.

bye
Ron

Quote from: Rick Nasher on March 04, 2018, 10:48:04
QuotePS: Maybe Qube could split our posts into a new thread - from your "quoting me" phost about the trial up to this - to avoid derailing that thread.

Good idea. Qube?

Apparently they're using the default win gui colors(bright) and the GTK ones do not appear to be effecting this. Now MS in all it's wisdom has provided us with a 'nice'  setting under: "Personalize>Colors>Default app mode:Dark"

Which in theory changes the white backgrounds to dark, but-but-but.. as you might have guessed, not so well implemented, for soon as I open Notepad or even an Explorer window, surprise-surprise:  white background is back.
Only works onto parts of the OS gui the actually bothered to take a look at I guess, such as the new Settings panel..

Quote from: Derron on March 04, 2018, 08:59:30
As the other things are System-based widgets. Maybe you could edit your Editor/share/geany.gtkrc.windows and append some stuff to manipulate widget appearance but I never tried, so dunno if this would be successful or not.

Edit: having duckduckgo'd for "geany.gtkrc.windows dark theme" I found this:

geany with a dark theme (and German localization - which the AGK dudes removed somehow as I got only partial texts translated, even the most ones translated on my Geany are English on theirs)

http://www.henrykoch.de/en/geany-editor-in-ubuntu-configure-a-dark-colored-theme

bye
Ron

Quote from: Derron on March 04, 2018, 08:59:30
As the other things are System-based widgets. Maybe you could edit your Editor/share/geany.gtkrc.windows and append some stuff to manipulate widget appearance but I never tried, so dunno if this would be successful or not.

Edit: having duckduckgo'd for "geany.gtkrc.windows dark theme" I found this:

geany with a dark theme (and German localization - which the AGK dudes removed somehow as I got only partial texts translated, even the most ones translated on my Geany are English on theirs)

http://www.henrykoch.de/en/geany-editor-in-ubuntu-configure-a-dark-colored-theme

bye
Ron

Quote from: Rick Nasher on March 04, 2018, 08:46:44
Yep, it says "Built on Geany 1.24.1"

Set the Color Scheme to "Geany Tango Dark" which I like best for my eyes.
What I never get though is why in IDE's they let you change the color scheme *only* for the code itself, almost never for the menu bars, windows etc, so always leaving this too high contrast which pains my eyes.

Luckily you can swiftly swap using "Toggle All Additional Widgets" but that still leaves the Project pane which I then manually move out of the way, but still stuck with a menu bar of course..

Quote from: Derron on March 04, 2018, 07:23:57
Thanks Rick.

Is the IDE on Windows also based on Geany? (on Linux it starts a rebranded "based on Geany 1.24" variant of geany). As Geany is GPL some sources need to be provided too - at least they do for some stuff. Found the part for functions definitions (TagManager) but still looking for the Debugger-stuff. For my geany I made a BlitzMax-Module only being activated when focusing a .bmx file (it then adds compilation options + buttons to the menu) but it still misses the tooltips for functions (params), some kind of autocomplete and the debugger stuff.
At least they (AGK creators) chooses a fast and nice scintilla-editor as base.

bye
Ron

Quote from: Derron on March 01, 2018, 23:31:26
.. Did not have it installed as ... ok, it costs money? ... wanted to write I haven't had the motivation to try it out but ... it costs money so it is nothing I would choose now (while I understand that people want to earn things for a living).

*Free limited trial: https://www.appgamekit.com/trial

Rick Nasher

Update(seem to have forgotten to mention here):
For changing the font default font to a modern mono spaced type for easy align and readability I use:

In Preference>Interface>Fonts>
select..
Editor:         Montserrat SemiBold Semi-Bold 9
Symbol list:    Sans 7
Message window: Sans 9

https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Montserrat

GaborD

You'll be happy to know that Studio comes with the dark look (very similar to the settings you switched to) as default :)

Steve Elliott

You'll be happy to know that Studio comes with the dark look

A certain company added it to their OS as standard, not that they made a song and dance about it  ::)
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

Quote from: Steve Elliott on February 11, 2019, 18:07:28
You'll be happy to know that Studio comes with the dark look

A certain company added it to their OS as standard, not that they made a song and dance about it  ::)

As they all should!  ;D
Why on earth people ever decided it was a good idea to have black characters on bright white lamp shining in your face is still a mystery to me. Plus is bad for battery life on OLED screens.

Steve Elliott

Why on earth people ever decided it was a good idea to have black characters on bright white lamp shining in your face is still a mystery to me.

Trying to mimic traditional black ink on white paper, but yes for staring at a screen for lengthy periods it tires the eyes.
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

plenatus

indeed, white letters of black paper(or such colors) are better for the eyes.
And anywhere on the web i found a solution to invert pdf´s colors....some month ago....i can´t remember.

Rick Nasher

Until they get electronic ink / paper to work properly for computers, I think they should stick to the dark tones by default and make light themes optional for those with eyes made out of solid steel.  :))

GaborD

Yeah I wonder if anyone ever said "I totally prefer the bright theme, I want my eyes to hurt" :)

MikeHart

Quote from: GaborD on February 11, 2019, 17:52:46
You'll be happy to know that Studio comes with the dark look (very similar to the settings you switched to) as default :)
ROFL. And I saw that you can now start the ide with a random color. Each time you start it. Now if that is not innovation, then what is. And super feature that make everyone should by it. Jeez  8)

Rick Nasher

Rick Nasher

Hmm. Just installed the latest version of AGK, but was bit surprised to find that the editor that comes with it is a different version that doesn't allow for the previous approach on changing colors of the GUI.

This is a bit of a pity for I'm not too eager using the Studio IDE when things are changing and still buggy.
(no time to be guinee pig at this stage)

Not a happy customer here.

:(

blinkok

That seems really weird. I wonder why they would bother taking the time to remove that stuff when they're developing studio.
Maybe go back a version and copy over the compiler
Have you posted this over on the TGC forums?

plenatus

just copy geany.gtkrc from [...AgkStudio\media\data] into your AGK folder [...AGK2\Tier 1\Editor\data]  ;)

blinkok

That didn't work for me. Just changes the colours in the edit window, not in the other windows