Cerberus X v2018-03-02 released

Started by MikeHart, March 02, 2018, 22:26:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Derron

@ building for Linux.

Can't you run a Linux VM to build it in there?

Bye
Ron

GW

WINPHONE8?
Does that mean that the Xna/monogame target is working?

MikeHart

@GW: nope. It is the old target. That is all i can say.

@Derron: #1 my rig is so old i better not try. #2 i have zero experience with Linux.

GW

I think you should reconsider the XNA target IMHO. 
Monogame is api compatable with XNA and compiles seamlessly for all platforms (iOS, Android, MacOS, Linux, Windows, PS4, PSVita, Xbox One, Switch). It is also the fastest build target.

I can currently compile a monkey game for XNA, do 2 find/replace and build/run the game with 0 errors with MonoGame.
Personally, I believe that XNA/android performs better and has more features than the current Monkey/Cerberus Android target.

Not only is the Xna target not outdated, It's superior.

Derron

My computer is from 2010 (or 2011?) and was already a cheap one in that year (AMD LLano) so things wont matter that much. Give the VM 512 MB or 1 GB ram, 1 core to virtualize) and install a low-spec ubuntu/mint in it (Lubuntu, Mint with XFCE - or just LXDE). You will not have to work with it, so desktop environment (XFCE, LXDE, cinnamon, ...) is just there to ease the pain when configuring some stuff as a beginner - and there are premade ISOs :-)). The ubuntu base makes sure the compilates work on the big mass of linux developer computers. Also tutorials are easier to find. So people explain the "sudo apt-get install build-essentials" to you :-).
Once you finished, you just suspend the VM (like a savegame). Next time you need to compile a new linux variant you just resume that stuff, fetch latest sources from your network drive / github repo ...) and rerun the compilation process, copying back new binary files to your remote directory / creating new releases).

I am on Linux and do the opposite with Windows, running it in a VM just to check if my builds execute fine - and to create the binaries there without needing to setting up cross compilation (linux->win and mac->win is possible).

@ GW
Maybe automate the find-replace process (batch files or so) and so somehow enable the more versatile usage of this target.

bye
Ron

MikeHart

OSX version is available now too.

@GW: I ment, yes XNA is available. One of our users worked on that target. But I don't think that it uses Monogame. I have only Windows 7 so I can't work on that anyway, till I get funds for a decent computer and Win 10.

@Derron: All valid, once I find time to get myself familiar with Linux. I run an Athlon X2 255 with its buildin ATI HD4200 graphic unit. So your milage may varry.

GW

Quote from: MikeHart on March 03, 2018, 19:52:36
@GW: I ment, yes XNA is available. One of our users worked on that target. But I don't think that it uses Monogame. I have only Windows 7 so I can't work on that anyway, till I get funds for a decent computer and Win 10.

Just fyi, I use win7.  Monogame has no dependency on or association with win10.

Pfaber11

What is the difference between monkey 2 and cerberus X. I have used blitz3d in the past . Are there any similarities. 
HP 15s i3 1.2 upto 3.4 ghz 128 gb ssd 16 gb ram 15.6 inch screen. Windows 11 home edition .  2Tb external hard drive dedicated to Linux Mint .
  PureBasic 6 and AppGameKit studio
ASUS Vivo book 15 16gb ram 256gb storage  cpu upto 4.1 ghz

Derron

cerberus x is based on monkey x.
Monkey 2 is a complete new project by monkey-x creator Mark Sibly.

So Monkey 2 is so similar to Monkey-X as Monkey-X is to BlitzMax as to Blitz3D ...

bye
Ron