Author Topic: Blitzmax NG Installation Tutorial?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline degac

• graphio.net
Re: Blitzmax NG Installation Tutorial?
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2018, 03:47:07 PM »
I put online the BCC and BMK compiled and ready to be placed on the BIN folder of BlitzMaxNG
Source code: 04 march 2018
Compiled on Vanilla, MultiThreading (so it should be faster)
The zip file contains BMK.exe, BCC.exe, make.bmk, core.bmk and a .txt file

http://www.blitzmax.net/download/tools/BlitzMaxNG-bcc-bmk-04032018-mt.zip

If there's a problem, there's at least one solution.
www.blitzmax.net

Offline fielder

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2018, 06:52:24 PM »
very thank you Degac!!!

do you have any idea about adding an icon on 64 bit windows build?

usually i use this: windres -i resource.rc -o Generico.o -v

with the resource.rc:

Code: [Select]
101 ICON "generica.ico"

1 VERSIONINFO
FILEVERSION 18,0,0,0
PRODUCTVERSION 18,0,0,0
FILEOS 0x40004
FILETYPE 0x1
{
BLOCK "StringFileInfo"
{
 BLOCK "040904b0"
 {
  VALUE "Comments", "Official support: xxxxxxxxx"
  VALUE "CompanyName", "Centro test"
  VALUE "FileVersion", "28.xx"
  VALUE "FileDescription", "Test-sviluppo generico main application"
  VALUE "InternalName", "test-sviluppo-generico"
  VALUE "LegalCopyright", "Centro test" 
  VALUE "OriginalFilename", "TestSviluppo.exe"
  VALUE "ProductName", "Test-Sviluppo generico"
  VALUE "ProductVersion", "28.xx"
 }
}
BLOCK "VarFileInfo"
{
  VALUE "Translation", 0x0409, 0
}
}

this works fine on Win32 builds. (default compiler)

?Win32
Import brl.d3d9max2d
Import brl.directsoundaudio
Import "generico.o"
?

[EDIT]
a tried a lot.. and i found that it's possible to add icon using:
x86_64-7.2.0-release-posix-sjlj-rt_v5-rev0.7z (MinGW64 placed on Root ... and changed PATH on variables)
after that to create the .o using this:
windres resource.rc -o generico.o
[/EDIT]

Offline _PJ_

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2018, 06:40:35 PM »
Honestly, I've given up even trying to use any modules that aren't vanilla.

There are so many errors and problems associated with trying that I get so confused.

It's certainly not Brucey or any inndividuals' fault, those module creators have worked extremleyy hard and clearly these modules work and install well for plenty of other users.

The problem mainly resides with me:
my lack of understanding of terms such as "mingw" or what on earth are manifests / how they work as well as other programmer jargon makes a lot of the discussions around addressing issues a little inaccessible to me.
Overall though, my fear of breaking the BMax installation I have that works and source created within this is paramount.

Should there be some means to "simply" download and execute an installer that would incorporate what was necessary (perhaps with option checkboxes?)  to reliably result in useable environemtn would be extremely helpful, but I also appreciate the challenge in providing such, given that there are many modules of varying relevance to various projects and of which some may not be compatible with others.

Offline col

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 09:31:10 AM »
my lack of understanding of terms such as "mingw" or what on earth are manifests / how they work as well as other programmer jargon makes a lot of the discussions around addressing issues a little inaccessible to me.

Don't be to shy to ask questions about these things... not one single programmer in the world knew what these were at some stage in their life. Google is a pretty good place to start as there is so much wealth of information available that its overwhelming. Some information will be complicated and introduce new areas that you may never have heard of... Google those too and keep going until you have at least an understanding of what they are. Manifest files: you don't really need to know 'how' they work, you just need to understand the purpose of them - when you have a problem is when you can then google for information to see if adjustments in them could help resolve the issue that you're having.

For me personally, I'd describe my world of computing to be a 'practise', in the same way that a doctor or GP ( General Practitioner ) is 'practising' medicine ( swap medicine for IT ). I'm ALWAYS learning and I too feel that I know very little compared to what is available. Over time, and with a lot of practise and effort, you will become proficient and skilled enough to take on more and more complicated tasks that you may have deemed way beyond your abilities when you first attempted or even looked at them; tasks that seem very simple and straight forward for others but difficult for you will become simple and straight forward for you too.

The greatest experiences you'll gain are from doing things. For sure you'll get some things wrong, but with time you'll learn how to put them right, and quickly. The modules that you speak of would have taken many hours/days/weeks to get right - they would have all been 'wrong and broken' during development but you won't get to see that part as you end up seeing the shiny finished product, and not the blood, sweat, 'tears' of frustration that made it all happen. Oh yeah... handling frustration is a key skill to develop in order to stay calm and not give up with computers altogether!

If computing/programming is what you have an interest in then hang in there and don't give up, allow yourself the time to learn ( we all learn at different speeds ). Above all... keep 'practising' and have fun doing it! :)
Any bugs in my code are proof of its hand-coded nature.
https://github.com/davecamp

Offline col

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2018, 10:23:32 AM »
my lack of understanding of terms such as "mingw"

First off... there are many many operating systems available for your PC, and many versions of those operating systems too, this adds up to hundreds ( possibly thousands ) of various operating systems and versions that you can choose to use - you don't HAVE to use anything from Microsoft at all but you'll find that about 97% of the worlds software is created to run a Windows operating system. However remember that the world of IT is ridiculously huge so although it would seem MS has the lions share it still leaves a massive amount of software written for the other OSs ( for all manner of justifiable reasons - Windows and Microsoft are NOT the be-all and end-all of available computing ). This is all before we start talking about 'non-pc' environments which will use a variety of just as many different cpus from different manufacturers which will have just as many different configurations available. Windows works on just the x86 ( Intel designed ) and x64 ( AMD designed ) variety of processors from AMD and Intel. There is another version of Windows called WindowsRT, you could look it up for specs :). Other OSs will be designed/created to work with completely different CPUs altogether - it depends on the end purpose.

Anyway... to create software for those other systems/cpus there is a set of tools ( but not the only set of tools available! ) for compiling source code into executable code called the GNU Compiler Collection https://gcc.gnu.org/. That set of tools are very good at what they do but there was a time when they weren't available for Windows. Over time that compiler was ported to Windows and called 'MinGW' which stands for 'Minimalist GNU for Windows' http://www.mingw.org/. You'll find many tools get 'ported' to Windows and this is just one of them.

Hope it helps :)
Any bugs in my code are proof of its hand-coded nature.
https://github.com/davecamp

Online Steve Elliott

• You secure that shit Hudson!!
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2018, 05:02:16 PM »
Well said (and quite inspiring) col, computing can be very frustrating at times, you just need the patience to persevere and succeed.
Windows 10, 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, CPU Intel i5, 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)