Ooops
November 27, 2020, 09:00:36 AM

Author Topic: why did u stop BlitzMax and start on different language?  (Read 9934 times)

Offline Krischan

• Krischan's Homepage
Re: why did u stop BlitzMax and start on different language?
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2018, 06:30:17 PM »
I've just used the precompiled binaries from the link above and it ran out of the box. Recompile times are much faster than months ago, good work.
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
My Blitzbasic Archive | Extrasolar Project | My Github projects

Offline Derron

« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2018, 07:23:09 PM »
This is over 1 year old. Maybe you try a fresh variant (bugs fixed, new language features, less annoyancies - and it should compile/link faster).

bye
Ron

Offline LT

« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2018, 11:16:29 PM »
To answer OP's question:

I continue to use BlitzMax and have built a complete (mostly) 3d engine with VR around it.  Lately, I've been questioning the wisdom of sticking with it, though, for the same reasons other people in this thread have stated.  Getting my engine to be cross-platform seems like a daunting challenge, at this point.

Offline Naughty Alien

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2018, 12:17:42 AM »
...as much as AGK may feel 'noob' (im not sure what that supposed to be anyway), it does job without stress especially when we talk about targeting multiple platforms, both 2D/3D, it does support VR googles, shaders and so on, so im not sure whats 'noob' about that...all it does is makes me focus on making my game, rather than feeling like a 'pro' by using elegant 'pro' language and cursing every moment of its existence when i try to target anything but development platform..

Offline Qube

• Administrator
  • I mostly code at night... Mostly.
    • SyntaxBomb - Indie Coders
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2018, 12:44:25 AM »
agk seems too nooby
Perfect for my intellect levels and why I use it :P
Mac mini ( 2018 / 2020 ), 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, 1TB NVMe, eGPU Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B 27 Inch
Commodore VIC-20, 1.1Mhz MOS 6502 CPU, 5KB RAM, VIC ( 6560 ) GPU

Until the next time...

Offline meems

« Reply #35 on: March 01, 2018, 12:51:17 AM »
I expect you're right naught. I extrapolated from the 1st things i noticed. I thought about having to type out 'integer' so many times, and it filled me with dread. But, i'd get used to it, likely quicker than having to use caps in cerberus ( please tell me agk is not case sensitive! ).
then i notice you have to announce the for loop variable at next, like 'next n'. man, that is so old. I haven't seen that since acorn BBC and my commodore C16+4.
It just gives the impression of being gratuitously basic. Is it all like that? Well even if it is, I could get used to it. And maybe it works fine.
But I have other reasons for not wanting that. I think its good practice to avoid these mega basics, cos it makes u too soft. The real world of bad-ass ugly messy industry languages is there, so got to keep fit by using a not-so-basic language.

Offline Qube

• Administrator
  • I mostly code at night... Mostly.
    • SyntaxBomb - Indie Coders
« Reply #36 on: March 01, 2018, 01:03:52 AM »
I thought about having to type out 'integer' so many times
No you don't :)

You can use myVar ( integer by default ) myVar$ ( string ) or myVar# ( float )

then i notice you have to announce the for loop variable at next, like 'next n'.
Nope, that's optional

For count = 1 To 10
   Print count
Next

Works just fine.

please tell me agk is not case sensitive!
Is is not case sensitive \o/

It just gives the impression of being gratuitously basic. Is it all like that?
I think some find it a little wordy but I would not say it's gratuitously basic.
Mac mini ( 2018 / 2020 ), 3 GHz 6-Core Intel Core i5, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, 1TB NVMe, eGPU Radeon Pro 580 8 GB, LG Ultragear 27GL83A-B 27 Inch
Commodore VIC-20, 1.1Mhz MOS 6502 CPU, 5KB RAM, VIC ( 6560 ) GPU

Until the next time...

Offline ENAY

« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2018, 01:37:29 AM »
No language is perfect, it's not what it does now that's as important as "What will it do in 1 or 2 years time", "How much support will it get".

I've been with Unity since version 2, almost 6 years, and it's changed a lot over the years, compiles to absolutely everything and it's now even easier to use than it was in Unity2. And with more speed and reliability and features too.

Now back to B3D and especially Blitzmax. Blitzmax was very promising when it first came out, but as time went, and how complicated it (eventually) came to compile on Mac, let alone even considering Linux. My choice of dev was primiliary Windows so I just abandoned it for B3D, which at the time was much better, easier to use and could support 3D.

If Unity was good, then wasn't supported etc then I'd stop using it.
We've (and many others) been able to develop for Nintendo Switch many months before the Switch was even released.

As I mentioned before Unity feels like the B3D and Blitzmax's of 15 years ago. Back before giant corporations even thought about easy to use or multi compilable game programming languages.

I used B3D and Blitzmax because they were so easy, and at the time, the best to use. Now it's Unity that has stolen this limelight.

If Blitzmax in 2018 was awesome, well supported and had many platforms to compile for etc. I wouldn't be using Unity, that's for sure.

Offline GW

« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2018, 06:27:00 AM »
Blitzmax has been my main language for a long time, Recently I've put it aside in favor of C#.  I tried to use BmaxNG for my current project, but I cant seem to find a solution for dynamic audio buffers that works with android.  Brucey has vanished,  so I'm not able grovel and beg for a RayLib module or a custom SoLoud filter. So moved to c#. 

One really important thing is that the long term success of a language is tied to it's tooling.  Blide is a necessity, but it's abandoned and currently a pain in the butt play nice with NG.  Without good tooling a language will have a tough time surviving.

All that being said. I truly have a strong affection bmax and it will probably always remain my first or second choice for a project.

Offline RemiD

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 06:49:11 AM »
Now it's Unity that has stolen this limelight.
what a joke, some commands of unity are a nightmare to use compared to the equivalent in blitzbasic...
show us how to create a mesh / surface / vertices / triangles...

in blitzbasic : (a simple 3d square tile)
Code: [Select]
Mesh = createmesh()
Surface = createsurface(Mesh)
V0 = AddVertex(Surface,0,0,1)
V1 = AddVertex(Surface,1,0,1)
V2 = AddVertex(Surface,0,0,0)
V3 = AddVertex(Surface,1,0,0)
AddTriangle(Surface,V0,V1,V2)
AddTriangle(Surface,V2,V1,V3)
Updatenormals(Mesh)

show us the equivalent in Unity, and the equivalent in AGK, so that we can see how those languages are superior... :-*

The only advantage i see, is if you want to export your game for several OS...
(Tank Universal (blitz3d game) is still on the steam store...)
DualCore AMD E-450, 1646 MHz - 6 Go DDR3 1333 SDRAM - AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics (384 Mo) - Windows 7 Home Premium - DirectX 11.0

Offline ENAY

« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 08:56:46 AM »
Hey RemiD!

I thought this thread was about Blitzmax?

Show me some (a simple square tile) code in Blitzmax

Back at ya!  :-*

Naturally making a mesh in B3D is easy. In Unity it's certainly a bit trickier, not impossible though

https://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Mesh.html

Although that mesh can easily be compiled to Android, iOS, Vita etc. B3D would just be Windows.

Offline Derron

« Reply #41 on: March 01, 2018, 09:02:44 AM »
> Show me some (a simple square tile) code in Blitzmax
DrawRect(x,y,w,h)

:-p

bye
Ron

Offline playniax

• Playniax
« Reply #42 on: March 01, 2018, 09:21:53 AM »
I am still using BlitzMax as a toolmaker but I stopped using it for games because of monkey.

I spend a few weeks with Unity that I just can't get to like!!! and now looking seriously at AGK2 what I do like.

For AGK I even started a little library that I affectively call Pyro Mini LOL

And after all this experience I can say that Monkey2 if you forget about some issues that need to be addressed has the best syntax/ease of use/power!
(if you don't count the lower level languages)

Offline RemiD

« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2018, 10:46:09 AM »
@ENAY>>with blitzmax + minib3d or openb3d, the code would be very similar to what i wrote...
something like :
Code: [Select]
mesh:TMesh=TMesh.CreateMesh()
surf:TSurface=mesh.CreateSurface()
v0=surf.AddVertex(0.0,0.0,1.0)
v1=surf.AddVertex(1.0, 0.0,1.0)
v2=surf.AddVertex( 0.0,0.0,0.0)
v3=surf.AddVertex( 1.0,0.0,0.0)
surf.AddTriangle(v0,v1,v2)
surf.AddTriangle(v2,v1,v3)       
mesh.UpdateNormals()
Now, your turn  :-*

and i am also curious to see a code example to achieve the same (very simple) thing in AGK...

DrawRect(x,y,w,h)
i meant a mesh 3d square tile
 ;D
DualCore AMD E-450, 1646 MHz - 6 Go DDR3 1333 SDRAM - AMD Radeon HD 6320 Graphics (384 Mo) - Windows 7 Home Premium - DirectX 11.0

Offline MikeHart

« Reply #44 on: March 01, 2018, 10:52:11 AM »
For AGK I even started a little library that I affectively call Pyro Mini LOL

Hehe, that is what I did with my fantomEngine framework too back in the days.  :D

All now array based, where the index is basically the OBJECT.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal