Ooops
November 30, 2020, 11:25:10 PM

Author Topic: why did u stop BlitzMax and start on different language?  (Read 9952 times)

Offline Brucey

Re: why did u stop BlitzMax and start on different language?
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2018, 12:14:41 PM »
Mark ditched monkey for monkey2  8)
It will be interesting to see how Monkey III turns out!  8)

I only use 64-bit BlitzMax these days - on all of the three main platforms, and tend to only go back to 32-bit when I need to test something or am building 32-bit versions of say, wxMax... and the Raspberry Pi is 32-bit.

It's a shame that I couldn't easily gain access to the Switch - without being a game developer and having a plan for a game on their platform - as it's fun to get BlitzMax working on new targets. Given that someone has ported SDL for it, I don't think it would be impossible to get BlitzMax binaries running on it. But the only way I see this happening is to be part of a team that already has access to the SDKs/hardware... ah well :-)

Offline Derron

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2018, 12:33:53 PM »
Hmm, have a Wii laying around here ...

Maybe one does not need to have a team/sign-NDAs to be able to code for the Wii. Hey, you could even emulate it now. Dunno if it is that easy to find a team having Switch DevKits, the (official) SDK-access - and are searching for a new language/toolkit to try out :p

I could apply for a nintendo-developer thingie (just promote one of my casual game "wips" as a potential game - to avoid the sexual content TVTower offers with the description of erotic movies) either as individual or as company (have the VAT/Tax numbers if needed). Still I wont buy a switch (my younger brother has one - I think I played it one single time) or a dev kit (420 Euro). I assume Brucey would gain access too - just say you are writing a unity-like programming-toolkit and need access to the SDK.
The SDK was leaked some months ago but I doubt that will help.

bye
Ron

Online Steve Elliott

• elgol 2021
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 12:37:41 PM »
AGK... don't like style . e.g. x:integer. duh, what programmer doesn't shorthand the term integer ? is this the tip of the iceberg wrt agk mentality? might as well write out programs in plain english.

Agreed, it's far too wordy.

So you'll just have to choose the language you least detest.   :P
Windows 10 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Intel i5 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
MacOS Big Sur 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, Intel i5 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Intel i5 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
Raspberry Pi 400, Pi4, C64, ZX Spectrum Next.

Offline meems

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2018, 12:58:56 PM »
@brucey
...so why didn't u go to monkey?

@steve
i know its an irksome minor point. shouldn't matter rly. cerebus has an equally annoying aspect : case sensitivity. I've never seen the standard counter argument to case sensitivity overturned i.e. what lunatic needs distinction between variable, Variable, vArIAble, variABLE, VARIABLE etc. I'd think it was a funny joke, except some poor bastard actually implemented it in his language, and then other programmers copied him, like dumb sheep. Gives insight into how daft language programmers are. The cost of getting heavily involved in something is u often weaken your grip on reality and common sense.

Offline Derron

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2018, 01:31:17 PM »
@ Nintendo Switch
Seems a nintendo switch target wont happen so fast as nintendo wants each unity/godot/blitzmax-user (aka developer with that tool) to be a registered developer too (including the needed pitch for your project)

godot: https://godotengine.org/qa/9144/future-game-console-support
unity: https://answers.unity.com/questions/1384958/nintendo-switch.html
SDL: https://discourse.libsdl.org/t/sdl-for-consoles/22726

In other words: Brucey would not be able to push the needed changes to make it work with the SDL as soon as it hits some NDA barriers. This is also why you cannot open up Unity and just configure an "export to switch" target.

bye
Ron

Online Steve Elliott

• elgol 2021
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2018, 01:35:26 PM »
@meems I wasn't been sarcastic, I agree with you.

But the point is, it's a case of going with something that is gonna let you code a project without getting irritated every 10 seconds.  Only you can make that decision.  Ultimately every language is flawed in some way or another.
Windows 10 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Intel i5 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
MacOS Big Sur 64-bit, 8Gb RAM, Intel i5 2.3 Ghz, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 1536 MB
Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit, 16Gb RAM, Intel i5 3.2 GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 (2Gb)
Raspberry Pi 400, Pi4, C64, ZX Spectrum Next.

Offline Krischan

• Krischan's Homepage
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2018, 02:44:37 PM »
Another question is: what is your replacement language for Blitzmax now?

Currently I'm staying with Blitzmax because I didn't find a suitable replacement yet (for me). I took a look at Unity and AGK and even considered moving to C++ but none of these alternatives has found my attention yet for different reasons. I only fear I must take a decision in at least a few years when they drop 32bit support in Windows, if I want or not - or stop coding. :o
Kind regards
Krischan

Windows 10 Pro | i7 9700K@ 3.6GHz | RTX 2080 8GB]
My Blitzbasic Archive | Extrasolar Project | My Github projects

Offline Derron

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2018, 02:58:59 PM »
Maybe you should open up issues stopping you from using NG for 64 bit. And from time to time nag Brucey to fix the issues - sometimes he also comes up with nifty solutions exposing that your issue is not an NG issue but a simple "coding flaw" :-)

bye
Ron

Offline meems

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2018, 03:01:18 PM »
brucey has said he does 64bit bmax and i have faith in him. so the end of 32bit is not reason to move away from bmax. if a bmax noob like me can get ng working w/o knowing bmax, anyone can. its not hard + derron helped me at every stumble.

Offline iWasAdam

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2018, 03:02:30 PM »
variable, Variable, vArIAble, variABLE, VARIABLE
variable would be used within a function/method and would probably be local
Variable could be a function or global within a class
VARIABLE would usually be a const or static of some form - generally predefined elsewhere
_variable / _Variable usually internal class stuff

So Variable would be the access point for the internal _variable class definitions

vArIAble, variABLE are just dumb and are sackable offenses  :P

In essence (on the surface) they all are the same, but in practice there is a general programming method to naming.

Where this becomes more important is with the following sort of stuff
PageCoreTileNum.Value is far more readable than pagecoretilenum.Value and is easier to read (quickly) than Page_Core_Tile_Num.Value where the _ sort of breaks up the flow

Whereas
KEYPRESS_M
STORM_FOUNTAIN
MOVEMENT_LEFT

becomes easier to read and instantly recognisable as some form of static/const that is pre-defined

There are other notations which have the base type also added. E.G.
fX = float value X
iX = int value X
bX = bool value X
strX =string value of X

Again this sort of use allows someone else to instantly look at the code and know what is going on without resorting to finding header files, etc.

Offline meems

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2018, 03:07:58 PM »
>what is your replacement language for Blitzmax now?
bmax-ng ! :)
i've been looking at AGK and cerebus today. agk seems too nooby, while cerebus seems too advanced. both have annoying aspects. agk is the nextgen of darkbasic, so the nuances of the language will be unfamiliar to a blitzer like me.

The only reason i'm thinking of shifting is no html5 platform in bmax, but really the browser game market isn't that big, and is in slow decline atm.

Offline Krischan

• Krischan's Homepage
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2018, 03:35:08 PM »
Oh yes, BMAX-NG is on my list, too. But so far, the compilation times of Blitzmax NG have deterred me from using it (compared to Blitzmax they felt like 10-100x slower which is a no-go to me).
Kind regards
Krischan

Offline Derron

« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2018, 03:44:45 PM »
Did you try with the latest commits? I did a small commit some weeks ago - and brucey did some more commits and improved compilation times another big step. So if you did not update your BCC/BMK combo for some weeks, do it now :o)

bye
Ron

Offline Krischan

• Krischan's Homepage
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2018, 05:45:33 PM »
Not yet but good to know. Do you mean "BlitzMax Win32 v0.87.3.16" from https://github.com/bmx-ng/bmx-ng/releases? Sounds still like 32bit? What about a x64 version for Windows?

EDIT: ok got it running. WOW. I've tried my Normalmap Creator in win32/x64 Architecture mode and the compilation time is twice as fast now (3000ms vanilla vs. 1500ms NG). I think I must take a closer look now :P
Kind regards
Krischan

Offline Derron

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2018, 06:04:43 PM »
Just compile the most current sources with your vanilla blitzmax installation. It is pretty straightforward (compile bcc, copy bcc to ng\bin, compile bmk, copy bmx + some .bmk files to ng\bin, install/copy a MinGW to ng\MinGW32, download and copy brl.mod / pub.mod from the ng project and copy to ng\mods).

If you have trouble doing that, create a thread in the bmx/bmxng subforums.

Edit: ok you edited your post meanwhile ... some improvements could be done when updating the vanilla\bin\bmk.exe with an updated one - especially if you already used Brucey's bmk.exe in your vanilla installation.

bye
Ron

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal