Listening to down-pitched music

Started by Kryzon, March 03, 2018, 01:04:42

Previous topic - Next topic

Kryzon

Hey
It's a really simple silly thing you can do, and sometimes it works: some music can sound good or "different" when it's downpitched.

Example:
Top Gear Intro.mp3
Top Gear Intro (Slow).mp3 (Slown-down version)

Kirby Urlun Star.mp3
Kirby Urlun Star (Slow).mp3 (Slown-down, see the different mood that comes up)

You can do this easily with the VLC player. You go to Tools -> Preferences -> Audio, then uncheck "Enable Time-Stretching audio". By unticking it, when you change the playback speed (below the control bar, it's the "1.00x" control, I like 0.85x), it doesn't try to preserve the speed, so it just pitches the song down and it becomes slower.

I noticed this works better with instrumental-only music (vocals might sound too deep and weird), and obviously with rich, cocaine-tier fast paced music. If you have a piece of music that you like but you got bored from listening to it too much, give this a try.

Rooster

You can also speed up music too. ;)

I didn't know about the speed controller in VLC, seems like a faster way to try different speeds then what I was doing.

meems

I often do this. faster for adrenaline rushes. Slower for brooding, thoughtful, trippy experiences.

RemiD

thanks for the tip !

to code / graph during the morning / day, i prefer to listen to "energyzing" music like "progressive electro" (without voices) :
di.fm/progressive

and to code / graph during the evening / night, i prefer to listen to "calming" music like "ambient space electro" (without voices) :
di.fm/spacemusic

peteswansen

"Goldwave" program https://www.goldwave.com/ is a very nice audio file converter, player, and it also has a ton of nice effects like slowdown,speedup, reverb, echo....