Nintendo Switch

Started by Steve Elliott, February 27, 2018, 18:41:44

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Elliott

I'm quite tempted by the Switch. Games Console, and Mobile Games Console in one.

Anybody got one, or thinking about getting one?
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

iWasAdam

I got one. It's lovely. playing mario kart on the sofa - brilliant.

Not connected it to the tv yet though. The controllers and very neat. there are times you can feel the music through them.

Games are great, some don't work well on the small screen - Zelda for one. Splatoon2 looks great but I don't like the way the control is set up - maybe look into that one. Mario Kart (as said it's worth it for this alone) brilliant fun, mario odyssey.. Gorgeous.

Word of warning. Nintendo store is the most expensive for indie games.

I'm waiting for new Yoshi game....

Goodlookinguy

It's a lively console. It has the power I've been looking forward to on a handheld for years. Vita almost had it, but wasn't quite there. I'm not a huge Nintendo games person, but there's quite a few non-Nintendo titles that sold me on it. Most of which are on other systems, but I've loved handheld consoles ever since the days I used the original GameBoy and Sega GameGear. So I always prefer portable versions.
I'm insane and not in a funny or good way! nrgs.org

therevills

We got a Switch at Christmas, nice little machine... Mario Odyssey is a fantastic game, Mario Kart is great and we've got the Kingdom Battle which is cool if you like XCom type of games.

Holding off getting Zelda for now as I have way too many games to play at the moment!

fairgood

got one for the kids at christmas, has been used more in the last few weeks
than the XBox got used in the 4-5 years we had it
Had a game of Super Mario Odyssey and have got compeltely addicted

Yellownakji

Old topic, I know.   Just wanted to give the heads up that after discussing it with Brucey for sometime and getting things in place, BlitzMaxNG 0.98 now supports Nintendo Switch homebrew with SDL.  It's very very basic right now; just enough for things to run but you can compile a '.NRO' and run it on the RyuJiNX emulator.   albeit the emulator is still and infant and total poop, but it boots to a mere 8fps.  I'm sure it'll run better on the actual system.

Derron

Hmm, have no Switch here (except a LAN switch .. ha...ha).  But I have a Wii ... modded and ready to boot up stuff.

bye
Ron

Qube

The misses wants a Switch now they've announced they are doing a Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing game for it.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Yellownakji

Quote from: Derron on September 19, 2018, 19:46:58
Hmm, have no Switch here (except a LAN switch .. ha...ha).  But I have a Wii ... modded and ready to boot up stuff.

bye
Ron

I'm working up on convincing Brucey to add Dreamcast support next since there are third party development tools readily available, you can still publish games to disc with a few different companies and it runs on WindowsCE which i believe is arm based.  Switch is arm based so there should not be too many issues.

I'm just compiling a list of links for brucey as an overview so he does not have to research himself.
Quote from: Qube on September 19, 2018, 23:39:25
The misses wants a Switch now they've announced they are doing a Luigi's Mansion 3 and Animal Crossing game for it.

Excited for Luigi 3.. even though i didn't like the 2nd one and it seems to have the same elements of the 2nd one but worse..  hm..

therevills

Quote from: Yellownakji on September 19, 2018, 13:41:35
BlitzMaxNG 0.98 now supports Nintendo Switch homebrew with SDL.

Very cool!

iWasAdam

hmmm. Surly homebrew is not really supporting anything?  :-\
to support the switch means it runs on the switch with no jailbreaking?

Yellownakji

Quote from: iWasAdam on September 20, 2018, 11:37:35
hmmm. Surly homebrew is not really supporting anything?  :-\
to support the switch means it runs on the switch with no jailbreaking?

It's homebrew because it uses Devkitpro's LibNX and Switch-SDL2...  (as well as some other things but i cannot say for legal reasons)

If you'd like a true retail-flagged compile, please provide Brucey with a partner-level SDK ;)  ---  Until one is up for grabs, we're stuck with the homebrew flag.   But it's still something.

I can provide Brucey with ProDG for Gamecube, which is partner-grade.   But i'm really pushing for Dreamcast next and i've submitted the necessary information to Brucey.  Waiting for him to get back to me on that.   He's busy, so we'll just have to wait.

But again, Brucey poured a lot of hours into reverse engineering questionably obtained materials so that we could even compile, so homebrew is a VERY well accepted start.  Many many thanks to Brucey for the effort.  There were a lot of..  interesting hurdles to get to this point.

Derron

Do not forget that you most often are not allowed to distribute "official targets" to "everyone". There is a reason why you could export for various consoles with Unity - but you do not have a "export to Playstation" in a default installation. Only developer accounts are allowed to do so. And these accounts come with some terms you need to agree to.

bye
Ron

Yellownakji

Quote from: Derron on September 20, 2018, 12:14:57
Do not forget that you most often are not allowed to distribute "official targets" to "everyone". There is a reason why you could export for various consoles with Unity - but you do not have a "export to Playstation" in a default installation. Only developer accounts are allowed to do so. And these accounts come with some terms you need to agree to.

bye
Ron

I do have a Nintendo NDA license.   But they only *officially* offer 3DS and Wii U.   You must be 'accepted' into the switch program by submitting a WIN32/OSX build of your project for review.  Then sign a whole bunch a paperwork.

Of course, having a BMX official branch that's secret / not disclosed publically would be useful.    anyways tho, the NX branch is homebrew so no-worries.   However, gamecube licensing is long since dead and you can get the SDK online so, i'm sure for gamecube and dreamcast, it wouldn't matter.

@unity

If you pay a few hundred dollars more, you can get the PS/XBOX package.  same with game maker studio 2.   --  you'd just have to buy a devkit then, after signing on with sony or microsoft.

meems

>I'm quite tempted by the Switch. Games Console, and Mobile Games Console in one.
You're better off with a gameboy advance than all this modern 3D on a turkish delight sized screen crap.