"caves 3d" (explore caves, avoid harmful things, find the exit)

Started by RemiD, February 18, 2018, 00:13:08

Previous topic - Next topic

RemiD

It would look better if the stalagmites and tights were better merged with the floor / ceiling - might just be the normals though.
this is because the stalagtites / stalagmites are not merged with the floor or the ceiling, however, you just gave me an idea on how to "fake it" (by adding more vertices at the base, with the normals pointing downward (for stalagtites) or upward (for stalagmites)), i will try...

About the structure of surfaces, for this game is use "shared vertices shading", what you use in your polymaniacs game is "flat shading" if i remember correctly. (i have also another procedure to rebuild a surface in what i call "realistic shading" where new vertices are created if the angle between 2 triangles is more than +89 or less than -89). Each his own tastes / preferences...

Rooster

Naughty Alien

..so far looks very nice..i like it..ill keep my eye on this :)

Qube

Quote from: RemiD on March 04, 2018, 16:56:40
Today i have added crystals (as lightsources), and stalagtites stalagmites.

I have not coded the vertices lighting shading procedures yet, so it is still too "bright" for the ambiance that i want, but nice nonetheless...

Looks kinda eerie :o - Nice nice nice :)
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

Derron

I vote too for improving the way the stalagmites/-tites "come out" from the wall - they should more look like "growing". So ground must slowly morph into these objects to avoid "sudden changes" (just look at the lighting of the stalagmites in the front right)). Maybe that changes when texturing them by hand (painting a bit darker here and there) but just keep an eye on it.

@ glowing crystals
They seem a bit "unified" in their length, maybe make them here and there a bt shorter - and also some should be thicker. maybe it is the scaling which hides that.

@ narrowness
make either sure that you can walk on all areas (just look at the screen's left) or that you cannot move into areas making you either see clipping errors or to get "stuck" needing exact maneuvres to get out of there.

bye
Ron

RemiD

What is interesting to note, is that, apparently, from the comments that you wrote, it is possible to create a nice scene without using "detail textures". (in this scene there is only one material using one 8w8h texture per kind of shape (one for the floorswallsceilings and stalagtites+stalagmites, one for each crystal)

This means that the modeling of shapes and the UVmapping is greatly simplified.

What makes the environments looks nice, is mostly because of irregularities and the different shades produced by vertices lighting shading.

I already talked about this approach, basically, instead of spending time UVmapping precisely and texturing, you create one 128w8h texture (or something similar) and you put several 8w8h colored rects on it, one for each color you want in your mesh, and then you model the different parts using different colors so that you can select the triangles of a part and UVmap all the vertices at the center of a 8w8h rect on the texture.

I plan to create all the models for this game, using this approach, and rely on the shades produced by vertices lighting shading, to make it look nice. We'll see...

RemiD

@Derron>>i will focus on little details and variety later, i focus on the essential for the moment.

About narrow passages, all is ready for nodes, links, path calculation, path following, no worries...

RemiD

I was searching on the interweb for infos about things which compose / are in caves, and i found this :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC41M7RPSec
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlLKjKgV5So
So beautiful and surprising isn't it ? Lightsources in caves !

Rick Nasher

Steve Elliott

..so far looks very nice..i like it..ill keep my eye on this :)

Agreed.  Keep experimenting...
Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

RemiD

A few updates :
->i have replaced the pointy stalagmites by roundy stalagmites
->i have removed the luminous crystals, and added luminous worms on the ceiling
->i have started to code a new procedure especially for this game, for the vertices lighting shading
After some thinking about how to produce a nice lighting shading, similar to the "glow worms" in the videos, i have decided to use this approach :
each light source (each luminous worm) (up to 30 per area), will emitt 2 kinds of light, an intense light with a short range, and a weak light with a far range. This way there will be nice intense colors on the surfaces near the lightsources, but the surfaces which are far from lightsources will be lighted only slightly, just to discern them, but i want to keep a dark ambiance, similar to what we can see in the movies "the descent".
I plan to maybe update the lighting shading in real time, depending on on fast it is to do that...

Here is a screenshot of the first step of the vertices lighting shading system :

you can see the lightsources of different colors, and a distance attenuation, and a blending between different colors when they overlap.

Next step : add an angle attenuation (depending on the angle between light->vertex vector and vertex normal vector)

Then add the intense lighting shading of near vertices, and the weak lighting shading of far vertices.

Then add a glow effect on the luminous worms.

(Then maybe add a custom cone light, to reproduce how a torchlight lights)

Then i don't know, maybe work on the gameplay ;D

Rick Nasher

Looking really good. Vid/gif? Can't wait to see this in action.

RemiD

Looking really good.
this is a debugging render, ;) , (to check if the distance attenuation is calculated correctly, and if the different colors blend properly) but glad that you like it

After a new look at the "glow worms" videos, i think that to reproduce this kind of lighting shading it would be simpler to have lightsources which produce an intense light with a very short range, and then an ambient light on all surfaces, and a circular flare on each lightsource...
Not sure which method i will end up using, but what i have just explained would be really fast to update/render compared to the previous method.

Rick Nasher

Looks uniquely different. Unlike so many things looking all the same.

RemiD

Looks uniquely different.
indeed, that's because the method / formulas i use for this lighting shading system, is unique, unlike most others devs who use the built in lights which have the exact same method / formulas for lighting shading... ( except Gabor  :D ) ( impressive screenshots about lighting shading and shadows, on the nuclear glory forum )