Earthquake in the UK - We're all dooooomed!!!

Started by Qube, February 17, 2018, 17:16:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Qube

Biggest earthquake in a decade strikes the UK.

Yup, a whopping 4.4 magnitude earthquake, lol ( ickle wobble in reality ) has caused havoc and it's reported that even a few garden gnomes have fallen over. This event along with the recent snowmageddon ( a few centimetres and the UK practically shuts down ) is surely a sign of the impending apocalypse.
Mac Studio M1 Max ( 10 core CPU - 24 core GPU ), 32GB LPDDR5, 512GB SSD,
Beelink SER7 Mini Gaming PC, Ryzen 7 7840HS 8-Core 16-Thread 5.1GHz Processor, 32G DDR5 RAM 1T PCIe 4.0 SSD
MSI MEG 342C 34" QD-OLED Monitor

Until the next time.

meems

i didn't notice anything in yorkshire. the last brit one we were quite near in the epicentre, it sounded like a train rumbling, and rocked us like one too for about 5 seconds.

dawlane

Quotei didn't notice anything in yorkshire. the last brit one we were quite near in the epicentre
Must have been the one near Market Rasen back in 2008 with the after shock that happened an hour later. Those hit wit a magnitude of 5.2/5.5. I recall that a man from Barnsley got injured in his bed when this chimney collapsed on top of him.

I'm just waiting now for the sink holes caused by mining to open up now and swallow the house.

Quotesnowmageddon ( a few centimetres and the UK practically shuts down )
Yep. I remember the days when you could get a foot or more of snow and still everyone made it into work and the schools didn't close because the teachers couldn't get in, or the boiler was on the blink. I remember once that the heating didn't work at school and the weather was very bad. Did we get sent home? No, we were told to keep our coats on and to get on with it. They would have only sent us home if there was no water to flush the bogs, or no water to make the teachers coffee.

There are just too many snowflakes in this society now, afraid of getting a bit of a sniffle if the room temperature drops below 22C. And here's me, dressed in just a tee shirt, jeans, hard hat and overalls when working out side in temperatures of -15/20C and wanting to strip off because I'm sweating like a pig.

cpsmith0191

Ay It's grim up north. As for snowflakes have you seen the numbers showing a dip in deaths/injuries caused to road workers/construction workers thanks to better health and safety ( hi vis etc ), fewer casualties among fishermen thanks to massive improvements to maritime safety, fewer casualties to agricultural/horticultural workers thanks to improved safety and risk awareness. At the end of the day this translates into fewer kids without parents, fewer loved ones in grief, fewer cripples having their dreams curtailed and a more productive society. So if this is being a snow flake then long live snow flakes. Have fun cps.

RemiD

And here's me, dressed in just a tee shirt, jeans, hard hat and overalls when working out side in temperatures of -15/20C and wanting to strip off because I'm sweating like a pig.
i do that sometimes, depending on the kind of manual work you do, if you move enough, cold does not affect you (until a certain limit...), tshirt and sunglasses in the negative temperatures 8) (except for the tips of the fingers, i wear winter gloves and winter boots)

Yue

I'm glad you're all right, here we only hear about Central America (Mexico)an earthquake of 7.2 with five hundred aftershocks.

RemiD

ENAY must have experienced some strong ones (Japan?)

Yue

Recently trembled here in colombia Pacific Ocean , 4.8.   :'( :'( :'(

Is this normal?

ENAY

Living on the fourth floor of a four floor block of flats, we can feel earthquakes fairly often, maybe about one a week. Hasn't been too many in recent months though. 4.4 isn't all that big unless you're standing in the radius where the earthquake erupts. If a city has less 4, it's can sometimes barely even be noticable in the nearest city.

It all depends as well on time of the day and what you're doing on how big an earthquake you think.

You'll feel an earthquake most when you're lying down in bed, especially on an old unsturdy, sitting down instead of steading up. Whilst walking, or in a train, bus you won't even be able to feel even a medium sized earthquake. If you're running, swimming or on a boat you won't feel a thing unless it's really big.

meems

Quote from: cpsmith0191 on February 18, 2018, 01:15:12fewer casualties among fishermen
Sea fisherman is still the most dangerous mainstream job. It's always tempting to go out in rough seas cos less boats go out, any that hawl fish will sell them for a better price. The only job that comes close to fishing wrt danger is logging - footing is so dodgy, logs and branches everywhere to trip on means that when u need to get out the way of a falling tree  u will fall as u try run instinctively w/o checking your footing. These 2 main jobs are much more dangerous than others.

Steve Elliott

Don't worry, we will re-build.   ;)

Win11 64Gb 12th Gen Intel i9 12900K 3.2Ghz Nvidia RTX 3070Ti 8Gb
Win11 16Gb 12th Gen Intel i5 12450H 2Ghz Nvidia RTX 2050 8Gb
Win11  Pro 8Gb Celeron Intel UHD Graphics 600
Win10/Linux Mint 16Gb 4th Gen Intel i5 4570 3.2GHz, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 2Gb
macOS 32Gb Apple M2Max
pi5 8Gb
Spectrum Next 2Mb

Rick Nasher

Never experienced a quake here(other than the game  ;) ) , due to thick clay ground layer most of the country sits upon. Unlike the north though: excessive gas mining let up to quakes over there as it's causing the ground to sink. People pretty scared and p*ssed with the gov.

Room temps of 22degrees?? You savages!  :P Me and my gf can't do below 24degrees unless were working on the house. But then again, she's from the Caribbean and I'm spoiled because of that. lol

Yue

I read that the increase in earthquakes worldwide is due to the exploitation of fossil resources by injecting water into the earth, and that after 100 years the earth is passing bill collection.  Will that be true?